• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the IDML specification?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying madly to find any version of the IDML (XML) specification online. I've found many resources, both Adobe and third parties, that reference this URL:

https://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/indesign/sdk/cs6/idml/idml-specification.pdf

...but that now results in an error. For the life of me, after extensive searching, I cannot find any mirror of that document anywhere. It seems very strange, as it's supposed to be a public specification, and is used by several other software vendors. Past discussions also reference an 'IDML cookbook,' which may have also resided in the same place, but which is also now gone.

Can anyone from Adobe -- or otherwise -- try to find a current link?

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Hi @James Gifford—NitroPress @Laubender @Manan Joshi @Dirk Becker @John Labovitz ,

Thank you everyone for your patience. The team informed that “the IDML docs are part of the HTML documentation in the SDK- see InDesign SDK\docs\index.html. These used to be separate PDFs in the SDK around CS6 but were merged into the HTML docs sometime in the early CC days.

There is no IDML specification provided in the SDK but the schema can be generated from JavaScript for your current application status:

Re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Ok, so I located both the 2010 CS5 document (which is loaded with info) as well as the 2012 CS6 document (which has little real info in it). Therefore, the only available aging reference is the one from 2010 CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a version of the IDML Cookbook for CS6 at https://manualzz.com/doc/9627253/adobe-indesign-cs6-idml-cookbook (tested the link on a protected VM and it's legit). The reference to CS6 might be offputting, but one of my nightstand books is InDesign CS3/CS4 SDK Programming by Kris Coppieters and, despite its reference to CS3 and CS4 it is still highly relevant today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I appreciate the link.

Still, seems a little weird that the only existing copy is on the same shady website where I download manuals for, say, my refrigerator. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. I found this PDF online that has information on PDF File format specifications. Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the following

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.173.8853&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Though i could not find it on the Adobe website. Let me ask around to find the official latest version, i will post if I find it

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @John Labovitz ,

ah, yes, unfortunately all the official Adobe links posted in the thread I linked to below are not working anymore.

It seems that all the IDML documentation PDFs for version 8.0 (InDesign CS6) are withdrawn.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/where-can-download-idml-sdk-from-indesign-cc/m-p...

@Rishabh_Tiwari and @Manan Joshi ,

both of your links refer to IDML documentation 7.0 which is for InDesign CS5 from 2010.

The other links mentioned above were for version 8.0 ( InDesign CS6 ) from 2012.

If I have this right, after version 8.0 in 2012 the IDML documentation was never updated.

Not in PDF form, never was it available as web help.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for sharing your findings. Well you are right in your conclusions. I have shared this and other details with @Rishabh_Tiwari to communicate that to the InDesign engineering team.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Manan Joshi / @Laubender ,

I am in touch with the Engineering team and will share the details as soon as I hear from the team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

web.archive.org has both of them covered (tried 2018 snapshots).

A copy of the cookbook is also integrated in the InDesign Plugin SDK's html docs, available from https://developer.adobe.com downloads section ...

In there it also mentions the file format documentation, but that link is broken and again bumps to https://developer.adobe.com .

Btw, until CS6 the SDK also had schema files for the InDesign installation without custom plug-ins, where any later SDK only has an empty "references/idm-schema.zip" instead that nobody noticed. The cookbook mentions a way to produce the schema for your individual installation, haven't ever tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk,

ah, yes, there is app.generateIDMLSchema() with two arguments.

With that you can generate *.rnc files.

Either all information goes in one big IDMarkupLanguage.rnc file together with a small datatype.rnc file or you can create several smaller *.rnc files in a folder structure. A structure we will also see inside the container IDML file exported from InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @James Gifford—NitroPress @Laubender @Manan Joshi @Dirk Becker @John Labovitz ,

Thank you everyone for your patience. The team informed that “the IDML docs are part of the HTML documentation in the SDK- see InDesign SDK\docs\index.html. These used to be separate PDFs in the SDK around CS6 but were merged into the HTML docs sometime in the early CC days.

There is no IDML specification provided in the SDK but the schema can be generated from JavaScript for your current application status:

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for noting this! I figured the information had to be out there somewhere...

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no IDML specification provided in the SDK

Indeed.

That document is still mentioned by the latest 17.3 SDK, supposed to reside on the "InDesign developer documentation" web page (broken link, bottom right of the screen shot).

Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 20.03.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose there's any interest from Adobe in searching for the many internal references to the old (broken) IDML documentation, and updating them? It might make life easier for other folks who are looking for this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my question would be why this documentation was allowed to age out and then be removed. At a deep technical user level, it's extremely useful information, and on a par with things like the PDF, Postscript and PCL references.

I mean, it exists somewhere. Why is it not a user-accessible reference?

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so I located both the 2010 CS5 document (which is loaded with info) as well as the 2012 CS6 document (which has little real info in it). Therefore, the only available aging reference is the one from 2010 CS5.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines