Highlighted

Print/Export book as spreads

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to make a InDesign book print or pdf as spreads. But the last page of an document/chapter and the first page of the next document/chapter are always single pages! Therefore many dtp-ers choose not to use the InDesign book option, but make the complete book in one document.

I would love to send my complete InDesign book as pdf in spreads for email review. Please let the first and last page of the book documents be exported as spreads, as if it was made in one document.
TOPICS
How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Print/Export book as spreads

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to make a InDesign book print or pdf as spreads. But the last page of an document/chapter and the first page of the next document/chapter are always single pages! Therefore many dtp-ers choose not to use the InDesign book option, but make the complete book in one document.

I would love to send my complete InDesign book as pdf in spreads for email review. Please let the first and last page of the book documents be exported as spreads, as if it was made in one document.
TOPICS
How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 29, 2009 2
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know you can set the default view in Acrobat so your readers see an individual page layout as spreads when they open it, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter
"When they open it right..."
Tried it but they did not open it right and they had difficulties printing it as spreads. I learned never to make it difficult for an costumer. But i am curious to hear from you how to do this right...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat, File > Document Properties > Initial View tab. Set the view to two-up facing pages and set whatever magnification you want them to have when the file opens, then save. Users can change this on their end after they open the file, but it will open however you set it.

You didn't mention you originally that you want them to print the spreads on their end. That's a problem, since Acrobat doesn't have that option. For the time being, if you need them to have printable spreads you need to get things into a single document. One way to do this is to export the book to PDF, then open a new ID document and use the script to place the PDF into multiple pages, then export that as spreads. It's not terribly convenient, but it's not too onerous, either, with a script.

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2009 0
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to save my doc as a PDF but InDesign doesnt' give me the option. It is grayed out

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter thanks for your info Will look for that script (or do you know a script that can do this). Hopefully in the nearby future the complete book as a spread (Export Book option) will be a new feature in InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PlaceMultiplePagePDF.jsx is one of the sample scripts that should have been installed by default. :)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2009 0