• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents vs Running Text Variables - I need a text to appear in Footer but not in the TOC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a heading textbox on my page, say with text - James & Janet. I want to see this in the footer but not in the Table of Contents.

Firstly this textbox was hidden since I want it visible as a text variable in the footer (James & Janet) on that page but not as actual text (because I have two separate duplicate headings "James" and "Janet" separately on the page). The running text variable works fine in the footer, all fine so far!

The problem arises when this text is also inclded in the auto-generated Table of Contents. I see an option to hide hidden layers while building the TOC but if I set the textbox "James&Janet" on to a hidden layer, then it disappears from TOC but also from the footer (running text variable cannot read hidden layers).

I tried setting the said layer to non-printing but still visible: This makes the footer appear but the TOC entry is also visible. How do I solve this? 

Release scheduled in 2 days, urgent kindness appreciated :')

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use different paragraph styles for the header/footer versus the content being pulled into the ToC? You might consider posting your ID document so we can try to understand what you are doing.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for replying 🙂

I have attached a couple of screenshots in my reply to Barb below. I hope I have also answered the question you asked. Please let me know if there is something else I had to be specific about.

Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aurora K:

Both of these features work by calling in styles. You have the footer working, but you also have the TOC set to call in the same style: why can't you just remove that style from the Include Style in Table of Contents list in the Table of Contents dialog box?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. Thanks for your reply 🙂

I had to call in the same style for both TOC and text variable because the style refers to the main heading on any particular page. The text variables anf TOC are well in order with pages with a single heading (as seen below)

AuroraK_0-1688054548980.png

However I have a few pages where I have to include two headings on the same page (as below). So on such pages I have tried to format the separate headings as a duplicate style of H1 (say h2) which looks the same. But the actual H1 is a hidden textbox containing both the h2 words joined by an '&'. H1 textbox had to be invisible because making a new hidden layer and placing the H1 textbox on it hides it from the variable text reading it. The text variable is formatted on the Master to read the last H1 on any page.

AuroraK_1-1688055152279.png

After formatting these, I generated a TOC with H1 headings. I had to use H1 style for the TOC too as they are the actual page titles. But I end up getting a TOC that lists the hidden H1 textboxes too, I prefer it to not.

I have contacted Adobe chat support a while ago as I am quite near my deadline and ToC was the last thing let before we shipped (planned on July 1st release). And we had to arrive at the following possible solutions -

1. Setting H1 text on a new hidden layer, so that ToC does not show it when show hidden layers checkbox is deselected, but the text variable should. But I don't see such an option.

2. Setting the layer to non-print, then it is visible in the Footer, but there is no option to exclude non-print layers from ToC

3. Removing the textbox altogether so that it disappears from ToC and manually force-editing that page's footer to the way I want it. This is untidy and time-taking because I have many such pages that have >1 headings.

4. If Running headers-text variable can append two separate headings on a page with an '&' and display the result in the footer. I see it currently works with either the first instance or last instance of a style on a page. No other options to choose from.

5. Duplicating all H1 heads, apply a new style G1 (and hide them) for all the headings I need displayed in TOC 

6. Manually editing either the Footers or ToC

Adobe support concluded by saying that - "You may edit one option which is not time taking either a Table of Content or a Variable however both the options may not be editable at the same time. You may submit a feature request on indesign.uservoice.com so that this feature might be added in the future updates of InDesign."

Manually updating the footnotes is a pain, as I have a lot of them. Manually updating ToC works but I have to wait until all the pages are perfect for export because a force update of the TOC erases my changes. Currently browsing through exchange and communities for a script that auto-updates the page numbers in the TOC while letting the text stay unaffected. I found one but it was too pricey for my budget. 

Sorry, that was long. But I thought I had to present the full picture. Thanks for taking your time to read. Any help is much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start here:

Setting H1 text on a new hidden layer, so that ToC does not show it when show hidden layers checkbox is deselected, but the text variable should. But I don't see such an option.

Choose More Options on the far right to expose the TOC additional controls. What happens if you disable include text on hidden layers?

~Barb 

2023-06-29_12-45-25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb 🙂

That checkbox currently does not affect the TOC as H1 is a hidden object on a visible layer.

But if we were to place H1 on to a hidden layer and disable that checkbox in the TOC options, then it rightly disappears from the TOC. Meanwhile H1 also disappears from the running header field (footer) because text variables cannot read through hidden layers by default (Did not find an option to change that :/)

Option 1 - Conclusion : TOC is alright, Footer is not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hide the Text Frame, just modify the color of its para text when necessary (as "no color").

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FRIdNGE

I tried that, but it still had the same result as hiding the individual text frame. Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use a para style H1 for all (TOC + Variable) and H2 for the specific cases you mention (and of course, don't use it for the TOC), as said, you just need to include on the specific pages a text frame with the right text and the right para style (H1), e.g. "Aneesa & Antonie S" and change the color of this para to [none].

==> "Aneesa & Antonie S" will be in the TOC and taken in account by the variable!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a tight deadline where the finished work is not going to be modified further by a client or printer — create the TOC manually. Start with a generated list, cut and paste without formatting into your text flow or a standalone text box, edit and format as needed.

Sometimes a few minutes of pick and shovel work saves hours of trying to get automated processes to work just right. Especially if you're to the point of using wonky hidden text, duplicate text and somewhat ragged use of styles.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, Thanks for the tip. I did something similar. 

I had cleaned up the paragraph styles a bit, made a new master page and changed the footer to read a new paragraph style altogether and applied it wherever I had >1 heading on a page. 

The individual headings were still H1 and were included in the TOC. The TOC remained autogenerated in the end and turned out perfect.

(I had to manually apply the new master page wherever I had two headings, that was what I chose to manually do.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines