Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Blank thumbnails showing up in All Photographs only

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ligthroom Classic 7.5 Windows10 32 gig of memory

All Photos is showing 4 gray thumbs that I can't delete. The thumbs are not in my folders, which shows a count of 4 fewer photos than all photos does. When I try to delete the 4 empty thumbs it prompts this error message: an internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value). Also, the thumbs show no metadata, and a right click to locate in the folder in library returns no results.
I have disabled all plugins, no change, synchronize photos, no change, find missing photos, no change. I searched the forum, and the web andhave not found a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Bob

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the extension to PIZ
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help !
Now my catalog is free of ghost images.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

From this description, I may have the same issue with LrC 9.3. I captured individual frames from an After Effects composition. I saved the PSD from After Effects to a folder on my HDD. I opened LrC and added the images to my catalogue (they were visible in the import dialogue window).

In the Grid view, the images are all white. In the Develop module, I can see the image as expected and the preview updates in the bottom preview panel for the open image (the other images in the folder stay white).

If I scroll along the bottom panel while in the Develop module (using the arrow keys), the previews appear for the currently selected image and the preview remains for the previously selected image. But once I arrow over to the fourth image in the bottom panel, the first preview reverts back to white again, I can only have three previews visible at one time.

I can develop these in LrC and I can open them in Ps. However, after editing in Ps and saved to disk, the image continues to appear white in LrC.

I have created and deleted Smart Previews, 1:1 previews, and standard-sized previews, none of which have made the images visible in LrC. I have tried synchronizing folder and scanning for metadata updates, but LrC cannot display the changes made in Ps unless I change to the develop module to see the changes made in Ps.

If I open a PSD as a Smart Object in Ps and then save, the new "copy" is visible in LrC. If I open a copy in Ps and then save, the copy is visible in LrC. So there seems to be an issue with the preview in the original PSD and LrC cannot display the preview in Grid view.

System: Mac Pro (2019) OS 10.15.6, 96MB Ram.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Library Module view the image in Loupe view [ E ]  Zoom in to 3:1 on one of these images and then zoom back to fit.  Does that cure the problem for that image?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I really wasn't expecting such a quick response and so, since I discovered I could correct the problem by opening copies in Ps and saving them, I did that for the forty files and I trashed the original files with the preview problem so I could get back to work. After seeing this post, I tried dragging a couple out of the trash and added them back into LrC to try to answer your question. However, after coming back from the trash, the previews work now.

So I will be doing more of these captures from After Effects and if I encounter this issue again, I'll try your suggestion and report the outcome here. Thank you very much for your reply and help. Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the toothache that goes away when you walk into the dentist's office, do you think I could recreate this issue? I duplicated the exact same steps today and the previews work in LrC. Now, the difference could be how I structured the After Effects composition. Today's was a lot simpler so I am considering that maybe additional layers in the previous project could have somehow created the issue. If I experience this again, I'll post here to update the topic. Thank you very much. Have a great day, Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I cannot get my zip file from my mac to load on Creative cloud. I changed the extension to PIZ and it will still not accept it.

Thanks 

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a Smart Collection called Not in Collections where the Collection doesn't contain "a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z '

and Capture Date is in this year. It is show photos like below:

undefined

How can I find out which images are doing that?

Windows 10 latest version of LR Classic on the Photography plan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of empty spaces in my all photos grid view. there are no photos in these spots either in the cat or on my external. i need to delete these spaces from my catalog? i can not finf help for this issue anywere?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you try to "show in finder" on an empty space?
Are there exclamation marks on these empty spaces?

Do you see question marks on folders in the folder panel?

Did you delete or move images from within finder?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it shows nothing in finder

threre are no question marks

i am so lost thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a full-resolution screenshot of the entire LR window -- that could provide important clues without playing 20 question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i show in finder it says there is annimternal error

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 11.36.47 AM.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Note that there is no metadata showing for the selected thumbnail in the Metadata panel. I think you've tripped over the "zombie thumbnail" bug that was reported by Adobe as fixed in LR 9:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-blank-thumbnails-showing-up-in-all-photograp...

Two suggested next steps:

- Send a private message to @Rikk Flohr: Photography asking if Adobe engineering can fix the catalog.

- Make a new catalog by exporting all but the zombie thumbnails -- this worked for some people in the past:

a. Go to All Photographs.

b. Do the menu command Photo  > Stacking > Expand All Stacks. 

c. Select all the photos and deselect the "zombie" thumbnails. 

d. Do File > Export As Catalog with these options:

johnrellis_0-1645986714765.png

Votes

Translate

Translate