• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The InDesign Application Frame gets stuck outside the screen area/behind menu bar

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every so often, since working on my current iMac (2017), my Application Frame in InDesign gets stuck on my second 32" Benq monitor. The top bar area sits just behind the menu bar. Once it's there, it's there. The accessibility to reposition the frame is now not possible. Even switching the Application Bar, the background frame is still stuck and cannot be moved.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 09.50.38.png

Surely, there must be a limit from stopping the Application Frame from running off behind the menu and off the top of the screen, or at least allow an interactive method in a dropdown menu to reset the Application Frame back within the frame of the monitor.

For the moment, the only way I have found to resolve this would be to 'Delete InDesign Preference file' (Shift+Control+Option+Command) on start-up and reapply my personal settings and workspaces.

After resetting, this crucial part of the frame is now visible.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 10.10.31.png

I'm running MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.3, on an iMac 27-inch 4.2Ghz Intel Core i7 running a second 32" Benq screen.
Currently affecting InDesign version 14.0.1 but it also occurred with previous versions too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

ANSWER FOUND: It appears it only affects users with two screens. If your displays are sitting side by side, ensure the second screen in the 'Display Arrangement' in System Preferences >> Displays, does not sit higher than the main screen - even though the second screen may sit higher on the desk. Keeping the second screen aligned or lower will avoid 'losing' part of a panel off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing a fix. Can you point that out? I see workarounds, but no fix. I would love to have this issue actually fixed, but I am not hearing anything from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not always reply... these suggestion or feedback thread must get hundreds or thousands of upvotes before Adobe developers will truly address or fix the bugs. Frustrating but there are a few solutions here... one of which is annoying to unplug your 2nd monitor from your laptop -- move the InDesign frame, then plug back in. Super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution for this was to create an AppleScript that hides the menubar for twenty seconds (just the time needed to get back to InDesign and move the application window).

In case it helps, here is the code I use :

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

on run
	tell application "System Events"
		if autohide menu bar of dock preferences then
			set autohide menu bar of dock preferences to false
		else
			set autohide menu bar of dock preferences to true
			delay 20
			set autohide menu bar of dock preferences to false
		end if
	end tell
end run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're seeing this and hoping for a temporary fix sometime before 2030, please vote on the bugfix request I've submitted.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/48433358-two-monitors-u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is from 2019, it's shocking that Adobe has note corrected this bug by 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went into systems and just kept moving the monitor arrangements around until I could grab the corner of my InDesign program and place it on my main computer screen. Then I moved my monitor positions back to where they were. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines