• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Single page spread, left and right different margins...

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I am not an indesign expert (and thankfully the document will go through a pro before it's finished).
We need to produce our document as single page spreads for the printer. However, we want to treat odd and even pages differently, primarily the "inside" margins should be smaller (so the right margin on even pages and the left margin on odd pages). Any suggestions how to do this?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

You are misunderstanding the printer's direction. The reason you think you see a single bleed is that the inside bleed is set to zero. The pages are not joined. You can see this by exporting a PDF. Be sure spreads is NOT CHECKED!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use facing pages...that's what it's for. There is no such thing as single page spreads. Spreads are mutipage (though they may be combined from multiple pages, hence reader spread vs printer spreads). When exporting the PDF do not choose spreads and the printer will know what to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Bob's reply, Facing Pages are a checkbox in the New document dialog. Just turn it on when setting up your document. 

To change a document already created with single pages, go to File menu > Document setup and change it there. Add a new master in your pages panel, which will now be facing pages, and use that master page. Margins will be set for "Inside" and "Outside" margins, as opposed to left and right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, single pages not single page spreads. When I use facing pages they get joined into a two page spread, with a single bleed line around them, which is not what I'm trying to do. Our printers have specifically said "Text pages shouldbe supplied as single pages not spreads."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are misunderstanding the printer's direction. The reason you think you see a single bleed is that the inside bleed is set to zero. The pages are not joined. You can see this by exporting a PDF. Be sure spreads is NOT CHECKED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - ok thanks @BobLevine I've learnt stuff. Not enough, because the margins are showing the same on all pages, but I have at least learnt something 😉 Cheers - I'll go get my Google on to try and solve the next part of the problemo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document should be created using facing pages, 1/8 bleed on 4 sides except center, export high res pdf as single pages, upload to printer. This should keep them from having to resolve any issues with Pitstop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much as I'm sure the printers would love to be living the 1960s, we use 3mm bleed 🙂 
I have detailed instructions from the printer for their requirements, but as I've not heard of pitstop before I shall go and find out what that is as I love learning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some confusion in this thread between the terms margin and bleed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not from me, and I'm probably the thickest person here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 28.pngScreen Shot 30.pngScreen Shot 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not enough, because the margins are showing the same on all pages,

Margins are a page attribute. You can set them up globally from Document Setup, or select a range of pages in the Pages panel and set the selected page margins via Layout>Margins and Columns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines