• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Try the new Publish Online (Preview) feature in InDesign CC 2015 !

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online (Preview) is a technology preview feature that is available in English versions of InDesign CC 2015. The feature lets you effortlessly publish InDesign documents online. These documents can then be viewed with full fidelity in a desktop or tablet web browser with a delightful viewing experience, and without requiring a plug-in. If a richer document experience is desired, you can add buttons, slideshows, animation, audio, and video using the interactive authoring features of InDesign before publishing the document online.

The published document is intended to be a digital version of an InDesign document that will simply work on all devices that support a web browser. You can email the published document URL or simply share it on Facebook.

Try publishing a finished document by clicking the Publish Online button on the Application Bar or you can also choose File -> Publish Online (Preview)..To access or manage all your published documents, choose File -> Web Dashboard..For more details, see online help.

After trying it out, please give us feedback on the feature by filling this survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PublishOnline_Survey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 505 Replies 505
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Regarding the PDF size in the published document, the PDF attached is the one exported using your PDF-preset selected in the Advanced tab of the Publish online Export dialog. If you choose, "Reduced File Size" preset, the PDF should be the same as the one you exported manually.

Regards,

Sagar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brian,

Thanks a lot for sharing, published document looks great. We would be happy to hear the feedback, please share with us.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to disable the pop-up on hover for the Publish Online button? It is annoying and unnecessary. If  I need it I can click it as it is obviously there. I hope this isn't going to be a trend for new features.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jill,

The hover over pop-up will go away once you publish any document from this InDesign update(CC 2015.2).

Regards,
Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does it again. They present a new "wow, look what you can do" application, have us poor schmucks test it out for them, then they turn around and boot us out, remove the product, or increase the fee so that only the super rich companies can buy it. Yeah, sure. This looks promising. It looks like a great solution to the new super ridiculously expensive DPS that we poor single edition users tested out for them. So, my question. Is this product going to cost us anything when it's all tested out by us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, to be clear, I'm not Adobe staff. I'm a long-term user who has worked with Adobe as an Adobe Community Professional and trainer.

I have seen absolutely no indication that Adobe is trying to "monetize" this feature by charging for it. Even though it uses Adobe servers, it is included in the subscription to InDesign or the Creative Cloud apps.

It's because of features like this that Adobe has been quite successful in drawing new users to the Creative Cloud platform, and has exceeded the expectation of financial people with the platform's growth.

The DPS features had a much different history and Adobe charged for those services for professionals and enterprise from the beginning. I agree with you that it was very disappointing to see the Single Edition be essentially removed for users who were not in large organizations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Is there an option to host those documents on our own servers instead of Adobe's servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You can get an embed link and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI - It appears to be that in the past or with some other software people have been able to publish DPS or .folio files to their desktops then merge into a sort of central repository or send it off for a client to host. I don't think any company wants to have another companies URL (adobe) pop up with their content below it. SO what do we have to do to get these options. What program or version do we need? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed Layout EPUB will give you pretty much the same feature set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are people doing this that are not using EPUB because that is just a work around that will not be publishable as a single folio that is part of a group of articles within a broader group that was not created as an EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Can you clarify that please?

DPS is not available without a very large investment and the use of the Adobe Content Viewer for distribution beyond internal proofing purposes actually violate the EULA (something I just learned recently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Publish Online feature is the thing that really needed for Adobe Digital Edition. Few months ago I'm trying to create EPUB 3.0 FXL. After learning, trial and error, I'm facing the biggest challenge for this format. No good reader for Windows and Android. The best EPUB reader that could render almost flawlessly is only iBooks in iOS and Mac. But my audience is not exclusive for that platform.

Yes, I have trying bunch of EPUB 3.0 reader alternative including Adobe Digital Edition. But that app somehow can't read some font embedded in my epub when iBooks could show properly. It's really mystery. Readium, extension for Chrome capable render properly but their interface is bad and  can't toggle the fullscreen mode. I didn't bother with Android since searching Windows app that barely worked is pain in the arse.

Yet by miracle Publish Online got everything right. Just how come? Now I'm wondering each division in Adobe didn't communicate each other. That Adobe Digital Edition really need some fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online was developed by the InDesign team. The Adobe Digital Edition has its own team. You probably should be providing feedback in that forum:

Adobe Digital Editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it! Works well and is a good resource where I can see benefit to my clients.

Only problem I see is that the content resides on Adobes server. It would be better if we also had the ability to serve these files from our own servers.

Is this a possibility or do we need to take this as a cool technology preview but then move to some other more open-source online publication technology to achieve the same goal but not be beholden to an Adobe server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not possible. An almost identical set of features are available via Fixed Layout EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, if I may... I don't think FXL is the exactly right comparison. EPUBS, after all, require a reader. The beauty of a Publish Online-type capability is that it can be viewed via a browswer, with no special reader necessary. Would you agree?

In fact, I advocate in my Publish Online cover story, in the recent issue of InDesign Magazine, that it would be great to have a Publish Online SDK, where the technology could be put on one's own server. What do you think of that idea? Here is the issue of the magazine for reference (and for those who have a subscription: http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-magazine-issue-81-publish-online.php)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think given the question, it was the correct answer.

Of course, FXL requires a reader but it's worth a read through the forums where you'll find certain issues for different browsers. And...yes, it would be wonderful if we could host these ourselves. I'd love to see a WordPress plugin to do it, too, but in the mean time, for those that can't use Adobe servers due to client concerns (or their own) FXL is really the best alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would be a much better solution than using FXL.

The Publish Online method works without the need of a Reader and is Responsive, which are both key to their success in a website environment.

Hopefully self hosted solutions are eventually available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rahul, ,help!

When I cancel an upload to Publish Online Preview, afterwards it will not complete any additional uploads.

I'll wait a half hour for upload process to complete and will receive a message saying that there was an ERROR uploading file.

What is the work around?

Thanks, Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ciaomarrian,

Can you please confirm if you are getting this error while uploading the document or while cancelling it..

Because, your error is saying that it happens while uploading. It is expected to not upload further once the upload is cancelled by user.

We are doing some investigation around such errors that users are facing while uploading. It would be of great help if you can share your document with me..

Please share it with me via drop box @ monsingh@adobe.com

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Engineering Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Monica.

I am uploading a 200 page multimedia epub for client reviews. This file has

lots of images, movies and sound associated with it and I upload at 96dpi.

I do have some successful uploads, which are currently posted, but on

subsequent revisions it stops uploading, in spite of repeated tries,

signing in and out of Adobe account and CC, and even rebooting my high

speed cable modem.

The error happens when uploading... I have learned never to cancel an

upload which is guaranteed failure, and seems like it damages the file.

I'm not sure how I can upload all the elements of this indesign

project...but maybe you can look at the successful uploads which are posted

on my account and let me know why it won't work now.

Also, you'll note that the music files all play on top of each over...

which drives clients crazy.

They don't understand why I can upload comps sometimes and not others...

they think I've done something wrong.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/27618892-3479-41ce-a61e-3f6b83656879

The above is a successful upload but i've been trying all nihght to

update... no go ;(

Thanks Marian

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Monica Singh <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica, I had a file upload fail, and fail, and fail...at a painful 99%

(about a half hour each failure) — so I had to go back to a previous

version of my file just to let the client see something.

Now I get an error that I cannot identify that is from a previous version

of the file... maybe the crashed one?

External Text Anchor not found: 1

Text Anchor in "/Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus

Drive/Devlin_LICS_Seagate_12.2015/Devlin_Book/LICSInDesignFiles/LiCS_v82_BoleroShort_Layout.indd"

is missing: 1

How can I tell what text anchor this new error is coming from?

I have read all the forums and this seems to be a common problem... it is

nothing that will identify the faulty text anchor.. which only appeared

after all these Online Preview upload failures.

Thanks for any info, Marian

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Monica Singh <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am of the opinion that this software is not ready for Primetime! It is very buggy.. and the amount of failures on multipage docs is significamt.

Adobe has not been attentive to the problems/issues in a timely fashion. Many of my posts just hang as unresolved. This is a concern when dealing with pressing deadlines.

Thanks, Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: External Text Anchor not found.

Every time I have had that error, it has been because of a hyperlink that was originally created in another document. I found the external text anchor by examining the hyperlinks in the document. Fortunately there were only a handful.

Hope this helps

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines