Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos blurry in InDesign (BRANCHED)

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  Here are the details:

1. The original file for the blurry graphic is a vector. The link is current.

2. The document is 180mm x 80mm at 300ppi (~118ppc)

3. When zoomed in super close, the file is clear

4. When zoomed in 100% it is blurry

5. Settings:

* Display performance settings are all set to high or highest quality

* Preserve object level display settings is Unchecked

* Transparency flattener presets is set for highest quality (not that it should matter)

6. My computer specs are not the best (OptiPlex 7040 w/32G-RAM, SSD, i7 3.4GHz & AMD Radeon R5 340X)  The graphics card might be the bottleneck.

7. The file prints super crisp and clear--even more clear than when zoomed in within InDesign.

Any ideas?jean-michaelt81400308

Peter Spier​ DMS Foto Dude​ jean-michaelt81400308​ BobLevine​

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your one and two points contradict each other. It can't be vector AND have a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is exported at 300ppi  Yes, the vector does not have a resolution.  I don't think I listed a resolution for the graphic, only that it was a vector so people would know that inadequate resolution shouldn't be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you exporting to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting to PDF for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that all output you view on a screen has been converted to pixels, and your screen has a fixed resolution. As you zoom in the same area of the screen is showing a smaller part of the image, thereby increasing the "effective" resolution of the image on the screen and smoothing it. Zooming out has the opposite effect, increasing jagginess and dropping detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I was wondering if my screen resolution or graphic card could be a bottleneck.  What leads me to think that is not the issue, is that when viewing documents in Photoshop and other programs, I do not have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine  wrote

Your one and two points contradict each other. It can't be vector AND have a resolution.

Ok.

A bit off-topic but related:

I could imagine a hybrid. A vector shape that is filled with an image. It may be monochrome, that image, so you first think the vector shape has an ordinary fill, but not so. Indeed, InDesign is able to export constructs like that when using transparency effects on text. Prepress preflight would detect the image, would perhaps tell that resolution is too low, but effectively it would not matter, because the vector shapes the image.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines