Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: DOCUMENT

Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

this post is thought as an advertisement for fixing a bug that I will report today at InDesign Uservoice.

As the title suggests I see a massive problem with the conversion function from endnotes to footnotes.

In this post I am concentrating on the menu dialog and not on the context menu when selecting text.

Let's start with my test document that contains 7 endnotes in one story:

00-EndnoteReferences.PNG

The endnote texts look like that:

00-EndnoteTexts.PNG

As you can see I tried different variants explained in my screenshot. Also things that can happen to endnote text like removing the separator character, removing the special character or adding text before the special character. There is even one endnote text where no text is there.

Here a view on the endnote text with the Story Editor:

00-EndnoteTexts-StoryEditor.PNG

Ok. Then I like to convert all my endnotes in the document to footnotes. With InDesign CC 2019 and 2020 there is a dialog for this in main menu Type. With my German InDesign 2020 this looks like that:

SCOPE-Document-AllEndnotesToFootnotes-WrongResult-1.PNG

Several things to note: The message says, that:

3 endnotes were converted successfully

2 endnotes could not be converted

Hm. In total that are 5 endnotes.

Wheras in my document were 7 endnotes before I converted endnotes to footnotes.

Obviously there is a bug. 2 of my endnotes were not recognized at all perhaps.

Let's look at the result. Hm. There are 5 footnotes now. And if you are looking very close at the result. the first 3 footnotes look ok. But footnote 4 and 5 are at the same position. And immediately after footnote 5 there is an endnote that should be removed. Seems that one footnote was doubled and one endnote for this footnote was not removed.

SCOPE-Document-AllEndnotesToFootnotes-WrongResult-2.PNG

I have no idea why the other two endnotes were not converted as well. Let's see into the remaining endnote texts:

SCOPE-Document-AllEndnotesToFootnotes-WrongResult-3.PNG

Four endnotes are left. In the second endnote text something has changed. Seems that a seperator character, a tab, was moved from its original position and was duplicated several times.

There are also other issues I can see with this conversion process: Manual style overrides did not make it to the footnote text. The footnote reference number adopted the formatting of the word where the endnote was originally attached to.

Below the download link to my test document and some of the screenshots:

200219-2-Endnote-to-Footnote-Issues-Scope-Document.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/savfuc1zn6p9d4u/200219-2-Endnote-to-Footnote-Issues-Scope-Document.zip?dl=...

Before discussing this further:

1. Let's concentrate on Convert Endnotes to Footnotes with Scope Document here.

I will add two similar threads with scope on Selection and Using the Context Menu because using both functions yield different issues.

1. I will add the link to my bug report on UserVoice in my next post here. Please vote for fixing the bugs.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Bug report is out. Please vote for fixing the bugs:

[ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: DOCUMENT
Uwe Laubender | February 20, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39755560--cc-2019-and-2...

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two corresponding threads with the same test document are:

[ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: SELECTION

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/cc-2019-and-2020-the-convert-endnotes-to-footnotes-disaster-...

[ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: SELECTION with CONTEXT MENU

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/cc-2019-and-2020-the-convert-endnotes-to-footnotes-disaster-...

FWIW: The best results for converting endnotes to footnotes is done with a text selection and the context menu.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines