• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 saving files in a different folder from where I originally opened the file

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the 2021 update, instead of overwrite the file, it saves inside the folder from the job I was working before, how can I change this? I don't want to have to everytime I go save the file find the correct folder to save...

You know what I mean?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020
Community Expert , Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

It's fixed in the latest update!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I just checked this on my Windows machine and it is working as expected. Could you please confirm which operating system you are working on? 

Does resetting InDesign Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html) help to resolve the issue?

Please note that all the custom settings would reset too. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, let me try to explain better:

I'm working on file A that is located inside folder A, I save the file and move to work in the file B that is already saved inside folder B.

When I do Ctrl + S to save the file, he opens the folder A instead of just save over himself (File B in that case).

I'm using windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Srishti,

Just an FYI that at the reset preferences link there is a bad link to a PDF by Mike Witherell:

"Mike Witherell provides a detailed list of which files are affected when you restore preferences in Adobe InDesign Presets (PDF, English only)."

Sorry, don't know how else to report this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen with files the first time they are opened in the new version? If I am remembering correctly, this is always the case upon first opening an old file, but the problem does not persist with subsequent save-as or exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s possible to script an overwrite of a converted file (any file opened from and earlier InDesign version). For an AppleScript see this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/convert-indd-cc2015-to-indd-2020-without-resave/td-p/1150672...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems it is a known bug and is being investigated by the Adobe Engineering team. See the issue reported here. Do upvote the issue to make this a priority fix.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation. 

Please upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41695588-indesign-16-0-...) and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always been able to "save" and the document saves directly to the folder it was already located in. Now with the new InDesign 2021 - on hitting 'save' it's defaulting to the last location any file was saved, rather than the specific folder the document was located in. Can anyone tell me how to change this preference please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems it is a known bug and is being investigated by the Adobe Engineering team. See the issue reported here. Do upvote the issue to make this a priority fix.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign 2020 when saving an older version it always showed the folder from where I opened it.

In InDesign 2021 it goes to the folder, that I have recent activity in.

How do I change that? 
It will save me a lot of time not having to look for the original folder.

I usually open files from Finder.

I use "save" on the converted old file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please confirm which operating system you are working on? 

Does resetting InDesign Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html) help to resolve the issue?

Please note that all the custom settings would reset too. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that did not help.
I still have to look for the original folder when saving.

I work on Mac and have IOS Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming and I'm sorry to hear about this. 

I've passed on the info to the engineers and they're looking into this. I'll update you when I hear from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It is so frustrating and timeconsuming.

I hope for a quick update 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena

Any news from the engineers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is still investigating the bug. 

I'd suggest following the UserVoice link as posted above for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue - working on a Mac. I'm going back to 2020 as this is unusable in 2021 wasting hours a day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Mojave. I am really regretting this upgrade. Wasted time and duplicate files as a result. Now I am having to use Bridge to search for paths and locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Would like this bug fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On InDesign UserVoice, it's reported that this issue is fixed in the 16.0.1 update posted 12/1/20. Please update InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the v16 upgrade, every "Save" defaults to the directory where the the last "Save" was made. This is the result of the files I am opening being created in an older version of InDesign.
Is there a way to make the application save to the same directory where the document was opened from, so I do not have to navigate to the current working directory every time I save a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines