• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

url's not working when using publish online feature

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with the publish online feature. I have a 94 page directory that I published online back in January, which worked perfectly, all url's active and clickable. Today I have updated the print version of the job and created the new interactive version ready to publish online. However, when I 'Publish Online' from indesign and view the document, non of the url's appear to be active and clickable. I have tried creating a new document with just a single url for testing purposes and that doesn't work either. - the problem seems to be present in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

If I go back to the original indesign document that I published online back in January and republish it, it all works fine. I'm using the latest version of Indesign 14.0.1 on Mac. I'm slightly stumped as to what is causing the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

And there is already a bug report here:

World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Vote for fixing the bug.

Raise your voice in the comments there.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your sample single-page file and the resulting Publish Online page? There shouldn't be a problem with this type of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to the publish online result:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/a85da583-4782-4863-9c9e-499693524342

And here's a download for the indesign file:

mbf.me/wHKtFN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

I can confirm the issue with your Publish Online document.

Also tested with your InDesign document and created a Publish Online document on my own.

Same issue.

I inspected your hyperlink in the Hyperlinks panel:

The URL address does not match exactly the target website.

In your link: http://

The web site uses: https://

The address www.solentdesignstudio.com will become https://www.solentdesignstudio.co.uk/ when added to a browser's tab.

I changed the hyperlink target into your document to https, used the co.uk/ address as well, but still had the same issue after Publish Online the document again.

What will work are buttons that point to the website.

Here my Publish Online document with a button, the yellow rectangle above the written www.solentdesignstudio.com address:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/aaee2e10-4ae3-4ecb-ad7c-b4ca0a0a6850

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your help Uwe. Unfortunately, your work around won't be practical for the directory that I've produced as there are over 900 url/email links that need to be interactive. I've tried reinstalling indesign, but still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

let's see if others can also confirm the issue before proceeding.

Worst case would be that Publish Online has a severe bug.

I think, Publish Online, the Service, will be updated and enhanced with features or features will be dropped from time to time.

Something that is out of control of an InDesign user…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

I now made it work!

So there is hope for 900 hyperlinks.

Changed some things with text formatting.
Used a different font, Source Serif Pro with a different weight: Extra Light instead of italic, changed the paragraph composer to Adobe Paragraph Composer. Now, the hyperlinks are working.

See my results:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/f4a06e8c-a2c8-4a47-beef-54c448cab51b

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Tested more.

Only changed the paragraph composer from Adobe World-Ready to Adobe Paragraph Composer.

That is working! So the Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer that was applied to your text is the culprit.

Wow. That's quiet a bug!

Here a new Publish Online document where I only changed the paragraph composer:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/01ab3afd-76d3-4f15-a54d-3d9b02a01a56

Do you rely on the Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer?

Are you perhaps using a mix of Arabic or Hebrew with English in your text?

If not, just switch to the Adobe Paragraph Composer and you are done.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there is already a bug report here:

World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Vote for fixing the bug.

Raise your voice in the comments there.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thanks Uwe, I will try out what you've suggested and fingers crossed my links will all work  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there- I'm having the same issue. I have several hyperlinks that work when I export as an interactive pdf, but when i publish online, they dont link to the websites. However it looks like mine are already all in regular paragraph composer, not world ready. any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - already set to Adobe Paragraph Composer. Link works fine in InDesign - i.e. click in the Hyperlinks panel and it opens webpage - whether I have a word with link in background OR the complete URL in the text. BUT as soon as I send to 'Publish Online...' the link isn't actve and just doesn't work!? Tried changing to 'Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer' and both the single paragraph options, but nothing works!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running latest 17.4 InDesign on latest 12.5.1. MaOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GSWiFiMan,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please share a few more details like:

1. The version of the OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. Will it be possible for you to share a sample file and a published link? If yes, please add the file to a shared location and share the link with us.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh

Sorry, I tried replying to the NoReply email!... Doh!

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this.
1. MacOS: 12.5.1 and InDesign: 17.4
2. I haven’t tried with other files, but I have tried restarting the Mac and InDesign, etc., but makes no difference.
3 Happy to share the file concerned - I’ve packaged up the files and you can download from this WeTransfer link.
Also see screenshot below for highlight of linked text, which works fine when testing link in InDesign - the link it's looking to connect with is:
But it simply doesn’t work within Publish Online...

Mny thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried in a new 1 page doc and the link worked fine!? So just not working in the file I sent you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried using IDML file and deleting all pages except for the page with the link... none work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just removed both of the text columns from that page, and created a new columns, pasted in new plain unformatted text and tried link... it worked!? I will reformat text later and see if that link would still work. Fingers crossed, but maybe just corrupt text on that page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reformatted the text and thankfully the link still worked when I proceeded to 'Publish Online...'. So although the original text looked fine and worked in testing link within InDesign, there must have been some hidden corruption that only revealed itself when publishing online. So it was just two columns I deleted from one page (there was other text on the page) and replaced those two columns with new unformatted text, and then added link and reformatted text.

Thanks for giving me the clue to try another doc... as proved it was just that one, and then just two linked columns on one page!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent a whole afternoon trying to get Hyperlinks to work in the publish online feature... Very frustrating and seems like the bug still exists. 

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared in this similar discussion and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines