I have a really annoying problem since yesterday, and it's driving me crazy.
Everything was fine, until suddenly I'm unable to move any object with my mouse (I use a graphic tablet).
I can select the objects, and resize them, but the mouse can't move them, I can only move them using the directional arrows.
I closed and restarted the app several times, no change.
I checked my graphic tablet, but there is no problem in others applications, only Indesign.
I updated the app this morning, but nothing changed...
Does someone have an idea ?
First thing, try a different mouse.
Which version of InDesign and OS?
Have your tried resetting your InDesign Preferences?
I tried another mouse, same problem.
I have InDesign CC 2017 (2017.1 build 220.127.116.11) on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5).
I just tried to reset the preferences, but the problem is still here.
Try this, in InDesign Preferences under the GPU Performance tab, turn off (untick) GPU performance.
Still no change.
Have you tried trashing your InDesign cache folder?
It didn't work.
The strange thing is this bug appeared while I was working on Indd.
It didn't appear after I launched the app.
Check if the layer got locked. If so unlock it.
Try a new document to see if something it is something in the current document.
It's not a lock problem : as I said, I can select and resize the objects, and move them with the directional arrows.
I just can't move them with the mouse.
I tried to create new documents, same problem.
Do you have any third party plugin or software installed that could be conflicting like an anti-virus? If yes, please disable it for a moment and check. Are you logged in as an admin in this system? Was it working fine earlier?
What happens if you 1. shut down your computer 2. turn off your mouse 3. restart your computer 4. turn on your mouse
Yes, I'm the admin, and yes it was working fine earlier. It just happened suddenly.
I tried disabling the anti-virus, but it didn't change anything. It was already active before the bug though, it would have been surprising.
I also tried to shut down/turn off/restart/turn on, but no change.
Well, I guess I'll wait for the next Indesign update, hoping this problem will be solved...
r u sure about the master case? is that object placed in the master page?
did u check the lock issue in the layers panel?
if yes, can u show us a screenshot from ur case?
I'm not sure about what you mean by "master case" (English is not my native language and I don't use Indesign in English), but I'm sure it's not on the "master page", assuming we're talking about the same thing ^^
It's not a lock issue, I can select the objets and resize them.
I can show you a screenshot, but you won't see anything relevant.
Everything is ok besides the fact I can't move the objets with the mouse.
Do you have the same issue if you hold Shift or Command keys down?
Please try these steps and share results.
1) Boot system to safe boot with same account and check how it works, if it works fine close all third party running services. For details click here Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
2) Log in to root account For details check here How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support
Check how application works there, If it works fine
Follow same steps for
Note: If you are on office system ,these (/Library/Application support and/Library/Preferences) folders may or may not allow you to add user , that is completely fine.
After that launch system back to normal user account and check how it works.
So I was about to try your solution, when Indesign crashed, and restarted automatically.
And after that, the bug was all gone !
Everything seems to be working fine, and I don't know why...
Even though I restarted the app several times, it never worked.
Anyway, I keep your solution in case I need it later, it seemed to be useful.
Thanks everyone for your kind help.
Thanks for the confirmation. We are glad that your issue is resolved. You certainly can try Srishti's solution for this issue, it is related to permissions at times. Feel free to report if you need assistance.
Today I had the same problem but on Windows and I couldn't solve the problem 😞
Is there any similar solution for those who are working on Windows?
This may or may not be related, but I've been having the same problem and it was driving me crazy. While the problem is probably much more complicated than my solution, it turns out the thing that fixed mine was pressing the Insert key (Windows). It apparently got inadvertantly activated and when I toggled it off again, everything started work correctly. I don't understand it, but it seemed to fix it in my particular case.
I am having the same problem with Illustrator on 2 different windows work stations. We uninstalled the software and reinstalled it which fixed it... Oddly enough they both did it today, 1 at 10am and the other at 1pm (central time)
If you have any questions please let me know, I am glad to help.
Pro DeZigns com
[personal info removed by moderator]