Highlighted

Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.  I'm working on a multipage document in InDesign and I want to bring in a multipage PDF document into that InDesign document.  For some reason, when I do File>Place, it brings in the first page of the PDF (with perfect formatting) but the other pages do not come in.  Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

Correct answer by aafrempong | Community Beginner

To place multiple pages in Indesign effortlessly

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and first page. (Do not mix up the number 

of pages and the first page boxes). Also if you want single pages, uncheck the facing pages and   

check the single page (make sure only one of these is checked)

Step 2: From Window (on the Tools Bar) go to Utilities>>Scripts

Step 3: In the appearing panel,Click Applications> then scripts>>then javascripts.

Step 4: Under javascripts scroll down to "placemultiplePDFpages and double-click it.

Step 5: In the appearing "choose File box" search for the pdf you want to place in Indesign and clck open.   

You will see a message"place pdf in new document. Click OK, Followed by another OK( message

Indesign document) and relax to enjoy watching the placement being done for you automatically. 

You do not have even have to touch the mouse.

Topics

How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.  I'm working on a multipage document in InDesign and I want to bring in a multipage PDF document into that InDesign document.  For some reason, when I do File>Place, it brings in the first page of the PDF (with perfect formatting) but the other pages do not come in.  Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

Correct answer by aafrempong | Community Beginner

To place multiple pages in Indesign effortlessly

Step 1: Go to file>>New>>Document, Fill in the number of pages and first page. (Do not mix up the number 

of pages and the first page boxes). Also if you want single pages, uncheck the facing pages and   

check the single page (make sure only one of these is checked)

Step 2: From Window (on the Tools Bar) go to Utilities>>Scripts

Step 3: In the appearing panel,Click Applications> then scripts>>then javascripts.

Step 4: Under javascripts scroll down to "placemultiplePDFpages and double-click it.

Step 5: In the appearing "choose File box" search for the pdf you want to place in Indesign and clck open.   

You will see a message"place pdf in new document. Click OK, Followed by another OK( message

Indesign document) and relax to enjoy watching the placement being done for you automatically. 

You do not have even have to touch the mouse.

Topics

How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you choose File > Place, in the Place dialog box, check Choose Import Options. Then you'll be presented with a screen where you can choose the pages to place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the solution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GArshamA wrote:

[...]   Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

No, there is no such option. Steve's suggestion does pop up a dialog so you can select page 2, page 3, etc. -- and even "all" -- but InDesign does not create the pages for you, as it does with text.

Use Scott Zanelli's script for this: http://indesignsecrets.com/zanelli-releases-multipageimporter-for-importing-both-pdf-and-indd-files....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there IS such an optionScreen shot 2012-03-22 at 3.11.37 PM.jpgScreen shot 2012-03-22 at 3.11.13 PM.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the OP's question:

Is there some other setting that I'm missing to capture all pages of the PDF to transfer into the same number of pages in my InDesign document?

(my emphasis). Now please point out where you see that option in the dialog ...

Scott's script is the best way to do this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can load your cursor with All Pages as shows above by tman, then just click to place... either in a frame or to margins (depends what you're doing I guess). Make sure you have set frame fitting options first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this question has been discussed to death on this forum... search the forum.

G

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no way to bring all pages in at one time or do I need to click 69 times if there are 69 pages?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a link to a script in response #2. Use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines