• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding the Rulers worked for me (2018 Mac Mini). As soon as I turn them on it flickers like crazy.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Hiding Rulers worked for me as well!! thank you I can actually work again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus one for hiding rulers. Perfect now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the exact same issue (Sonoma with M1), and hiding the rulers did indeed fix it for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Rulers tip—it worked for me. Still can't figure out how Adobe didn't see Sonoma coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, more importantly, how did Apple not ensure backward compatibility with apps that worked fine in Ventura. It's on them to do that not for Adobe to somehow fix what isn't broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that trick worked for me too!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes it's way better now that I hide the rulers! many thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me immediately, the flickering was killing me. MacBook Air M3 running Seuqoia 15.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed it for me immediately, the flickering was killing me. MacBook Air M3 running Seuqoia 15.0.

By @Aaron Lutze TS

Interesting. I wonder if you had this problem before you upgraded to Sequoia?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off rulers and the problem went away. How weird. Thanks, marcoklobas 

I sure hope they get that fixed soon--I need rulers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible.

I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, how do you know it's Adobe's bug? If the software worked in Ventura, ask yourself, "what changed?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem... it should be resolved immediately..
Rulers are important in creating a layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happens immediately. If you want the rulers back then roll back to Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd rather wait until Adobe supports M2 & Sonoma. Hopefully that will banish the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Yeah, it fixes it without rulers, but that makes it very difficult to work and create artwork. But until there is a fix for it, I'm happy for the flickering to go! I'm on a mac MacBook Pro with Sonoma, and always have GRU turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen mixed reports on this but some have said that turning GPU Performance on helps. Can't hurt to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned on GPU Performance AND turned rulers back on and have NO flickering. I'd be interested to hear if others have found the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, others have. That's how I knew to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I could turn on GPU, but for those of us who can't we're still stuck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not. You can turn off the rulers or roll back to Ventura.

Hopefully, you have a full backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines