Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Unable to change font size with arrows in control panel

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CS 6, Windows 7

Periodically, the arrow keys next to font size in the control panel on the top of the screen are greyed out. Some time ago, I found a workaround that was perfect. The URL was http://forums.adobe.com/message/4268879.

That message has been deleted or archived and I didn't save the info.

It involved making a text box and typing characters, then increasing the size so the text couldn't fit into the text box. But I cannot remember the rest of the steps.

Resetting preferences isn't a good option.

I cannot upgrade to a new version.

Shutting down takes more time than I have for this inconvenience.

This was described as a bug and when it happens, all files opened area affected.

Does anyone know the fix? Or can we find the original message?

Thanks, 

norma

TOPICS
Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've eliminated from consideration every possible fix. You'll have to live with it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's certainly helpful, Bob.

I was actually asking if anyone else had seen the post or remembered the fix.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is resetting prefs not a good option?

Seems preferable to spend five minutes rebuilding those to living with a constant headache.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I have a number of custom settings that takes way more than 5 minutes to rebuild. It also seems to me that I actually tried this once (it only happens about once a year) and if I remember correctly, it did not resolve the problem.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it takes so long to reset your custom prefs you should be backing them up someplace (after you 've made a clean set) so all you need to do is copy/paste into the correct locations with ID closed, then restart.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a great idea! Where are they stored, so I can give that a whirl...

Thanks!

n

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jain...

You have obviously gone to a great deal of trouble to sort through the archived messages. And it appears you have sucessfully found the message number I thought I was seeking. Unfortunately, while this addresses the issue, it doesn't have the fix I was seeking. 

I truly appreciate your effort, but apparently I am just out of luck. 

I'll shut down and solve the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@normar28561211 Oh, no trouble at all. I'm sorry you didn't have the right message number so I could find what you were looking for. But if you have any other clues about it, I'll take a look!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where are they stored, so I can give that a whirl..."

Hi norma,

see into:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html#restore_...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines