Highlighted

InDesign won't recognize PNG files, can't "Place"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a document about a month ago, a catalog, and placed PNG image files into image boxes for the layout. I opened the file back up today to do some edits and all the sudden InDesign tells me I have broken links. I investigate further to find that the images are located where they are supposed. I tried to "re-place" the png files into the boxes but InDesign doesn't recognize it and won't allow me to place it.

For reference, I also tried to open in PS but it doesn't recognize it either, so I'm sure it's a file issue.

Has anyone run across this and can you advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign won't recognize PNG files, can't "Place"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a document about a month ago, a catalog, and placed PNG image files into image boxes for the layout. I opened the file back up today to do some edits and all the sudden InDesign tells me I have broken links. I investigate further to find that the images are located where they are supposed. I tried to "re-place" the png files into the boxes but InDesign doesn't recognize it and won't allow me to place it.

For reference, I also tried to open in PS but it doesn't recognize it either, so I'm sure it's a file issue.

Has anyone run across this and can you advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like those files are corrupt. Without a lot more info, it’s impossible to tell.

What version of InDesign? What operating system and where are those PNG files stored?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are just placed in a folder on my desktop for now. Some images it picks up fine, others not. I'm on InDesign CC 14.0.1 on MacOS.

I just created new images in that same folder, it's immediately doing the same thing with some of those images but some are fine. A lot of these images I get need to be cropped or other adjustments, so I'll make those adjustments in PS and then resave the files, then place them in InDesign. It works fine the first time but when you reopen InDesign it says there is a broken link.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do all of the PNG files have the .png file suffix at the end of their names?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found a workaround but it's not ideal:

1) Open the .jpeg file

2) Make the adjustments and save as a .png file in folder location

3) Save the file again as a copy .png file in that same folder location

It will then recognize the copy version, but if I do it in any other order it doesn't work........

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Is it happening with all the files or some specific PNGs? Would you mind sharing a sample file, so that we can test it at our end?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a problem as the Creative Cloud software upgrades. I am trying to pen an older design file with multiple links to package and send a client. It will not let me package stating the "png" files are invalid, but most are PSD files. I have tried replacing all files, and it won't let me place several of them, though they are in the same folder they were originally in and are not corrupt, etc. Super frustrated and on a time crunch. Any resolve for this issue? Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
rob day LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not let me package stating the "png" files are invalid

Can you share one of the problem PNGs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you choose PNG? If it comes from Photoshop, use PSD instead, if it comes from Illustrator, use AI or PDF instead. I don't see any advantage to use PNG and there are some other reasons I would avoid PNGs in InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines