• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import existing preferences in InDesign 19 version

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really bad. I do not have the time to check the preferences with the older version to look what preferences I had and the worse thing is, ALL defined colours are gone... Same is for formats and stuff, I have to do everything from the scratch, this is really really bad!

So please let us use the preferences of the older version as it always worked that way before!

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Hi @ELPrepress ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We have received similar reports from other users and have logged a bug. Please stay tuned to this discussion for the update on the bug. I'd also request you to share the v18 preferences folder saved at these locations: 

Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [#]
Win: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]

Rishabh_Tiwari_1-1697058506056.png

You can add the file to a shared location and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Hi all, 

We are able to reproduce the issue in-house with customer-specific preference. We would want to validate if all of you are facing similar issues or not. Hence we would request you to zip your preference for InDesign 18.0 and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards

Sanyam Talwar (he/him)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paulflong ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We're aware of the issue and have logged a bug. Please stay tuned to this discussion for updates on the issue.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes, this bug stands resolved. Can you confirm if you're still experiencing the issue? If yes, please confirm the version of InDesign & OS for testing this on our end.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Cannot use the 2024 version. Most annoying is the key shortcuts, which I hade optimized for Norwegain keyboard. Not to speak about my Dictionary! Maybe more stuff, I don't know, because those above is enough to still hang on with the #18 (2023) version. Extremely bad and dissapointing. How could such important functions been "forgotten" in the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep an eye out for updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Rant alert>

Gotta love a large software company releasing software with a known bug and then asking us to lodge this as a "Feature request".

Adobe is the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software is tested in Prerelease programme that you can join 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/invitation-to-indesign-prerelease/td-p/12371924

Vast reality of software of testing is that it's not always straightforward and what worked in prerelease may have inadvertently been changed with knockon effects with updates (minor or major) to other parts of the software.

Nobody asked you to log a 'Feature Request' - the link I posted to is for a 'Bug Reports' AND 'Feature Requests'.

Reporting bugs is the best way to get your voice heard - posts on the forums are not counted towards getting your voice heard.

Report bugs or make a feature request
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

You can search the Bugs forums and find similar/same and add your voice

Or start your own Bug Report

Every bug report is looked at - logged - and actionable.

Some bugs are higher priority, some are lower priority.

And bugs / features / etc. are roadmapped by the team for future releases and updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came to post but assumed I wasn't the only one. Jumping in to say "Me too!" REALLLY not going to try and recreate decades of tweaks to preferences. Assuming since its known issue at this point that there is no need to send along my zipped up preffernces but just wanted to join the thread to hear when the fix is going live.  Today would be great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding your voice here is great. But the only way your will be heard is by finding the relevant Bug report and adding your voice

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually did that first before posting here! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work on our Macs either. New M1 and M2 macs. Get the settings were created on a different version of InDesign. Well, yes, of course! And it overwrites to default. Even manually copying over our prefs into the new ~/Library file doesn't work. Just get the same error the next time. So bad. And it even deleted our IN5 plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm jumping in here to say that just this afternoon I have discovered that ALL of my document presets—presets that have migrated with every upgrade for YEARS—are all gone. Now I'm about to take even more time to read the rest of this thread and all other ones to see what y'all have come up with to fix this mess before I start crying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be pinned to the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm wrapping up a magazine this weekend, so I'll wait until that's off to press. 

If I go back to v18, will I still be able to open the issue I just completed, or any other file I've worked on in v19?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if you saved it under v19, the you will have to save as .idml first...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dang. that just complicated things even more.

speaking into the air here... i would like to request from the adobe gods a refund or discount on everyone's considerable subscription fee for the amount of time we've spent on this issue, and will continue to deal with this issue, until it's fixed. 

yeah... i know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, in Creative cloud I went back to the 18.5 version and deleted the 19.0.  Everything is still available for me here.  So I stopped crying for now.  A fellow once said to me:  'if it still works, don't upgrade nor update'.  That's what I'll keep in mind from now on.  Thank you for the loss of time Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading is a choice. Personally, with many years of experience, I never upgrade unless I need a feature or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure...its a choice but we pay monthly for this stuff so expecting it to work when it comes out. Some bugs have taken over a year to solve. Not going to feel sorry for the $4.8 billion company. To expect it work day one with a new operating system, or upgrading from one version to another. Maybe if they spent as much time testing as they put in to planning MAX every year the software would be a tighter release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not going to feel sorry for the $4.8 billion company. 

A bit closer to $257 billion but what's a quarter of a trillion dollars among friends?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOPS, I meant to pull the annual profits number and accidently pulled a quarterly earnings figure. But to your point, using their valuation makes a MUCH better point for my case! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can join the prerelease program 

https://blog.developer.adobe.com/how-to-join-creative-cloud-prerelease-programs-ccecc10ae7d3

You can be a beta-tester.

The fact is it is Beta Tested and when it's mostly working with 1000s of testers already - then it's released.

What can't be accounted for is millions of computers with different setups and specs and operating systems.

So - you can join the program and be a beta tester. 

I don't do this - and I don't even update any software (not just Adobe). 

I play computer games and I don't upgrade those when the first one comes out. In fact, a new version is out soon for my favourite computer game, probably in November, but I won't buy it until probably February.  Because it too will have bugs and things that won't be ironed out til February.

It's not just Adobe, I think every software company out there releases their software and it will have bugs.

I remember in the 80's 90's that I'd buy a magainze with a new computer programme on a floppy disk onthe front (later CDs) - and you'd have to wait til the next issue to see if a new floppy/CD would be there to fix some bugs, or you'd possibly wait months, or even a year for an update. 

Guess nothing has changed, except everything is instant download and there's not much waiting.

Good news is - team is aware of it and working on a fix. 

My general philosophy with software is if it's working don't update it. 

If you are going to update don't update to the latest version. 

Or only update for a must have feature that you can't go without.

Again - I'd install separately and keep the old one for things.

And I'd never change a project to a new version of the software.
I'd only start a new project in the new software.

There is a period of running both sets of the software in tandem.

At the moment I run Illustartor 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 in tandem.

Because I still have projects from 2021 that are needed for others still on 2021. 

It's not fun.

But it's the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear! Hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines