Can't get dot leaders aligned properly in INDD

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've put together a Table of Contents using InDesign's dot leader function, and the right indent feature (Type - Insert - Special Character - Other - Right Indent Tab). All the dots align properly on the right side, immediately before the page numbers. However, there is inconsistency with the spacing of the dots immediately following the text.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.01.53 AM.png

As you can see, some of the leader dots begin very close to the closing parentheses in the text, other have more space. 

How can I make this consistent?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a second tab. The first one (right align) will have dot leaders, the second one (also right align) won't. Note: these are right-align tabs, not right indent tabs. 

~Barb 

First right align tab with leaders:

1.png

Second right align tab without leaders:

2.png

Final with hidden characters hidden:

3.png

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tab leader dots line up with each other from line to line so the space before and after the leader can’t be consistent—if the dots line up something has to give on either end:

Screen Shot 4.png

If your preference is the have the before and after spaces be consistent, you can set a dotted underline to the Right Indent Tab. Here the before and after spacing is consistent, but the leader dots no longer line up vertically:

Screen Shot 5.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry—I was lining up the right side (which is the more common concern), but you are asking about the left.

The dots need to line up in columns (see how the right side of each dot is aligned with your ruler guide), so they start closer or further from the end of the text depending on the actual characters. Mine are only lining up because I used the same words four times. That's just how it works. 

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines