• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

white overprint

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to print on cardboard in white and 2 other colors. Black, pantone, white. Each of these colors must be overprinted. I can't define white though. If I put a fifth white color rgb or cmyk and then overprint, on the sheet it disappears when I create the pdf. On the one hand I understand that overprinting white does not return anything, but we are talking about a fifth color so this approach does not make sense. Can anyone help me with this?
I tried creating a fifth color c1 m1 y1 k1 to see if it changed anything by assigning a minimum value for each channel, but this is not the solution. I would like to have on the pdf if I deselect the "white" channel the elements disappear as with the other colors and reappear when I reactivate it, but white always punctures my underlying layers and if I deselect it nothing happens--because it punctures the color layers.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Hi @stefanofe , This has been a long running problem with InDesign (and Illustrator). There is no color management for Spot color overprints or tints in either application, so for Spot color output where the inks might be opaque, like screen printing, you have to ignore the Overprint Preview and check the separations in Separation Preview.

Here my [Paper] swatch is set to simulate cardboard, and with OP turned on my White Spot fill is displaying as transparent, as is PANTONE 3514, which is wha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Note that for Separation Preview to work you need to have the Transparency Blend Space to be CMYK mode. CMYK 0,0,0,0 is not white but paper colour. If you have Overprint enabled then it is transparent (but it will warn you), note that Overprint is irrelevant in an RGB document.

In Separation Preview, you will see additional inks besides CMYK, and you can view then together or separately to analyse your work. I normally place opaque white, above other colours even if it will be printed first. This

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just create any spot swatch you want and tell the printer to sub it out with the white ink. But why are overprinting it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it's printing on brown cardboard, like for bulk product packaging. It's a PITA in many ways.

I agree, though, just create a spot color that's NOT a pure white, and define it so the plate exports with a WHITE label for the printer.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I overprint because I have to overprint! It has to cover the black too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want white to cover black? That's going to be one hell of a trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn’t be a problem with screen printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What colour is the card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brownbrown. But the color of the paper has no bearing on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind if you are creating a spot color that is white, with overprint applied, and is over top of another element, the PDF in Acrobat (Overprint Preview) will dislay this in a way that will make the white disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly this is the problem! But I turn to Adobe who is supposed to be the leader in the printing industry and they can't handle me an opaque white! And don't ask me to use cyan or another color! I say if I have an opaque white paint.... you have to know how to handle it: it is not a transparency: it is a color!
Photoshop was not born with transparency ... and now I can't handle spot colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking for a simple flag!!! You will understand what a great request!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly this. I tried, but I couldn't do it. c1 m1 y1 k1 - spot tint - overprint - and I have an empty channel. but I'm still trying. Anyway if I define as 5 color a white...why on earth do I have to assign values to the tints? This is a serious error by Adobe. The 5 color can also be a transparent lacquer!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both (some instances of) Black and (nearly all instances of) White are special cases in print graphics. It's inherent to assume that any use of white is meant to represent an absence of ink applied to (usually) white stock. I am not surprised you're getting stubbornly "normalized" results, and I'd bet there is no good ("official") way to bypass them.

Unless you are doing digital printing, where the color mix will be transferred directly to the printer — that is, assuming you're designing for plate and ink printing — just use a reasonable substitute color that the export system won't interpret as "white/blank" — something with enough defined tint to avoid that classification — and I suspect you'll have no further problems. It will be up to you to differentiate between a preview/proof image with white elements, and the export/RIP setup that will generate a proper "White" plate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. Instead, I say that the preview must follow my intention. If I say that a text is white in overprint ... the white is no longer the white of the paper, but of a pigment. But you have to explain to me the difference that there can be between a cyan 100 dye and white 100 for a software. I told you. a simple flag is enough! Just put it on though. The flag tells the software that I want an opaque tint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the world dictates brown paper and white printing... Adobe can't sleep!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one here is saying it's "correct" or even acceptable. But it is what it is, so (as with so may other very fringe situations in this complex field), you can apply a workaround and move on, or... go see if MS Publisher or Affinity Publisher does a better job for you. But snarling at other users who are here to help you through the problem isn't all that productive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chiedo scusa. Non ero arrabbiato con te e mi rendo conto di essere stato aggressivo involontariamente. Io mi domando come mai Adobe non sappia gestire questo. Voglio seguire il tuo consiglio e vedere se Affinity mi ascolta. Di solito sì. Però se lo fa, sono certo che Adobe non può solo prenderne atto, ma deve intervenire... direi con un semplicissimo flag sul bianco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stefanofe , This has been a long running problem with InDesign (and Illustrator). There is no color management for Spot color overprints or tints in either application, so for Spot color output where the inks might be opaque, like screen printing, you have to ignore the Overprint Preview and check the separations in Separation Preview.

Here my [Paper] swatch is set to simulate cardboard, and with OP turned on my White Spot fill is displaying as transparent, as is PANTONE 3514, which is what would happen on an offset press where process as well as Pantone inks are transparent:

Screen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 6.png

I have to check the Separation Preview for White Spot to confirm that with a separated output the fill is indeed overprinting

Screen Shot 7.png

Photoshop does have some crude color mangement for Spot Channels—you can set the solidity of the spot ink and dot gain for tints—so if a better, somewhat color managed, preview matters you could work in Photoshop. Here I have my Spot Channel Options Solidity set to 80%.

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Litho and letterpress inks are semi-transparent, so you can't print opaque white – you can print opaque white with the screen printing process and with white blocking but these processes are not normally suitable for packaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I told you. a simple flag is enough!

The feature request would be to add Photoshop’s Spot Channel Options Solidity setting to InDesign‘s Swatch Options when the Color Type is Spot.

There has been no ink opacity setting in InDesign, AI or Acrobat for over 20 years, so I’m guessing it won‘t happen, but I agree it would be a useful feature when the output can handle opaque inks, or for foil applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are times in graphic design that one may need to create a file to simulate the results of final intent, and then create a completely different file that would suffice the production needs of overprinting, proper color separation etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in some cases this is complex to achieve... I am in one of these cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a great feature request....

When the [Paper] color is redifined to match colored stock, allow a white spot color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, if this is just to get a proper visual preview as Jeffrey suggests, a second file with a colored background and white elements using [Paper] might suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines