• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to launch InDesign: Continuous loading

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a continuous beach ball when launching InDesign on my iMac (OS 13.6.9 and up to date). It keeps spinning for hours and the only way out of it is to force quit the program.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Creative Cloud and all of my Adobe apps but it still keeps happening. I've also tried the other solutions suggested online but to no avail.

The computer is running smoothly. I work on files in Google Drive but that has worked without any problems in the past.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong.

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carefully work thru this compendium of troubleshooting advice:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Mike for that comprehensive page. I worked through as many of them as I could. Unfortunately, the problem still remains. 

I transferred the file to another Mac and it opened without any problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @amharc,

I’m sorry to hear that the issue is still persisting despite your best efforts. It sounds really frustrating, especially when you’ve tried so many troubleshooting steps.

Based on your description, it seems like the spinning beach ball might be caused by Google Drive not syncing properly on your Mac. When InDesign tries to access a file that’s not fully synced, it can cause the program to hang because the file isn’t available locally.

As a workaround, I recommend keeping your InDesign files locally on your Mac rather than directly in Google Drive. This should help prevent the spinning beach ball issue. You can always move the file back to Google Drive once you’re done working on it.

Please let me know if this helps or if there’s anything else I can assist you with!

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul. I tried that but unfortunately it didn't work either.

I get a 'Do you want to start automatic recovery?' message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @amharc

Thank you for trying the suggested steps by Anshul. Would you mind sharing a few more details like: 

1. Is the issue specific to a single file or happening with all InDesign documents? If single, please share the file with us to test at our end. 

2. What version of InDesign are you using? 

We will wait for your response. 

Thank you,

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abhishek. Thank you for responding.

1. It's not specific to any one file. It happens as soon as I launch InDesign, just after the Home screen appears. I don't even get a chance to open a file.

2. I'm on the 2024 version.

Thanks again.

Seán.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @amharc,

Thank you for your response. If possible, could you share one of the files with us for testing? Additionally, a screen recording of your entire workflow would be really helpful in understanding the issue better.

Thank you,  
Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abhishek,

File and video attached. Unfortunately, the video didn't record the beachball but it was there from the very moment the file started opening.

Thanks.

Seán.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @amharc,

Thank you for sharing the file and screen recording. I appreciate your effort in providing these details. I was able to open the file without any issues.

Please download the InDesign file to your desktop folder and ensure that the linked file, Library_ucd_brandmark_black_text.ai is downloaded and kept on the Desktop folder. Once you've done that, try reopening the file and seeing if the issue persists.

Let me know if you still encounter any errors or need further assistance.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul,

I downloaded the InDesign file and the linked file and tried to open it. Unfortunately, there was no change and the problem persists. I left the program running last night and the beach ball was still spinning this morning! 

I also ran Activity Monitor. A screenshot is attached here. Yesterday I noticed that the beach ball is also starting to appear in Photoshop when I try to place an image into a file. It lasts about 10–20 seconds.

Seán.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look here https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-is-slowing-down-while-open-documents-in...

Activity viewer can give a hint where the program is stuck.

Maybe you can prepare a few similar screenshots. I'll be away until next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dirk. I removed five fonts but that didn't make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @amharc

Thank you for the update. Would you mind running the document in Safe mode to check if any third-party driver is causing the issue?

We will wait for your response. 

Thank you,

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion was not about the outcome / fonts in that case, but about the approach to see where InDesign is stuck – it will likely be different for yours as it is not just a delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abhiskek,

Apologies for not being able to get back to you sooner.

I ran the document in Safe Mode. Firstly, Creative Cloud launched but it too three minutes to initialize. I then clicked on the InDesign document file. It launched fine and I could move the cursor around for about one minute. The beach ball then appeared again and the program froze, so I had to use Force Quit.

The computer was running slow for a time. It took about 5 seconds to respond to clicks.

Seán.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the problem computer, is Google Drive set to have files available for offline use? IOW, is the file on your hard drive?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Mike,

Google Drive is set for offline use. The file is on my hard drive, in a folder synced to Google Drive.

Seán.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines