Highlighted

InDesign crashing/lagging while running with Time Machine

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac (latest OS), in the last three versions of Indesign, we continue to experience constant crashing (or beachballing at any random moment making progress exceptionally slow) when apple Time Machine runs. Obviously we solve this by turning time machine off, but this means that its a fight for when to back up the mac and when to work in indesign. Is there a fix, a work around which allows Time Machine to run at the same time? 

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign crashing/lagging while running with Time Machine

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac (latest OS), in the last three versions of Indesign, we continue to experience constant crashing (or beachballing at any random moment making progress exceptionally slow) when apple Time Machine runs. Obviously we solve this by turning time machine off, but this means that its a fight for when to back up the mac and when to work in indesign. Is there a fix, a work around which allows Time Machine to run at the same time? 

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need to provide some system information—system version number, what kind of Mac, system memory, other applications running, etc. It sound like a computer with limited RAM. I don't use Time Machine (I use Carbon Copy Cloner), but with 16 Gb of RAM, I never have a problem running a backup while I have InDesign open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, Thanks for helping... One computer is a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with 16gb of RAM, (only safari, mail and font explorer x pro 7) The second is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 with 32gb RAM and the Third is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 with 32gb RAM all running MacOS Mojave. (both the last two are running the same apps when indesign is open). They all do the same thing, periodic (upon non specific mouse moves) a spinning beach ball, but when Time Machine is turned off the beachballing stops.. Its been doing this since upgrading to creative cloud from creative suite... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might direct this at the Apple forums. It sounds like something related to Time Machine, not to InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect its somewhere twixt the two, as time machine doesnt cause any other indesign software to beachball, only indesign. So hopefully there is an answer within the Indesign world. As the apple world directed me to the Indesign forum.. As its so specifically Indesign related. Hope someone can help 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a persistent problem for me for years. Beachballing everytime I open InDesign when Time Machine is running. Very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, im still waiting for a possible solution, its clearly a clash in indesign. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual behavior of the app. Would you mind sharing the version of InDesign and macOS?
Also, at what interval Time Machine creates backup?

I'd also request creating a new user account on your mac(https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac) and try running InDesign there to see if you still have the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using macOS 10.15.4 and InDesign 15.0.2

Backups set to hourly

Problem persists across all user accounts… already tried that.

How software costing this much can be allowed to have a persistent problem like this unresolved is a disgrace.

Craig

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into it, it hasnt been unusual on my systems...Multiple users, on multiple computers. All have the issue... One computer is a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with 16gb of RAM (high sierra) , The second is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 with 32gb RAM and the Third is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 with 32gb RAM both running MacOS Mojave. (all with 15.0.2 indesign) (both the last two are running the same apps when indesign is open). They all do the same thing, periodic (upon non specific mouse moves) a spinning beach ball, but when Time Machine is turned off the beachballing stops..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this? I am also experiencing this (beachballing, not crashing as far as I remember) on a regular basis and it makes working with InDesign almost impossible when Time Machine is running. I am also noticing that no other (Adobe or otherwise) programs are showing this behavior. I have been waiting for every (app or OS) update to fix this but so far no improvement.

Indesign 15.0.3

OS X 10.15.5

Mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina

Time Machine set to hourly backups

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines