• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slash Zero

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats the command to type a slash zero (number)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

I do want to point out the request is for a slashed zero and not a slashed letter O. Opt Sh O is the letter.Screenshot 2017-10-06 13.04.52.png

If you prep your files in Word:

• Click the cursor where you want the slashed zero to appear.
  • Press Ctrl+F9. You'll see brackets appear.
  • Type the following (or copy and paste it from this post): eq o (0,/)
  • Press Shift+F9. The code should resolve itself into a slashed zero.

In InDesign, follow Aman's advice and use the OpenType slashed font feature. You can select a zero and click the  blue line u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue: I am always happy to help. And thank you for cycling back to add your solution to this thread. It will help others in the future, which is what the commnunity forums are all about. 

~Barb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the confusion - which sign was it exactly?

pixxxelschubser_0-1691002123358.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above, sort of. Either the zero glyph in a font has a slash (or dot), or it doesn't. Any alternate character, which seems to be a rarity, would be just a meaningless glyph without the numeric value of "zero."

So if you want a true slashed zero, you have to use one of the fonts that slashes its zero. No confusion there at all.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxelschubser_0-1691002123358.png

By @pixxxelschubser

Thanks.

So really about the "real slashed (number) zero". In my screenshot it is the 4th character from the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but only because that's a monospaced font with a slashed zero. Map over the font, and the slash will vanish.

Except that (just to compound the confusion) — Consolas seems to have all variant zeros:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1691003460096.png

I'm going to go lie down in a dark quiet room now.

Too late. I had to look. As the Adobe employee answer of 2017 notes... all or most OpenType fonts (including for example, Minion Pro, shown below) have that spread of alternate zeroes. So for ID users, it's trivial. For Word users... well, another reason to join the big leagues. 🙂

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1691003890417.png

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'll just switch to OCR-A

🙂

pixxxelschubser_0-1691003459097.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixxxelschubser 

I hope I'm understanding and addressing your question with the attachment.

Use of my solution in other contexts may not meet user needs, but it meets mine because I don't need the zero to function as an integer in a methematical calculation.

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized my last sentence doesn't make sense and I cannot edit it.

I should have said that use of my solution (Consolas font and typing a zero character) works in contexts that require mathematical calculations (because it is a zero) but the "Use Insert | Symbol" method doesn't because it's a letter of the Latin alphabet and has no mathematical value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.
It is always better to use the right character. In InDesign a grep style helps, in Word and Excel conditional formatting simplifies the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines