• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outlook interferes with InDesign Keyboard shortcuts

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My shift, option, etc keyboard shortcuts stopped working in InD.

after some googling, i found that other apps keyboard prefs could be the problem.

process of elimination - its Outlook - when outlook is off, the shortcuts in InD work fine - when outlook is on, they dont work.

So I found the conflict, but i dont know how to fix it...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joining in to add that this has also been a problem for me for months. I have to restart my iMac multiple times a day to return these hotkey functionalities. I can't use Option to copy objects, I can't use Command+Option+Shift to resize frames, Shift doesn't resize proportionately nor does it move objects in a straight line, all these things that are very important to my workflow stop working for unknown reasons when I have Microsoft applications open. It doesn't immediately stop working once I open Outlook or Teams, I can usually use InDesign for a while before the hotkeys stop working, but those programs along with Slack, Chrome or Firefox, and other Adobe programs (Ai, Ps) are the only other applications I typically have open while using InDesign. Once it happens I can't reverse it without restarting my computer, ie I can't close Outlook or Teams to make the hotkeys work, I have to restart my entire computer to get this functionality back. 

I HAVE to have Outlook and Teams running while I work to be in contact with my coworkers, this has never been a problem before until the last 5 or 6 months. I don't have the option to just not use them. I don't know why 3rd party apps are interfering with Adobe's hotkey functionality in the first place.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign, I've tried using an older version of InDesign, I've completely removed all preferences from InDesign, I just can't seem to find a solution. Ive seen people having this problem for as far back as 2019, was hoping there would be a fix by now.

iMac is a 2019 27in currently running macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3 (although this issue was still occuring in the previous Catalina OS)
InDesign 2021 Version 16.1 (I had also tried 15.1.3)

Would love a solution to this issue! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just add that I'm having the resizing issues as well however I don't have any microsoft software installed on my Mac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I'm having the same trouble I'm starting to lose my patience...

I don't have any microsoft software either or any security app like some people may say. Also, I try to start Id without any other application and the command still doesn't work.... arrrg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain! I ended up shutting my computer down and restarting it and it seems to have resolved itself for now...

See if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was suggested in an old thread that this might be a preferences issue and replacing the prefs may help. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-keyboard-shortcuts-not-working-with-os-big-sur/td-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter Spier, thanks for your response! That's a thread I came across a while ago when trying to debunk this issue. I had deleted my preferences before and the issue was not resolved, but I can try again. Can't hurt right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly can't hurt. Back up the prefs files first in case it doesn't help so you can restore what you have now (you'll lose your customizations when you replace the prefs).

If it does help, make a clean copy of the new prefs files after you re-do the customizations, then you can just copy those the next time you need to do a refresh and save the hassle of resetting everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier I followed the instructions again and made sure all those preferences were removed, I even restarted my computer before launching InDesign, and I was excited because for several hours it seemed like I was in the clear.

But somehow in the last 20min or so, these hotkey functions suddenly stopped working again 😞 Same issue as before. I didn't save any preferences or reload old ones, I left it as is and just rearranged some windows. I quite and relaunched InDesign, but no luck. The only way I can restore the hotkey functionality is by restarting my computer, and hope I can get a few hours of use out of the program before it bugs out again and I have to shut everything down. Super bummed! Thought it would work this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably a conflict with another program that you launched after using ID for a time. Possibly a browser extension, or you could be right and it's Outlook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier I can't think of anything I did that was "out of the ordinary" that would conflict, and the only browser extension I have is Honey, but I've had that as far back as 2019 and I can't see how a coupon finder would mess up hotkey functionality in one program when it's a mostly passive extension. It's just crazy to me that Adobe programs are susceptible to interference from 3rd party applications or extensions at all. The only other applications besides Adobe that I usually have open while working are Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Calendar, Chrome, Firefox, and Slack. Maybe Text Editor and Spotify on occasion. This is my work computer so I don't have much in the way of personal programs. 

Thanks anyway at least! Hopefully this issue gets in front of the eyes of some Adobe Admins finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, yesterday I spent almost 4 hours online with a guy from Adobe, we tested so much things like uninstall absolutely everything and reinstall, reboot many times, turn off all applications that could interfere, clear the cache... Uninstalling worked the rest of the day. But this morning, I turn on my computer and it's the same thing again. I don't understand at all. I'm desperate.

Most importantly, I recently formatted my computer, it's all clean logically. It's unbearable.

Let me know if you find something!

Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've got some news. It turns out that for me, it is my password panager that interferes with Indesign. I don't really understand why but so be it! I deactivated the automatic opening of the application and I have no more worries!

Have a good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

password manager*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines