• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import existing preferences in InDesign 19 version

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really bad. I do not have the time to check the preferences with the older version to look what preferences I had and the worse thing is, ALL defined colours are gone... Same is for formats and stuff, I have to do everything from the scratch, this is really really bad!

So please let us use the preferences of the older version as it always worked that way before!

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Hi @ELPrepress ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We have received similar reports from other users and have logged a bug. Please stay tuned to this discussion for the update on the bug. I'd also request you to share the v18 preferences folder saved at these locations: 

Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [#]
Win: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]

Rishabh_Tiwari_1-1697058506056.png

You can add the file to a shared location and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Hi all, 

We are able to reproduce the issue in-house with customer-specific preference. We would want to validate if all of you are facing similar issues or not. Hence we would request you to zip your preference for InDesign 18.0 and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards

Sanyam Talwar (he/him)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so, so bad. It's not only InDesign but also Photoshop. Working on downgrading InDesign as described below, which did work. Now trying Photoshop, but it's tricky since I was using the Beta, and the Generative tools have been useful...

Ugh what a top-notch screw up. Following for news on a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say this is unusual - as I've said before, all software, games and even Operating Systems I have used since the 80's and up have had flaws on release of new versions. 

Again, a key reason I never upgrade straightaway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully, this is not a helpful comment. I've seen you say it before here, I don't need it said again. What I need (and have found in the thread) are workarounds and solutions, not to be made to feel that I did something foolish. No need for a reply, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Logan:

Chiming in on your Photoshop comment since you seem to be up to speed on InDesign... 

Generative Fill is now part of the official Photoshop release (25.0) and that version is stable. (The Photoshop beta continues and is up to 25.2. Betas are fun to play with but don't use them for your actual work.)

If you are having issues with Photoshop 25, you can keep it installed and still reinstall Photoshop 24.7.1  As you said, 24 does not have the Generative Fill feature, but you could still use it in 25 and then take the generated content back to 24 if you needed to.

I don't have the background on your Photoshop struggles, but if it sounds like you are having issues with 25, so this is a way to keep Gen Fill and use 24. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, thanks for this. Yes, I use Photoshop Beta / Main as you describe. Unfortunately downgrading to 24.7.1 didn't recover my custom actions, plug-ins, workspaces, etc., unfortunately. I had been using them in 24 previously, and always use the "Keep Preferences" option. Not sure what went wrong, or if there's a fix other than hours of re-creating my workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Logan:

Photoshop preferences are saved on your hard drive. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html for locations.

The only question is: were they deleted when you upgraded? If they were, do you have access to a back up — for example, if you're on a Mac, you might be using Time Machine and can return to a point in time on your hard drive before 24 was removed. Looking ahead, you can copy these files to another location — potentially on a cloud drive, so that they are always safe and accessible.

As a long-time user (and trainer) on Adobe apps, I have disabled auto-updates for my Creative Cloud applications. This allows me to decide when I want to update, and I get to see the dialog box that asks me if I want to remove the old version, and if I want to migrate preferences. I never remove the old version because what is happening after this update is not that unusual (though this year does seem more intense). I also don't migrate preferences, but that's me.

I'm not sure if you (or others on this thread) will find this useful, but what I do instead is copy my presets from one version to another manually. I wrote up the process for InDesign an upgrade or two ago. The same thing would work for Photoshop although you need the folders that are in that first link.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-how-to-copy-your-presets-after-an-update

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still not fixed?
Why would I pay a monthly fee for a product that's not been tested properly before releasing an update? I mean, this is not a community driven crowdfunded project run from a garage but a billion-dollar corporation.
This is getting frustrating – I'm talking about other buggy releases (Photoshop) and useless AI features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see an update in your Creative Cloud? If not - then a fix is not rolled out in your area. 

You have the option to rollback

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

If not you can wait for a fix. 

You can join a pre-release programme
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/invitation-to-indesign-prerelease/td-p/12371924

And you can add your voice in the Prerelease testing 

You can also submit bug reports
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

----------------------

============

----------------------

Just to note:
Posting the forum is useful to let others know you having the same issue.

But the Prerelease Program is there for you to join and be part of the solution.

Or you can raise bugs in the InDesign User Voice

These 2 places are the best place to get your voice heard.

It's not very likely that posting your frustrations is going to have any impact at all.

Bug forums + Prerelease programmes have the best chance of you being heard.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but the second part of your answer seems out of place :

This user is complaining about Adobe software not being tested properly before release despite the substancial monthly fee we pay.

