• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble copy pasting Sanskrit from Word

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble copy-pasting some Sanskrit text from a word document to my indesign file. Here's a screenshot from the word file. It is in the Nirmal UI typeface—

Here's what I get in indesign when I copy and paste it—

As you can see, indesign shifts some of the glyphs, especially the "ि" and " ी" by a few spaces. I have tried different typefaces for the word document as well as for the indesign document, but none of them work. I also tried placing the word file as well as a pdf version of the word document inside the indesign document, but it did not solve the issue. A solution which was suggested was to make sure I had the World Ready composer selected under preferences, but that did not help either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

This is what I get when I apply a paragraph style with Adobe Devanagari, Hindi language, Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer:

Please make sure you have a specific paragraph style with the above attributes to apply to your text. These are screenshots of the paragraph style I used:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the language? Maybe Hindi because Indesign doesn't have Sanskrit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I changed it to Hind as well as Marathi, but it's the same trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you copy paste the text here so we can test it? Cay you try a different font like Adobe Devanagari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Adobe Devnagari, Mangal, and Nirmal ui. They work beautifully in word, but have the same problems in Indesign.

Here's the text:

निःपक्षपातितां सूचयितुं नित्यं शुभ्रध्वजः प्रचालनीयः।

पूर्वगृहं विंता कस्यापि नैकायाः तथैव नौकाकर्मचारिणां साहाय्यं कर्तव्यम् कदापि यदि नौका आपद्ग्रस्ता भवति तर्हि कर्मचारिभिः धैर्येण स्वसंरक्षणं करणीयम् ।

Surprisingly chrome and google docs have no trouble with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get when I apply a paragraph style with Adobe Devanagari, Hindi language, Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer:

Please make sure you have a specific paragraph style with the above attributes to apply to your text. These are screenshots of the paragraph style I used:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying it out, will post results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owww... You hero! I had been stuggling for hours with this. And indeed, almost always someone else on this earch has been struggling with the same issue, solved it AND has been so kind to document it.

Kudos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU for this! Just the advice I needed. I know this is an old post, but thank you so very much. It is still relevant and extremely useful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing the Word document into InDesign, rather than copying from Word and pasting into InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Migintosh. It's much more likely to work with File > Place. Copying just doesn't cut it when there are different languages or encodings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried placing the word file directly but that resulted in the same issue. I also tried placing a PDF version of the word file but indesign does not allow me to use the text as editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines