• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Your InDesign (Beta) build has expired."

Hi,

InDesign Prerelease version 17.2.0.9 did not expire. Just checked that.

You must have installed a different version.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue. Working on very detailed datasheets with lots of tables and text boxes and this is slowing me up. 

I'm running:

• iMac OS 12.0.1

• InDesign 17.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked on my M1pro. So far so good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I’m running:
Mac OS 12.1

MacBook Air M1 2020

InDesign 17.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a discovery while having a similar problem, posting in case it's helpful.

Working on a layout where I have draft sections with layers that are turned off (non-visible + locked).

Images in the non-visible layers do have text wrap applied, so, the text in the visible layer that's stacked on top, is taking on the attributes of the text wrap.

Once I turn off text wrap on the invisible layer, problem solved.

It would be great to be able to keep my draft sections in place, in case I decide to use them, without having to reformat them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone..

I have the same issue, is really frustating. I have to zoom in and out just to see the text again..

I use:

- Mac Os Monterey on MacBook Pro M12020

- InDesign 17.1  (2022)

Has anyone come out with solution?

thanks

Den

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 17.1

Mac OS 12.0.1

2021 iMac 24", M1 Chip

I have had this issue from day one of owning this machine. It is INCREDIBLY annoying. I toggle screen mode (w) to reveal the text. Does not matter what font is used. What is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cobovenman said: "What is the fix?"

The fix is with InDesign 17.2 that is not released yet.

You could join InDesign Prerelease to test that version.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the fix is actually releasing a version that is made for M1 chip, rather than this patched Intel version. It's been more than a year since the chip is out, and nothing yet. Meanwhile, Adobe is milking us on this problematic software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a native ARM version of InDesign was released in june 2021. you can switch between intel and ARM version in Creative Cloud App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with the same problem. Just bought a new macbook air M1, working on indesign has been exhausting, it happens in all my documents.

As brazilian user, is really hard pay for the softwares, and I think I should get a bug-free program, since I'm paying. this is a very frustrating situation. Please solve it, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick fix until 17.2 comes out is to reduce your RAM usage below 85%. Use Activity Monitor in the MacOS Utilities folder to monitor it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, also the pre release 17.2 seems to use less resources anyway.

Using 17.2 and my normal other programmes my memory usage stays below 80% whereas using 17.1 my usgae is always up around 85% compounding the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Elaine5E3A @Rafael Miranda Barbosa @Cobovenman @Creative Manager @MicheleAlise @Deden23571280w6eo 
@Goozee1,

I am sorry for the trouble and inconvenience this issue has caused. I can understand everyone's frustration.

But I am glad to say multiple users have confirmed that the Text Disappwaring issue has been resolved for them on our Prerelease version v17.2. I would request you to install it or wait for the public release. I have marked my reply as correct on this thread with the steps on how to enroll in our prerelease program and install the Prelease version 17.2, which has the fix for the issue. Anyone interested can try it out. If not, I would request you please be patient and stay tuned for the next release of InDesign.

Let me know if you need any further assistance installing the prerelease version 17.2. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, indesign is going downhill. Do they even test it before releasing it? It's enough to make me look at quark again lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultk00af71bzf43@Borja23187742gwvj

I am sorry for the trouble caused by the issue, but I am glad to say this issue has been addressed in v17.2, which will be released publically in all the regions soon. I appreciate your time and patience. I will request you to please stay tuned for the updates, or in the meantime, you may enroll in our prerelease program and install the v17.2 from the prerelease section in the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Steps are shared on this correct marked answer.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenas, la mayoria de las veces que escribo, el texto desaparece por completo, cuando vuelvo a escribir vuelve a aparecer, pero desaparece rápidamente. Es bastante molesto, pues utilizo el programa a diario. Esto lleva pasando varias semanas y me gustaria conocer una solución para ello, puesto que pago religiosamente las cuotas mensuales que cuesta el paquete de programas (20 pavos)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. I'm not seeing the update option. I quit Creative Cloud and restarted to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing it either. Will give it another day or so. I assume they are doing a graduated release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shannonwbrown,

@eveningclouds747, you are correct. It is a phased release, and soon it will be released in all the regions. You may keep on checking by manually clicking on Check for updates button in the Creative Cloud. Usually, phase rollout is completed within a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to confirm that it's working very well and missing text problem is gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines