• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG (This item is not supported in InDesign _

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has InDeisgn dropped SVG? our SVG files are loaded into CC Libraries which is now saying the SVG is no longer supported in InDesign.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG has variations and subformats, and I am not sure ID imports them all.

Do the files import/place directly, outside of the libraries?

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the SVG compatibility has been removed from the CC Library as my files were all working before the update.

The SVG file are placed directly in the CC Library, then pulled into the document as required...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not aware of/can't find any mention of changes to SVG handling by CC Library. I can only ask again — do the files in question work properly when placed in documents directly? If they don't, it's obviously a file/format-level problem. If they do, it seems most likely that the files are an SVG variant or subformat Libraries doesn't recognize or like, and that could be a change or even a bug.

As Willi notes, SVGs are a complicated format to work with outside of web content, and compatibility and reliable results for any other purpose can be a problem. The problem you're seeing might be for any number of collateral reasons, so running down exactly what works and what doesn't is the starting place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.

It seems that when it is dragged and dropped from CC Library or the relinking feature back to the CC library doesnt work. The same file locally can be placed without issue, and as worka round you can right click and place the file like another user said; but when hovering over it says the file type is not supported. 

In my working tempaltes all SVGs are still linked but they cannot be added or modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG is still supported and even its compatibility has been extended in InDesign. 

Are you aware that SVG must not be used in print projects? Never!

SVG is well in ePUBs or in PDF for web supply, In any other projects avoid it.

If you cannot use a SVG, either because its lack of compatibility or because you need the grafik to be used in Print, open the SVG in Illustrator, save it as AI or PDF/X-4 and place that in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue currently, i tried reverting to an older version and the same issue persists. 

my work around is pull the SVG into illustrator and then copy and past to indesign, its dumb but works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still sounds as if there is a (sub)format issue with the files. If ID won't load them directly, from a local drive, then it won't load them from Libraries, either and CCL might not recognize them as valid SVG format for ID's needs.

You might try uninstalling InDesign, running CCcleaner to remove any possibly corrupt or incorrect remnants, and doing a completely clean reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on my end. After the latest InDesign update, our CC Library of 1,147 SVG icons and logos no longer allows us to use drag and drop to add an item to the document. I learned we can Right-Click > Place Copy, so that's a temporary workaround. 

Would there be a support document that lists all the file types we can use in a CC Library, including those supported just by InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the third or fourth report in a couple of weeks. I'd say there is a real bug at play here, at least for some small set of users. (Maybe the entire set of those who (1) use SVG, (2) from the CC libraries.

As far as I know, SVG (for all its quirks and limitations) remains a valid file type for both ID and CC libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as well. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. So, I found out that there is a better place to report a bug than the community pages. Adobe's User Voice Pages. You can visit our reported bug by clicking on this link .svg library assets are not supported anymore at version 19.3 

Please let them know how important this is to you and your team, perhaps they will fix the bug soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the hell is going on at Adobe, why are they making things harder on everyone by removing these features. This just screwed ALL of my projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me report this Bug to Adobe using this link .svg library assets are not supported anymore in version 19.3. Hopefully, the more votes and notes it receives on that page, Adobe will make it a priority and fix it. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2024 Oct 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem in October, for the record, over half a year later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Serena...,

I’m sorry to hear you’re still experiencing issues with SVG files in InDesign.

Could you please share the version of InDesign you’re using and your operating system details? If you haven't already, I recommend updating to InDesign 19.5, as it may resolve some compatibility issues. Let me know how it goes, and I’m here to help if you need further assistance!

Thanks, 

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @Serena... for reminding me about this problem. I have been using the right-click method to Place a Copy or Place a Link.

I'm sure the more people who provide the information @Abhishek Rao requested, the closer we will hopefully be to solving this problem.

I keep Adobe InDesign up to date, and a the moment I'm using 19.5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2024 Oct 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Serena... ,

however, what worked in InDesign 2024 is, that was suggested at InDesign UserVoice by Christopher:
"WORKAROUND: We can Right-Click on the SVG > Select Place Copy, and it will import the SVG into the page. "

But of course, the SVG was placed as an embedded graphic with no link to a CC Library asset.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/48185795--svg-library-a...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2024 Oct 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Serena... ,

I can see the issue.

Saved an SVG file, a simple drawing, with Adobe Illustrator.

Dragged the SVG file to a new CC Library.

I was not able to place it with InDesign 2024 version 18.5.0.84.

This is also the case with InDesign 2023 version 18.5.3.129.

Well, and of course I could place the SVG file in both versions of InDesign that I mentioned above.

Also tested with InDesign 2022 version 17.4.2.77.

To my surprise with InDesign 2022 I could drag out the SVG file from the CC Library to my layout.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines