Every time we are completing the current issue of our magazine we suffer from — as I call it — ‘the update numbering in the book’ bug.
Usually, we have enough time to check and fix the problems, but with the latest issue — the day before yesterday — things went a wrong way: at the last moment, I had to move pages in the book and update numbering. As the result, three images changed their position a little and PDF files went to the printers with the glitches unnoticed. I saw it but was thinking it was OK because in previous issues this was done intentionally: pics were moved over the spine on the opposite page a little — deliberately. Other coworkers who were working on these docs didn’t notice the change: most probably, they were too tired by the end of the working day.
Luckily, nothing terrible has happened: the RIP guys removed unnecessary pieces on the fly from the imposed PDF. But I would like to sort it out: why this happens and how to avoid it in the future.
Here, on my site, I wrote a detailed description of what happens illustrated with screenshots and included files for testing in case someone is willing to play with it.
Thank you in advance!
did a bug report at Adobe InDesign Uservoice:
Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa
Uwe Laubender, December 02, 2019
Please vote for fixing the bug. Thanks.
( ACP )
I am terribly sorry for the late reply! For months, I had no access to the e-mail account I was registered here on the forum so, after the forum software update, I didn't get any notifications about new replies.
Only today, I restored access to it and found out your reply.
Thank you very much for your scrupulous research!
To solve the problem I wrote a script which I run from my 'batch processor' against the active book twice:
I am going to share the script on my site.
I voted for your bug report.
Thank you a lot again!
thank you for voting to fix the bug!
However, I see that only 3 votes are done for now. So we will not see a fix in the near future, I think.
It took me a day or two to get all the details of the bug. Also did a script for internal use that is creating the yellow rectangles and some guides to visualize the "jump zones" of a facing-pages document.
( ACP )
I posted a tweet asking my followers — who are mostly script developers/users — to vote. Also, I just made a quick test: it doesn't happen with locked objects, but it does happen on locked layers. So, an alternative approach to solve this by the script would be the following:
thanks so much. What a cool discovery!
Locking all objects before adding or removing pages to a document is a fantastic workaround.
// WARNING: Here we do not bother if some items are already locked before // and should stay locked after unlocking all again: app.documents.pageItems.everyItem().locked = true;
The reverse, unlocking all items in the active document:
// WARNING: Here we do not bother if some items were already locked before // and should stay locked after unlocking all again: app.documents.pageItems.everyItem().locked = false;
( ACP )
PS: Totally missed your answer here. Just discovered it right now.