And now you tell him that he just has to to the beta testing and bug reports himself in addition to paying the fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no fix. So, you can either install it and set up your preferences again or you can wait.

I get the frustration but my list of issues doesn't even include this one. If you're that unhappy you can also cancel your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's that simple : if you're unhappy, you can cancel your subscription and just starve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has already pushed out a 25.1 update. Come on InDesign, you don't want to finish last, go for SILVER buddy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for the Illustrator devs to resolve issues too. Hopefully it's a tie for silver 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this issue has not yet ben resolved. After installing InDesign 2024, I got the preferences error. Considering the possibility that I somehow spaced out and elected to not carry over my old preferences — or perhaps that the install simply got botched somehow — I uninstalled and chose to have my InDesign 2024 preferences deleted as well. Reinstalled, and received the same same preferences error.

Luckily, I saved my previous version of InDesign, so I'm just going to use that until (hopefully) the bug gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uggg, that's unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question. 

Is anyone on this thread in the pre-release group? Not asking a question that would break confidentiality, just curious if bug release versions like we are waiting through go through a pre-release test first or does Adobe just drop hot fixes without them going through external testing?

While I don't understand how 2024 would have even gotten released with this bug in the first place, checking for updates multiple times a day is a drag. 

AND if it doesn't break confidentiality, and Adobe does run fixes through pre-release group first, can anyone confirm that the .1 version is at least in the testing phase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can join the Pre-Release programme - it's not a secret or anything.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/invitation-to-indesign-prerelease/td-p/12371924

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp...I know I can join the program but was looking to skip the step if not of any use. 

BUT, fine, joined and spoilers everyone, there isn't a version newer than 26 days ago. Womp Womp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really have no idea what  you're talking about or what your expectations are. 

I haven't seen a completely flawless release of an operating system, computer game, software, or anything related to computers working 100% perfectly - ever. 

Things are not working, they are working to fix them - 

You can join the programmes and submit your input and help with the prereleases - or you don't do it. 

And like the rest of us, whether it's Apple, Windows, Apple, Microsoft, Sega, Rockstar, EA Sports, Sports Interactive, or the 1000's of other software companies on the market - you just need patience until it's resolved.

Then once that's resolved - there will be another issue - we then wait again until it's fixed.

Then when it's all fixed - they'll release a new version update - and we'll do this all again.

And this is how it is for nearly every single thing on my computers.

Again you can get ahead of the curve by being involved in the prerelease programmes - that's up to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene Tyson I've never seen this to where your option is "don't use new version that you're paying money for" OR "use new version without presets that you had since forever" .... also, why is your comment so aggressive towards @clif_CROP ? I think this community is for addressing frustrations with their products, and this is a big one. You're acting as though you are personally hurt by it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody said you can't use it. You are free to use it. It's not working as expected - and there's a fix on the way.

The Presets are not transferring over - it's being looked at for a fix. 

I think this community is for addressing frustrations with their products, and this is a big one. You're acting as though you are personally hurt by it.

By @paulflong

You are free to address your frustrations.

However, ranting here does nothing  - the clear place indicated multiple times is the Bugs Forum

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

This is the place for your feedback - it's best place for your voice to be heard.

It might not be taken into account on the forums - in all likelihood, it won't be.

The tone of my message is pragmatic rather than aggressive or impolite. I am expressing a realistic view about the common experience of dealing with software-related issues. I'm trying to get across the sense of practicality, emphasising the ongoing nature of software development and the need for patience from users.

I have pointed out the option of joining prerelease programs, where I am in a very netural tone - as it is a choice rather than a demand. Overall, I'm being honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE - TEST 👏 YOUR 👏 BUILDS 👏 BEFORE 👏 YOU 👏 GO 👏 LIVE 👏 WITH 👏 THEM!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if anyone didn't have this issue and 19 worked with their 18 preferences, or if its all users. Of course there are users (I'm looking at my wife) who never customize keyboard shortcuts, workspaces or anything so working with it fresh out of the box is the norm for some people.  

Oh and FYI, three weeks, still not patched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add your vocie to the Bugs Forum - it's the only way things like this get looked at - there is no point posting here. 
The best place to post is here

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

And it the more it's talked about there the higher on the priority list it gets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Eugene. Stop. I'm going to be respectful here and ask you to stop. I don't need your sideline comments. As I've already stated, it has been posted to uservoice and has been confirmed by Adobe that a fix is in the works. I have curiousities of other user experiences and am using the FORUM for that discussion. Respectfully, do NOT tell me again that there is "no point" to my postings. Last time. Not going to be nice after this. Have a nice day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines