• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 151 Replies 151
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to get some work done. I need a backup plan. Maybe Quark is it *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or...

• You can rollback to Ventura
  • Turn off the rulers in InDesign
  • Turn on GPU performance in InDesign preferences (if it's available).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Apple Macbook Pro M3 chip, this problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam. I have the same MacBook. See my post below for how I fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WriterJeff! I've been following this thread since last November. Yours' is the first suggestion that stopped the flickering (besides turning rulers off which only partially help) Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I posted then!

For me, InDesign defaults back to using the GPU when I open a new doc. So I have to go back the View menu and change that setting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could Upvote my solution Seth, so other people can find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Good to know!
Thanks Jeff,
Seth

--
Seth Levinson, Design
Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Guide
<>
2403 Clifton Street
Halifax Nova Scotia B3K 4T9
Canada

Lion's Roar | Buddhadharma | www.LionsRoar.com
<>

Lion's Roar Foundation depends on
reader support. Donate online <>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WriterJeff! I've been following this thread since last November. Yours' is the first suggestion that stopped the flickering (besides turning rulers off which only partially help) Thank you!

By @Seth Levinson

I wonder if you updated to macOS 14.3? It fixes the issue for many users (but not all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not updated...I might chance it once I'm outa deadline zone with a
magazine.
Thanks for suggesting it

--
Seth Levinson, Design
Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Guide
<>
2403 Clifton Street
Halifax Nova Scotia B3K 4T9
Canada

Lion's Roar | Buddhadharma | www.LionsRoar.com
<>

Lion's Roar Foundation depends on
reader support. Donate online <>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I was having the same issue, I ended up downgrading my laptop back to Monteray to get Indesign to work since well InDesign is my entire career.  Has this been resovled and if so how did you fix it?  Can i finally do the Sonoma upgrade or not yet?  thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I did as Marcoklobas (see up there) : I noticed that if I hide the rulers the flickering is mostly gone. Hope it helps.

And it's working for me 🙂

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello – unfortunately I need the rulers for my job, so that didn’t work. But thank you! I hope Adobe and Mac fixes this soon or I am going to have to toss my Mac and go PC. I can’t keep using the outdated system updates for much longer, my computer runs SO SLOW.

[PII removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my new Apple Macbook Pro M3, running the latest versions of InDesign and Sonama, the flicker was really bad on my external monitor. Turning gridlines on/off made no difference. 

What did help was setting InDesign's View menu Preview to CPU (ie, the top item on View shows GPU Preview, which I assume means InDesign is not using the GPU). 

In InDesign prefs I have GPU Performance and Animated Zoom both ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on my mac Mini! finally thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have a new MBP M3. On MBP (not on remote monitors) CLOSE INDESIGN. Go into MBP display settings: first select 2056x1329 & 60 Hz screen resolution for main display (MBP); then continue in MBP display settings go to Preset & select Design & Print (P3-D50). OPEN INDESIGN on your MBP, go to Preferences, select GPU (check box). At this point I close my MBP display & use the two external monitors that would already have been setup.

Note that when ID crashes (FREQUENTLY) you have to go through this process each time you setup ID with remote monitors but this works.

Martha Dibblee
dibblee@hevanet.com

About this email:
This message may contain confidential information and is intended for the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by return e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had seen a fix yet?  I ended up reverting to an old systems update but now my computer runs incredibly slow.  So I decided to break up with Macs.  I have a PC on the way.   I can't function properly and efficiently without the full use of Indesign and can't wait any longer.   I tried turning off rulers and guides but I need those on a daily basis so wasn't working out for me.  Hopefully Apple and Adobe figure it out, but they have lost a customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had seen a fix yet?  

By @Michelle33882184penv

Did you update to macOS 14.3? It fixes the issue for many users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 14.3 fix the problem !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me.

New Apple Macbook Pro M3. Mac OS Sonoma 14.3. InDesign 19.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Apple finally fixed the issue. Updated to Sonoma 14.3.1 and the flickering finally stopped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m get nervous when updating Mac OS or Creative Suite apps nowadays. It all used to be so seamless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. A problem fixed usually brings along more problems caused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonoma 14.3.1 update is installed and also solved the flashing bug for me too...
Mac mini - intel i7 6 Core and Intel UHD 630 using InDesign 19.2.

Such a relief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an M3 MBP running Sonoma 14.3.1 the flicker can still make InDesign unusable on my external monitor. As I've mentioned before, setting Preview on CPU under the View menu fixes the problem, but it also significantly degrades InDesign performance.

@mgdibblee suggested a fix on her M3 MBP. She changes screen resolution and display gamut, and I don't want to do that. But one change she suggests is easy to make and does reduce the flicker enough that I can live with it.

The change is this: under Displays in System Settings, change the built-in display refresh rate from ProMotion to 60Hz. (This matches the refresh rate of my external monitor.) Sometimes with this setting the flashing and blackouts disappear entirely; mostly they are infrequent and I can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines