• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent Background text for Youtube watermark

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - My podcast logo has white lettering with red inner/outer glow (on a black background). It is curved using type on a path.

How do I create the logo with just the text on a transparent background? Right now it is showing up as a white background. (I researched in the forums and so made sure to save as a PNG, but that hasn't helped.)

I am a beginner, so please walk me slowly through the steps if you can.

Thank you!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Get rid of the background, export as PNG again, and make sure you click Transparent Background.

image.png

Then make sure you use Photoshop or Illustrator for video-oriented art in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this have to do with InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Bob. I am creating the logo using InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as PDF/X-4. Use that in After Effects or Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get rid of the background, export as PNG again, and make sure you click Transparent Background.

image.png

Then make sure you use Photoshop or Illustrator for video-oriented art in the future.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, David! That did it!

1. How do I resize (in either Photoshop or InDesign) without changing the text? I can't figure out how to crop with a transparent background without resizing the text.

2. Can you help me understand why photoshop/illustrator are better for video? (In this case it's just a fixed logo on a youtube clip that my podcast recording platform inserts automatically.)

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I would need to see the design to understand exactly what you are asking. I'm not sure if you want to resize or crop--those are two different things. Assuming the art is built in separate pieces in InDesign, select everything except the text, group them, and resize holding down Cntl-Shift keys (Cmd-Shift on Mac) while dragging the corner of the bounding box. 

2. Video is pixel based. Both PS and AI have special presets just for video. PS is 99% pixel oriented; AI is 99% a vector program but can output as PNG. AI is better for logo-type art than InDesign. ID would be the last program of the three I would have picked. You might find that AI is closer to ID in it's basic usage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This is very helpful.

Sorry for the mixed messages. I want to CROP, while maintaining the sizing of the text. It is appearing very elongated when I try to crop with a transaparent background. How do I do this?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Select all the elements except the text you do not want cropped. 
  2. Group them.
  3. Draw a graphic frame (the one with the X in it).
  4. Use the Edit > Paste Into menu.
  5. Crop graphic frame as needed. 
  6. Reposition/Arrange the art and text as needed.

BTW, be careful about cropping glows and shadows. Often they extend out farther than you can typically see on screen and may look cut off in the final result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines