• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from InDesign 2022 (17.0) on macOS Monterey

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to macOS 12.0.1 and InDesign can't save or export files anymore. 

What I tried with no success:

• Delete Cache and Prefrences in the Library folder
  • Uninstall / Install InDesign
  • Rebooted the system
  • Logged out and in from my Adobe Account
  • Tried to use the Intel and M1 verison of InDesign. Same problems

So, clicking (or using the shortcuts) Save or Export, nothing happens. When I try to place another document the attatched, broken dialog appears.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried but couldn't replicate this issue at our end. However, few users have confirmed that disconnecting the Sidecar has helped resolving this issue. 

Could you please confirm you are using Sidecar and does removing it helps resolving this issue?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Not Sidecar @Srishti Bali but I use this USB-C dongle: https://minix.com.hk/de/products/neo-c-x-de (1. version). AND when disconnecting the Macbook from the dongle/monitor, all dialogs work again. 

Please release an update. All other Adobe application work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Was horrified to update to OS Monterey yesterday so that I could update to InDesign 2022 today. Menus drop-downs no longer worked in InDesign so couldn't export to PDF presets and had to go through the "Export" keyboard shortcut. Found one solution. I set the Apple System Preferences -> Accesibility -> Display to "Reduce Transparency". Menu function is now working correctly. Now to go find out where all my PhotoShop shortcuts went...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

This issue went away for me when I updated the macOS to 12.1. I was having the saving issues with Adobe, Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox and other programs, but the update seems to have fixed everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

When I went to upvote, I discovered someone said that simply updating Monterey to 12.1 solved the problem. So I upgraded. And it did. WOW, wish I'd known it was that easy. All that agony for naught!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 128 Replies 128
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this issue finally be resolved? I'm forced to work with the internal monitor for two weeks now. This issue not only applies to the USB-C MINIX adapter but also to Dell USB-C monitors and Apple’s Thunderbolt display. It is a real hassle and there is no way back – very frustrating, every single day of work in InDesign and Photoshop. I will NEVER update within the first MONTHS after launch of new OS or Adobe Software. FYI: this issue only came up with my Intel-based Macbook Pro. On an M1-based MacBook Pro everything works – if this issue is due to Monterey in combination with Intel-based hardware and CC applications, then Apple must be informed and they need to deliver an update. This issue must be crippling thousands of users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srishti Bali any updates?! This is a very long time for an app to be this broken. Having to switch my main monitor every time before using Indesign isn't what I'm paying so much money for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srishti BaliIs there any possible plan for fixing it?

It's known problem for couple weeks and I am working every day since the bug appeared with Photoshop, Premiere, Ilustrator were this problem affect me. Its really annoying to disconnect dislays from my Macbook couple time a day for a weeks. You (as company) know that I would not leave, but it would be nice if I not find critical problems with your software every month. 

Thank you for your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue went away for me when I updated the macOS to 12.1. I was having the saving issues with Adobe, Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox and other programs, but the update seems to have fixed everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue. Not sure how this was missed in testing.... Please fix ASAP!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich kann Dokumente nicht mehr speichern, exportieren oder verpacken. Auch die Tastaturkürzel für z. B. "Speichern unter" funktioniert nicht. Es sind auch alle Tastaturkürzel ausgegraut.

Ich habe schon die Intelversion probiert, die Vorgängerversion, alles deinstalliert und neu installiert. Bringt alles nichts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

=========

You can always try the creative cloud cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

============

Report bugs

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank. Das hatte ich auch schon versucht. Hat leider nicht funktioniert. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please be more specific?

What have you tried? How did you try it? 

What didn't work? 

It helps us narrow down what is going on.

Have you tried creating a new user account on your machine - it's a troubleshooting step to see if it works there - if it does then there's probably steps to take for your own user account.

Are you running any 3rd Party Programes, Plugins, Scripts (startup scripts), any new peripherals (printers/usbs/mouse/keyboard etc.) 

-----

You can roll back to a previous version 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much! I have now created a new user and now everything works fine. What can I do now on my admin user so that it works there?
I work with an external apple keyboard and a logitech mx master 3 mouse. Epson printer ecotank 4750

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm totally desperate. I had created a new user and then everything worked first. Then at some point I couldn't save anything locally in Illustrator either, only in the cloud, although I always clicked on Save locally at desktop, but nothing happens after that. So I created a new user again and didn't install anything other than Adobe and Office. At first everything went completely normal, then I come back from a walk and in Indesign you cannot save, save as, export, pack, etc. again. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, I have the brand new MacBook Pro with M1 Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps?

Apologies, I cannot help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why post this? We all tried, something is broken in InDesign. It only appears when connected to an external display. Other Adobe Apps work fine. They need to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hat mit deinem externen Monitor zu tun. Beende das Programm, stecke ihn ab, öffne Indesign neu, dann sollten die Befehle und Dialoge wieder funktionieren.

Ist ein bekannter Fehler unter 12.0.1, meine Freunin hat gerade das gleiche Problem.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html

Hoffe, das hilft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
das ist ja wirklich nicht zu fassen!!! Tatsächlich, ich glaube es nicht. Ich habe jetzt schon sooo viele Stunden dafür verschwendet. 

1000 Dank!!! LG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freut mich, dass ich geholfen habe. Momentan spielen wir das TimeMachine-Backup zurück, ein Downgrade scheint momentan die einzige Lösung zu sein, ohne auf einen Fix von Adobe warten zu müssen... schade. Zeigt wieder mal, dass man jeweils ein paar Monate warten soll, bevor man ein OS updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I resolved the issue.

I'm on an iMac pro with a Cintiq Pro 24 as a second display. I made the Cintiq the main display and saved as. When the save dialog box appeared, it filled the entire Cintiq screen. I resized it smaller and dragged it onto the iMac screen and clicked save. I switched the main display back to the iMac and it has been working since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue today after updating to Monterey 12.0.1, just installed the latest version of InDesign as well. Try to save a document, export a document I am able to click but no menu appears. Restart, re-install, etc. etc. nothing. I unplugged from my display as suggested and tried to save, a menu did appear but it was a blank grey box rather than actually allowing me save/export options. YIKES. Any fixes to get back to normal? I see many of you had this problem days ago, so I'm hoping there is a solution by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP! I am in the very same situation! I am using a new MacBook Pro with the M1 Silicon chip. I am not using an extrenal display. I am running Mac OS Monterrey v12.0. No dialog boxes will open when selecting OPEN, SAVE, SAVE AS, EXPORT, ETC... Shortcuts don't work either. There is NO way to save any work donew in the program. When I go to close Indesign 2022, the dialogue box that asks to save or discard changes opens but nothing saves even when SAVE ot SAVE AS is selected. Please help! I can't save any of my work on InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a work-around for those experiencing issues, such as not being able to save or export after updating to InDesign 2022 and using an extra or multiple monitors with the aid of a dongle. If you are using another monitor other than the retina display of your Macbook or iMac as your desktop (primary work place) you must reconfigure the Menu Bar in the Arrangement Palette under Displays in the System Preferences.

Go to System Preferences < Displays < Arrangement. The Menu Bar (the little white bar) in the Arrangement Palette must be set to your Macbook Pro or iMac. See the attached pics. 

Hopefully this helps someone out there until Adobe has a permanent fix.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.36.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it is a resolution thing.

I have no problems at all when my mac is connected to my 1440p monitor. 

When I'm at work and connected to a 1080p, the save dialog doesn't show up.

Solution: With no display connected opened, indesign, bring up the save-as dialog and resize it smaller. Quit. Connect montior, open indesign, open save-as dialog, works no problem....

The save-as dialog is just too big for the screen and not rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding, it's not just adobe it happens with Word also... So is a MacOS problem not application specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines