Highlighted

ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in books" error message when trying to upload ePub with iTunes Producer

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error when trying to submit an ePub through iTunes Producer:

ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in books"

I don't have any photos over 4 million pixels. Help?

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in books" error message when trying to upload ePub with iTunes Producer

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error when trying to submit an ePub through iTunes Producer:

ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in books"

I don't have any photos over 4 million pixels. Help?

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear abbeyx3

I received the same error message and after reading other comments online, I realized that I had checked the box that asks if you want to rasterize the first page of your epub for use as the cover image.  When I went into the export dialog and unchecked that box, the book went through without problems.  I had also included a separate cover image through iTunes Producer, so I think iTunes was seeing two cover images and the one that Adobe delivered as rasterized was probably over the 4,000,000 limit -- you just don't see it in your image links or think of it as an image, so you can't locate it -- I hope this helps.

Small Town Gal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Small Town Gal

Thanks! I hv this problem with that cryptic message. Will try your tip as I had ticked "Rasterize the first page..." too. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Check the dimensions of your mages.

For example, an images that's 1750px x 2500px would be 4,375,000px and therefore be rejected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek,

I did check all of my images and they were properly cropped except for the pdf file which I changed over to .png and sized to the appropriate dimensions.  After checking all of the images and not finding any other ones that were not sized to appropriate dimensions, it finally dawned on me that the rasterized cover image that I had included was causing the problem and could not even be seen among the images that I was checking.  Getting rid of that rasterized image in the export finally cleared up the error problem -- hooray -- and it might also be abbeyx3's problem.

Small Town Gal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the very same error code. Very annoying, indeed. My solution was to open the epub-file and resize some .png files which indeed were larger then 4 megapixel, and then re-package the files to .epub again.

My Step-by-step solution

1 - Crack open the .epub-file (using eCanCrusher) and look inside the "OEPBS > image" folder and find the images which are larger than 4 million pixels (for example 4267x2739 pixels).

2 - Downsize them in Photoshop to 2048 px width, and replace the orginals.

3 - Pack the folder into an .epub again with eCanCrusher.

4 - Open in iBooks and check the e-book.

4 - Validate the file using EPUB-Checker.

I found a lot of huge .png files which were automatically generated from inDesign CC 2015 during the EPUB3 Fixed layout export. In the inDesign-document they originated from semi-transparent background plates. I have absolutely no idea why inDesign generates such massive pixel sized images, even when the .indd-document is set up as iPad 1024*768 px. I cannot se any need for images larger than 2048*1536 px. (well except for 2732-by-2048 for iPad Pro). Must be a bug in the conversion algorithms going from inDesign-layout to html5/CCS3-code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this post. It saved me a lot of headaches and I only had to suffer anguish for one day. After countless error message yesterday, I was able to get my sample book uploaded this morning to IT Producer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for documenting this. Quite unbelievable that Adobe is not acting upon this obvious bug!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried many things, but what eventually worked was to change the resolution output from 300 dpi to 150dpi, which reduced the whole file size considerably.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an "interesting" feature in ID, in which it creates a rectangular image file (png) for each text box.  If the text box has a visible border and fill, ID creates this png file with those colors.  If the text box has no border and no fill, ID creates a transparent image.  To me, this makes no sense, but there it is.

When ID creates its png file for a text box, it increases the size of the box in pixels.  Then, when the relevant page calls upon this image, it reduces the size, thereby making it the original size.  Sort of...  Increasing the size, say from 72ppi to 150ppi, creates an image that usually has a non-integral height and width. ID rounds these to the nearest pixel.  Reducing the size for display (from 150 to 72) therefore produces an image that is not the same as the original.  This doesn't matter much for transparent images, but does for those with borders and fills.  Sometimes, the right or bottom border cannot be shown (placement is measured from the top left).

The increase in image size, at least in my epub that is currently driving me crazy, creates a transparent png file of 3967 × 2931 pixels for the main text box of every page.  These images are above the 4 Mpx limit, and cannot be uploaded to the iBookstore.  It is possible to unzip the epub, and edit the xhtml of every page by simply deleting the <div> ... </div> segments that call for these transparent images.  Doing so has no effect on the display of the page.  I suspect that deleting the call for the image must be accompanied by deleting the png file from the image folder as well as deleting the reference to the file from the manifest.  This is a pretty silly workaround for a problem that should not exist, but we may be stuck with it until Adobe fixes this bug.

A side note: when I create a test ID document with a simple format, ID does not always create this huge transparent image for the main text box.  But when I set the text box to produce 2 columns, as I have for my book, then ID feels compelled to create these transparent images and call for them twice on each page.

A plea to Adobe: please teach ID not to create transparent images that seem to be entirely unnecessary in the final epub!  This is giving us all headaches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have:

1. deleted all transparent images references from the manifest

2. deleted all the transparent images from teh images folder

3. deleted all <div...</div> for transparent images in the xhtml

However, if I use ecan crusher to re-package my ePub and then upload that to iTunes Connect, there's a whole other host of issues that never show up in my original, exported from InDesign to e-pub. Also, the ecan crusher file is twice the size and my original was already 500M. Any other, cleaner repackaging options out there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you buy a month's worth of Flightdeck validation to see what's going on: https://www.ebookflightdeck.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo Jose,

Thank you for your detailed information re this problem.

I have spent 8 years working on an interactive e-book, using Adobe Indesign, photoshop and Audition.

I am very happy with the final book, it is finished and looks and sounds wonderful.

I assumed my work was finished, until I encountered the same problem you describe, when I attempted to upload my fixed layout EPUB to ibooks.

I have been receiving the same error messages that tell me I have images over 4 million pixels in size.

I have taken apart my indesign document and re-made it from the beginning and have spent months trying to solve this problem!

I assumed it was my own mistake, so I made alot of effort to resize every image and element in my indesign document.

I had assumed the error was within ibooks and apple producer, but now I know it is a problem within Adobe's Indesign.

This is so frustrating! Especially as Adobe forces me to pay a high subscription fee per year to use the software.

Anyway, it is generally wonderful software, and the creative freedom Adobe gives me is absolutely brilliant.

I am hoping to follow the information on here and - fingers crossed - finally publish my e-book.

I just wanted to say thank you again for taking the time to explain what this problem is within indesign.

Best Regards,

Damien

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to test your ebook try exporting it to Publish Online to see how its interactively plays.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines