• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 151 Replies 151
Contributor ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe.

I don't remember now, but I think I experienced this sporadically with Ventura. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned rulers off and that solved it for now. Yikes. Super annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to the pile, same issue here (macmini 2018, current OS), hiding rulers seems to have fixed it in light testing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch out when you try to drag guidelines from the rulers...the screen turns white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening int InDesign 2024? I went back to 2023 after Adobe didn't figure out how to port the preferences over from 2023 on install and I'm on a new M2 Studio and BLINK BLINK BLINK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Design 19.0
Just updated it a week ago.

--
Seth Levinson, Design
(@Seth LevinsonThis is a public forum. All of your personal contact information from your email signature was removed for your safety. Please take care to remove it prior to posting here. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seth - 

Sorry not understanding the context of your message. 

I'm asking if this is only occuring to people using 2023, or if people are experiencing it running 2024 (v19.0), are you confirming that?

I have both 23 and 24 (18.5 and 19.0) but as I mentioned I'm not going to use 2024 till they get the preference import fixed. If its an issue in 2024 then a new thread should be started since this one is somewhat erroniously marked as solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with both 2023 and 2024.  I think it is a result of Sonoma.  I did not have any problems with 2023 until my computer automatically installed Sonoma.  I am using the no-ruler solution for now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, sorry if I've confused things by posting in the wrong place. Yes, the
problem I'm having started when I updated to InDesign 19.0
Problem's definitely not fixed. I've turned off rulers which is a patch for
now but a drag if I need rulers.

Seth

--
Seth Levinson, Design
(@Seth LevinsonThis is a public forum. All of your personal contact information from your email signature was removed for your safety. Please take care to remove it prior to posting here. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Seth Levinson and @vanessaf83177691 just confirming that you are not on a Pro machine or a Mac Studio? Others have mention MacBooks and MacBook Airs not having the ability to turn on the GPU Performance. But if you are on a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro or Mac Studio the trying goin in to Prefrences > GPU Performance and check the GPU Performance box. Personally I like to leave the "animate zoom" turned off. This does seem to fix the issue (and let you have your rulers back) for those that have a Mac that supports the feature.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Mac Mini M1 2020.  I can find all kinds of GPU files in my Activity Monitor but I do not think there is a way to turn them on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems on some systems (like my Macbook Pro) one can't turn the GPU off/on

--
Seth Levinson, Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey vanessa, sounds like that might not have been clear what I posted. You don't need to go in Activity Monitor. This is the Preferences for InDesign. towards the bottom. Attaching a screen image. 

GPU Performance in InDesign Preferences menuGPU Performance in InDesign Preferences menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Went there but guess my there is no compatibility with my Apple M1.   Both options are grayed out.   Thank you, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine are greyed out as well.

[image: Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 17.38.49.png]

--
Seth Levinson, Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning on GPU

Count it all joy!
Deb Haggerty

@Deb Haggerty: This is a public forum. All of your personal contact information from your email signature was removed for your safety.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had to look up GPU 😉

Macbook doesn't have that option. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on GPU on my M2 Mac Studio seems to have fixed it. I did that last night before closing the document but the limited amout of time I've spent in InDesign today it has yet to blink once. 

There should be a way to report this as the CORRECT answer. 

Kind of annoying that the "correct" answer above is just, we don't support that hardware or OS. 

Well, that link above now shows M2 as being supported, and of course Sonoma is out offical now, not beta anymore, yet Adobe still doesn't support Sonoma a month after its release. Oh and of course they had Sonoma available to them since June...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Air M2 does not support GPU, so that solution will not work for Air-users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunate. Seems its only on the MacBook Pros, Mac Pros and Mac Studios. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work (turning on/off GPU) for Macbook Pros either.

--
Seth Levinson, Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that really odd. My MacBook Pro, an M1 on Sonoma has the GPU turned on and I'm not having the issue. It was my M2 Studio with Sonoma that for some reason had it turned off, guessing cause I recently move over from an old Intel Mac Pro and probably had it off in the settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, until it's fixed there is no way to know who's bug this is. If an O/S update fixes it, then it's the O/S; if an InDesign update fixes it, it's an Adobe bug.

But it was indeed the O/S that changed, just as it was the O/S that changed when Apple updated Ventura to 13.5 and fixed all kinds of crashing issues with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thia Mac bug is solved by updating to Sonoma 14.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, how about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines