• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text anchors

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having trouble with a long document in InDesign. I suspect it’s because of a large number of text anchors that somehow were introcduced when a copyeditor imported a lengthy series of endnotes in Word. Now the INDD doc is sluggish, crashy and generally hard to handle.

Is there any way to find and replace these anchors? I can’t seem to find the right search string.

Thanks! CWS

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

@cwscarbrough 

OK, I know what is "wrong" with your file...

Your text is linked as ICML - you've mentioned InCopy but I have Links pallet closed and I've ignored initial message about missing links:

RobertTatIDTASKER_0-1714228538355.png

I wasn't even able to search for the "endnote" numbers so I started digging and found out that this Story is linked.

After I've UNLINKED it - my script:

app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestinations.everyItem().remove();

works perfectly fine on your sample.

Not sure if you can or should

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be completely unrelated to the problem CWS has but when I open his sample InDesign file and look at the text in the story editor every line has, overlaid on the first character of the line, a symbol just like the InDesign page number icon. It's there in a newly created text frame in the same document but it disappears if I copy the frame to a new document . . . .   

By @Nick Passmore

Can you post a screenshot?

RobertTatIDTASKER_0-1714228097304.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot. However, this was opened in 17.4.2 (custom plugins, long story) when I open it in 19.3 the ☒ symbol is not there. Red herring but I'd be interested to know what if anything it signifies!

Screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My offer still stands - and now, that I have "access" to those blind anchors - I can remove them easily - leaving the good ones intact. 

FOC of course. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cwscarbrough 

OK, I know what is "wrong" with your file...

Your text is linked as ICML - you've mentioned InCopy but I have Links pallet closed and I've ignored initial message about missing links:

RobertTatIDTASKER_0-1714228538355.png

I wasn't even able to search for the "endnote" numbers so I started digging and found out that this Story is linked.

After I've UNLINKED it - my script:

app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestinations.everyItem().remove();

works perfectly fine on your sample.

Not sure if you can or should - but if you can or as you have this ICML file - you can run this script in InCopy.

But you need to be careful - it will remove ALL hyperlinkTextDestinations... so you might need more "targeted" - something that will check if destiation is dead and only then remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert – thanks for your generous offer and your amazing hard work. The script cleared out the anchors. I’m very grateful. CWS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Robert – thanks for your generous offer and your amazing hard work. The script cleared out the anchors. I’m very grateful. CWS

By @cwscarbrough

Always happy to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert – Thanks for your generous offer and for your amazing hard work. I’m very gratefuyl. CWS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines