• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 151 Replies 151
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Mac user at the moment, but one thing I see posted here repeatedly is that the first step for resolving graphics weirdness on InDesign running on new Macs is to try turning off GPU Performance. HelpX article regarding same is right here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joel. My monitor doesn't support GPU so it's not on. But --  suddenly -- after hour of this mini-nightmare, it stopped flickering, with no intervention on my part. I have no idea why. How long it'll last is anybody's guess. Maybe I'll be lucky. Thanks again for reaching out.

I won't mark this as solved until tomorrow -- just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Conquest:

I just want to point out that InDesign is not yet supported on Sonoma or on an M2. That may change shortly, but for now:

2023-09-26_19-53-00.png

‚—https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It runs natively on the M1 chip. Come on, Adobe. update for the M2 now! Thanks Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen flickers on the M1 too!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screen flickers on on all 3 of the Macs in my studio when selecting by dragging: text, table cells or multiple graphic boxes (grouped or not grouped). They are all running InDesign 2023

• Mac Mini M1 - Sonoma
  • Mac Mini i7 6-Core - Sonoma
  • Macbook Pro 16 M2 - Sonoma

This should really have been a sharp stick in the eye for Adobe if they did any testing with Sonoma. So, heres to hoping they actually read these community posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, maybe it's Apple that should have done the testing to make sure their shiny new operating system was backward compatible with major software that runs fine in Ventura.

In the meantime, turn off the rulers in InDesign which seems to fix the flickering problem...or roll back to Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Adobe be like this?

The Sonoma developer beta has been available since 05/06. It's not Apple's responsibility that their applications don't run. There was enough time from Adobe to test and fix this. The behavior of Adobe and the staff here on the forum is shameful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Apple be like this is just as valid a question and until such time this is fixed we have no idea who's bug this is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I closed the charts, and the problem was resolved, it's so strange, how can this happen?" 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is charts a joke or a typo? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now November. Any word on an update for InDesign? I'm on M2 Max chip and the flicker is driving me insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing's changed. Turn off the rulers, turn on GPU Performance or roll back to Ventura. If you're sticking with Sonoma, make sure you're fully patched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix this! The M3 is coming out now. How far behind are you going to fall? Or is it time to move on from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should tell Apple. It's looking more and more like their bug. Apple pauses iOS 18, macOS 15 work for a week of bug fixing (appleinsider.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I saw a post yesterday that someone pre-Sonoma was having this issue but I'm not finding it. In my situation when it occured on my Sonoma Mac Studio M2, I was able to turn on the CPU performance and all fixed. Sounds like the pieces are coming together that a fix can be for all, since CPU isn't an option on some machines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw someone complaining about it, too, but clearly was not related to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, do you have any idea when InDesign will be usable on Sonoma? I just upgraded my OS and didn't realize InDesign doesn't work there yet. I'm getting the "white screen / strobe" issue when highlighting text in a document.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @carlosanza:

My apologies for the delayed reply—I am just seeing your question to me today. We are hopeful that the solution will be available soon, but no, there's no timeline that I'm aware of. As of today, InDesign is still not supported on Sonoma. ☹️

You can keep an eye on this by bookmarking this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html/ or just check back in here.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac mini (intel) with Sonoma I experience the same behavior.

I noticed that if I hide the rulers the flickering is mostly gone. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 18.5. This specific bug is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I will keep the rulers in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue on my M1 and this solved it, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines