• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbol font unavailable

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to ID v17.2 I no longer have the Symbol font available to use. Photoshop and Illustartor still seem to support it. I'm worried I'm the only one with this problem since I cannot find any info. addressing this anywhere. Any ideas, help or reference would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating does not remove any font. If it was a T1 font, you should replace it with a OTF or TTF font.

What font was lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Symbol font I have always used is the one that come with the System (Mac OS). I believe it is currently OpenType - TTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the font and reloading it.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/font-book/fb34862/mac

Other things to try

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---

Report bugs or make a feature request

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene.

The "Symbol" font is not being allowed by the system to be removed or deactivated.

Deleting preferences I think was a pretty good suggetion, until it didn't work. Symbol still not available.

Reinstalling seems futile, but worth a try I suppose. I'll update this once I give it a try...

Thanks for the Bug reporting link, I will definatley be submitting.

I've confirmed with other colleagues that they do not have Symbol font available either, so not just me. But I'd be curious to know if anyone running v17.2  on Mac has that font available to them. Then I'd at least know there is hope...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should avoid using System fonts altogether in InDesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 17.2 on Mac OS 10.15.7 : absolutely no problem with the Symbol font.

What is your system version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's the lesson for the day. Don't skip updates! I had gone from v16.4 directly to v17.2.

Inital reinstall of v17.2 did not resolve. So uninstalled completely and started from scratch with v17.0. That version worked with Symbol. YAY! Then updated to v17.0.1. Worked! Then v17.1. Worked! So updated to 17.2 (again) and Viola! Working as expected with Symbol font available.

Not sure which version installed what I needed, but I did try installing v17.1 (worked) then to v17.2 which did not.

Thanks WA and ET for your attention and support! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other people (including myself) are having problems with fonts not showing up in InDesign after updating to 17.2. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday troubleshooting this. It appears to be a bug in 17.2 For me, the font not showing up was Big Caslon Medium. For someone else (see thread below) it was Milo. For others, it was different fonts. The only "solution" for this problem is to revert to 17.01. Not really a solution but it works for now until Adobe fixes the bug.

The other thread that talks about this is here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/font-not-available-in-indesign-but-is-available-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Everybody! 👍👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Matzki2,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to replicate the issue at our end with multiple fonts on v17.2 & in some instances, on v17.1 as well. We have logged a bug a with the product team last week, and they are currently investigating the issue on a priority.

I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...) if not done already. By doing this, you will keep on getting updates related to this issue.

Also, if possible, please share the download link to the fonts which are not showing up in Indesign here or via DM with me.

In the meantime, you may install the older version of Indesign v17.0.1 or earlier until this issue gets fixed.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

Thank you and the Adobe Team for looking into this!
This is causing such a problem for us as we work on a medical publication that uses Greek symbols.  I have been getting pop ups in InDesign that InDesign is not longer recognizing TTFs. We are finding that we can no longer use the Symbols Font or Zapf Digngbats. They are True Type Fonts that are system fonts that cannot be removed or replaced. We are currently troubleshooting alternative solutions. I also tried to uninstall InDesign 17.2 , go back to 16.4 and do the gradual upgrade, as someone suggested, but I had no luck.

I am personally using a brand new MacBook Pro and on the Monterey OS.

Please, please help! Thank you!!!

Regine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rolling back to InDesign 17.01 and using that instead of 17.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edward! Funny you should say that...I actually just did that, restarted and no luck. : (

I went back to 17.2. I'm the only one with a new laptop and on Monterey. Wondering if that might be the issue. My edit team is aware of my font problem now, hopefully we can find an alternative resolution until this issue is fixed. Truly appreciate your help. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that I needed to open a test file after each update from 17.0 up to ensure function. Or at least lauch the app. after each update. Something may get loaded or activated during that process. Worth a shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have tried that also. I will definitely try again when work is slower. Thank you so much for all the advice, its appreciated! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Regine24032540fx8e,

I am really sorry to hear about this. Would it be possible for you to share the font files with me via DM or here? I will forward it to the product team, and they will check at their end. Please reconfirm if this symbol font was working before the v17.2 update?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines