• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to InDesign 17.1 – this issue is still not solved!

Macbook Pro M1, 16GB Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this is still an issue for me too (MacBook 2021 Pro M1 Pro / Indesign 17.1)

It seems like a small issue but it's incredibly disruptive to work flow! Can't believe this has been going on for this long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sepnt an hour with support who acknowledge there are many known issues with Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator that they have been trying to fix for 9 months!! and it will be fixed in the next updates, but don't worry it's broken on windows 11 too, so not just mac users.

Spoke with billing and got 3 free months added to my account, that's the most they can add - I'll be calling back in 3 months demanding it again until it adds up to the 9 broken months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 11 here and have not seen this issue at all. Others? Yes, but not text disappearing.
That appears to be an M1 Mac issue only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know it is specific to M1 Mac systems.

But also, no other software is having this problem with M1s. Only Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to using my old Mac (2013) using MacOS Catalina. Don't have the dissappearing text problem. Seems like an M1 problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I only started experiencing it when I got my new Mac in October. C'mon Adobe - do better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, like all other ID users on an M1 mac, are still experiencing the issues that have been discussed at length since the original posting on 6/17/21. The update made ZERO changes to this huge issue. I posted on this thread many weeks ago and still use my workaround by only using a Document Fonts folder instead of Suitcase for font management. This is not a Suitcase issue as this problem is with Adobe and thier lack of understanding of the M1 chip. I use many different versions of ID in my daily usage and all versions are problematic on the M1 chip. This is not only a CC22 issue as it is simply how all versions of ID render fonts. My biggests culprits are Adobe fonts which is not surprising since Adobe has no understanding of how to write their code for this new chip. Since this is not a PC issue, nor an Intel chip issue, it falls squarley on the M1 chip. So much for upgrading computers to speed up my workflow. ID now bogs down my machine as can be seen in the Activity Monitor. Long live Quark 5.5 — one of the greatest pieces of software ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this chip 

Modelnaam: Apple T2 Security-chip

Firmwareversie: 19P647

Opstart-UUID: E193C5A5-1D55-402C-87CE-2750B883C397 and also text disappears. Mac is one year old.  So not just the M1 chip... A

I also have that command dont work, like save, make pdf. Annoying to say the least...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the day goes on, my CCLibrary.app goes crazy and makes ID even glitchier. I don't use CC libraries so I think this is just referring to something in the CC universe that is causing issues. If I force quit this process (in the Activity Monitor), it settles ID down to a usable level. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 1.33.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quark 5.5!!! Be still my heart!!! Just the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook M1, 2020. Memory 8 GB. 

macOS Monterey / InDesign 2022 / Illustrator 2022

In the same boat as all of you with the disappearing text and pink screen in both apps. It's been going on for months but my persistance has run out. Working with any amount of text is frustratingly soul destroying. Just like everyone else I was astonished to find the problem persisting after the update. I'll be moving to Affinity if it doesn't get fixed within a week. Time's up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had another support call with adobe and senior engineers andf a screenshare. They got me to replicate the issue in an existing file and a new doc. Then they took all my cache and preference files. They actually still don't fully understand the issue so not sure a fix is coming anytime soon. They do acknowledge that zooming in and out makes the text reappear. As does View>Preiew on CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow. 

They owe us bigtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

speak to billing - got a 3 month free credit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Affinity, and I'm sorry but. Cross platform compatability with other Adobe apps, nested styles...I need for Indesign to get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi adobe— has this issue been resolved? Any edits, corrections, ragging, tracking / kerning— essentially ANY typesetting causes the text to disappear. It will sometimes reappear if you zoom in /out, turn preview on/off, etc. which is inefficient and problematic when finalizing text. I'm a book designer and this has created a huge amount of work for myself, editors and publishers. Extremely unprofessional for INDD. 

Mac Mini (M1, 2020)

Mac OS Big Sur 11.5.2

InDesign v17.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad news for anyone expecting a quick fix.

"Dear Jamie,

Hope you are doing fine!
I am writing to let you know about the issue you had with Text disappearing while editing in InDesign and as per our discussion on Friday.

We would like to inform you that we have shared the information collected on Friday with our Engineering team and they are researching/working on it to fix as soon as possible. 
However there is no ETA to fix the issue as of now.
I would suggest you to please try the below workaround till the issue gets resolved:
1. You may switch between GPU and CPU preview.
2. Zoom in and Zoom out.
We appreciate your patience.

Please feel free to revert to this email and we will be more than happy to assist you or contact us at 1-800-833-6687 via Phone or initiate the chat session to continue from here.

Thanks for working with us, 

Adobe Customer Care " 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. I've started editing large documents in overprint preview, seems to stop the text disapearing.

Please fix Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this email is recent, like, 2 days or so, then this is such hackery from Adobe. 17.1 says it fixes the issue. Yet they release it into the wild where not just a handful of people still have the issue, but instead pretty much everyone still has it. Then this email suggesting they're going to look into it? What is this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, and still they keep charging for their faulty software. They should stop collecting subscription payments until they've fixed the issue. It's making a lot of people's working lives very difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely.--
Marilyn Novell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rebuilt my entire font library from scratch (going overkill on the "solved" solution above) and it's not solved...

Bonus, I have gotten rid of or resolved all my Type 1 fonts...this is getting ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go the email this morning after a tech support screenshare on friday. The guy at the time said they hadnt figured it out and were still collecting prefernce files and cache and took copies of mine. God knows when it'll be fixed, as for zoom in and out to get text to reappear, I told them that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Imac it is less frequent (17.1) but still enough to drive me crazy. And indeed, mailing they are going to look into it? After a year of complaints??? It would be a good idea for adobe to compensate all of us instead just they people who call adobe. And three months free is a joke. I am having this issue for months and months. What a bunch of crap this app has become.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines