• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show/hide form fields turning check box on/off

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large form which I would like to simplify by letting my users select a check box if the adress we ask for is the same as the adress they added previously. If the check box is checked I would like a set of form fields to become invisible. If they deselect the check box I would like the hidden form fields to appear again.

I am able to get the fields disappear when the box is checked, but I am not able to have them show again when i click the check box for the second time to get unchecked state.

I have tried several solutions, including using two check box, where the second is trigged to open when the first one is checked - second box is opened as selected by default. Click on the first one also have the action to make fields invisible and first check box invisible. This works fine. When I click on the second box which I thought have actions to show the form fields again I get to deselect it, but no forms fields re-appears.

Any one who can explain what to do? I am working i InDesign CC - latest version

Check box 1:

Check box 2:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can see on your second screenshot that your action is deselected.

Which could explain why no action is triggered, right?

Besides, I would forget about check-boxes and turn them into buttons instead.

That's why:

tick.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx Vinny I realized the that my action was deselected - and I got the same result as you when that was fixed - and I see your point in NOT using check box... I tried with buttons - but I am not getting it right. Could you include screen shots showing your set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of this form? I ask because it probably won't work in a browser or a mobile device and is a crapshoot even on desktops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

they're the exact same settings than you used with checkboxes...

Nothing tricky really...

I showed non overlapping buttons for better understanding but at the end of the day, just stack them to simulate a checkbox.

Could you be more specific about the issue you're experiencing?

tick.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it Thanks a lot

Works perfectly on my PC. Unfortunately it did not work when I open the PDF on my mobile (iphone). There the selected version of the button is showing and not possible to deselect. It s like the action is disabled. I asume that is what BobLevine refers to in his comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. This is an exercise in futility.

There a lot of ways to create interactive forms. Using InDesign to create them as PDFs is probably among the worst choices you can make unless you can completely control how they'll be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this post and was wondering if you had some better software options to create interactive forms?  I want to build an interactive checklist that remove certain action items based upon the type of guidelines we must follow.  Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

non of the show and hide will work on mobile devices.

this has to be a regular static form if you want to work everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for a PDF? If ultimately you need a sophisticated form for the web try using something like JotForms, not InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's for PDF, no need for web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines