• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using different master/parent pages in conjunction with primary frames

Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been running into a snag I don't remember experiencing before, though I've been using the same method of layout for almost a decade.

I am a book designer. I always create my InD doc with a primary frame that will be used for the majority of pages. Then I create several master/parent pages for different circumstances such as the beginning of chapters or divider pages for "parts."   The chapter-start masters usually include a partial page sink of 6-10 picas.

The problem (again, this never used to happen, and I don't know why it does now or what has changed) comes when I need to apply the chapter-start master to a page in the layout. It applies to the page but NOT to the primary text frame that is on the page. Instead, it places itself as a second text frame UNDERNEATH the primary text frame.  I am not getting the effect I used to get, which is to apply the master page text frame attributes (e.g., page sink) to the primary frame already sitting on the document page. Instead I just end up with two text frames, and my text ends up in the incorrect one of the two.

Yes, I could create an object style to apply to the primary frame when I get to the beginning of a chapter, but there are master items I want to add to these pages, and sometimes using an object style for the text frame is only a partial solution and leads to a multi-step process to get the rest of my page attributes in place.

As I mentioned above, this is a problem only recently. I know for a fact that this never used to be a problem. I suppose there's a possibility that in past I somehow placed the chapter-start master on TOP of the primary frame that is already in place on the document page, and if so, I probably would not have realized I had two text frames on the page. But I never noticed doing so, and even if I had and even if that worked without my realizing what I'd done, why has THAT circumstance changed?

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps use layers in your document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated ID recently to 2023 / v. 18?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @casinclaire,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance from us.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines