• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 151 Replies 151
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read this entire discussion? Please do and you will find the workarounds for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I read the entire discussion... Bob.

Not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is this.

By @jjDemir

Are you on Sonoma, @jjDemir?

If yes, "this" is updating your operating system before it is supported on an all applications. InDesign is not yet supported on Sonoma. Unfortunate things like this are going to happen until it is. The burden is on us — the users — to not upgrade our operating systems until we are sure that our applications will run on them. If you would like to roll back to Ventura, that will take care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on an older laptop, same issue. Can not isolate to Sonoma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jjDemir:

OK, so you are using Sonoma on one Mac? What operating sytem, exactly, and what version of InDesign are you using on the older laptop?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what ever problem you have is not at all related to what's being discussed here. You will get more help with a new discussion with full system details as well as screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having same issues too - when I'm making edits to tables Ive created in Indesign. Every time I select a couple of rows to delete it flickers like crazy and I cant tell what I've selected. What's annoying is that I only upgraded to Sonoma because Indesign kept crashing on my macbook everytime I opened it, so I thought it was because my OS wasn't up to date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason it was crashing was because there was a bug in Ventura that Apple fixed in 13.5. You zoomed right past that into the bugs in Sonoma causing the flickering. Roll back to Ventura and update it to 13.6.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! So Ive upgraded my bugs! Thanks for the tip, realistically I probably wont have the time/inclination to do it but at least know I now it wasn't me. Will hang out for hopefully for Adobe's Sonoma compatible upgrade soon-ish. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @meegee:

Unfortunately, the InDesign crashes you were experiencing were most likely related to an early Ventura bug that was solved by updating to Ventura 13.5 or later. Leaping to Sonoma introduces new issues as you have just discovered. If you can roll back to Ventura and then just update to Ventura 13.6, that would be the best thing for now and will provide the stable environment we are all seeking.

Otherwise, hiding the rulers has helped with the flickering for some people.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Ive just seen all the correspondence for this topic! :O. 
Thanks for the feedback and have quickly tested out your suggestion and it works. Its not ideal but its better than nothing at this stage! Thanks for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody start a new thread...this one has cobwebs. WHEN WILL ADOBE SUPPORT APPLE'S M2 CHIP????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with the chip. It's about a bug in Sonoma that has to be fixed by Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, if you read my post I said that a new thread should be started. You need to get a life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So start one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue! so frustrating. Now reading Indesign is not yet supported on Sonoma. So question is how to Uninstall Sonoma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, you're probably better off waiting for Sonoma 14.2. Or...you can join the MacOS beta program and install it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a 'bug' in Apple's Sonoma, nothing for Adobe to fix. Apple fixed in in Sonoma 14.2 beta 4 as I myself tested that now. So it seems things will be fixed in the coming Sonoma 14.2 release (but you can already install the 14.2 beta if you want...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and they broke it again in the layest beta release RC1 of Sonoma! The bug that was fixed in the previous beta is back in its full glory in yesterdays release 😩 Thanks Apple 😡

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to have an epilectic seizure trying to work while my screen bugs out. THIS IS WHY I HATE UPDATING MY SYSTEM! It just gets worse each time. Now I'm off to read through everyone's posts and see if anything will help calm the flicker down enough that I can get some work done. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close the rulers.
Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe InDesign 19.0.1 installed on my iMac (3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9) running Sonoma 14.2.1 is a total waste of time. I can't work on graphics or type without a white screen interrupting every  move. Is Quark XPress still out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure is. But I don't see how that's going to fix Sonoma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines