P: Color problems with slideshows in Lightroom 5

5 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem:

A client uses a MacBook Pro, an Epson 77c projector, and Lightroom to show slideshows using the slideshow module of Lightroom. In Lightroom 5.0, the reds and oranges of the slides when shown on the projector are over-saturated - but *only* when using the Slideshow module. This is a new problem since upgrading to Lightroom 5.0.

Additional details:

* I have created a calibrated display profile for the projector (using a Spyder 4 Elite) and made sure that the Mac is set to use the proper calibration for the projector in the Displays pane of System Preferences.

* Even if I select a different (incorrect) calibration for the projector, such as the generic sRGB one provided by Mac OS X, the problem persists (although of course the colors in the photos look worse in general, too).

* As I said, this is a new problem with Lightroom 5. With the exact same setup and photos in Lightroom 4, I do not see the problem.

* The oversaturation only happens with the slideshow module displayed on the projector. It does not happen if the very same photos are displayed on the projector using loupe mode or Lightroom 5's new fullscreen mode in the Library module.

* The problem only happens with the projector. If I display the very same photos using slideshow on the MacBook Pro's built-in screen, the photos look fine. I hooked the MacBook Pro up to an external monitor (a Dell UltraSharp U2412M), configured things to be exactly the same as they were when I used the projector, and did not see the problem.

* The photo files in question are RAW photos from a Nikon D7000 and/or D90 (saw it with photos from both cameras).

* I tried several slideshow presets - including the built-in ones - and saw the same behavior with all of them.

* Typically the MacBook Pro is setup to mirror the display to the projector (so, the same thing appears on both screens). I did try setting up the projector as a second screen and used Lightroom's second window feature to run the slideshow on the projector, with the same result.

* The MacBook Pro is running Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015
There were a couple of minor tweaks to this in Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014
This should be better with the 5.4 update that was released last night. Launch Lightroom and select Help>Check for Updates... to install the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to see this problem with Lightroom 5.2, exactly as described above.

From looking around here and the discussion forums, I see that at least a few other people have similar problems with Lightroom 5.

Is there any chance Adobe plans to investigate or address this?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue with my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop.

I shoot weddings and, whenever possible, I produce an on-the-day highlights slideshow of the couples images for display during the evening festivities. I started doing this when I was using Lightroom 4 and had no issues at all, but since upgrading to Lightroom 5 (and, subsequently, 5.2) all the images are grossly over-saturated when I switch to the Slideshow module.

*** To clarify, images look fine if I'm just in the Slideshow module - it's when I PLAY the slideshow that things go to pot ***

My only solution so far has been to manually reduce the red/orange saturation of the images before starting the slideshow. This, in an already time constrained working situation, is a major pain in the a** and means that I have to re-apply the red/orange saturation afterwards to provide colour-accurate digital files for the clients discs.

I've also tried testing this with a secondary external monitor attached (in 'extended desktop' mode). Images appear to display fine if the slideshow is sent to the 2nd monitor. However - and this is where it gets really bizarre - if I then change the O/S settings to 'duplicate desktop' the images appear fine on the laptop screen, but are over saturated on the 2nd screen!

I was hoping for this to be resolved in 5.2, but I guess I'll have to wait for Adobe to actually acknowledge the problem first...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Boyd said:

*** To clarify, images look fine if I'm just in the Slideshow module - it's when I PLAY the slideshow that things go to pot ***

That's a clarification I should have made - I too also only see the oversaturated reds and oranges when I play the slideshow.

Thanks for adding your voice to this, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I've my MacBook Pro but how to download photoshop software like Lightroom & CS6 ??...Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2013 Nov 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same problem with my Lightroom 5.2. I have got a HP LP2475w monitor calibrated with Spyder Pro 3. Everything looks fine until I run the slideshow: colors are weird (less saturated, color shift to the green).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the one hand, I am no longer seeing the over-saturated reds and oranges when playing a slideshow in Lightroom 5.3 .

On the other hand, it has been replaced by an even worse problem - all colors look desaturated / washed out when playing a slideshow, on all displays, not just the Epson 77c projector.

I experienced the new problem on the built-in display of two different model MacBook Pros; when the MacBook Pros were hooked up to the Epson projector; and also on a Mac Pro with an Apple Cinema HD display. The problem happens in both Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Mac OS X 10.8.5.

As before, the colors look fine in Library, Loupe, Full Screen Preview, and even in the Slideshow module while editing Slideshow settings; colors just go bad when you play the slideshow in Lightroom 5.3.

All the displays have been calibrated.

I reverted to Lightroom 5.2.

The desaturated color problem when playing slideshows in 5.3 has been reported by a couple of other people here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reported the same desaturated colors issue on another similar Photoshop Family thread. The colors in my slideshows look muted. Not sure if it started with LR 5.3 but I've definitely noticed it lately. I use a calibrated wide-gamut monitor wit a Mac setup as reported in the other thread.

I've long felt my reds were over-saturated in RAW renderings whenever I use LR, not just in slideshows, which I thought was related to LR's interaction with NEF files. This goes back to LR 4 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution found to this problem? I am experiencing the same thing as the previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually seeing an opposite problem, all my photos become more grey/green/desaturated. They look fine in the module until I hit play. Once I hit play - everything changes. 😞 Not good. Oh, and I should mention this is all on my monitor, not on a projector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Camera Profile? or Adobe Standard? (Camera Calibration section of Develop)

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slideshow currently only displays in sRGB. The team is looking into color management options for Slideshow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Calibration is set to Adobe Standard. I've never changed it so far, that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my monitor is set to Adobe RGB color space. Maybe some of the effect is because of viewing something in sRBG in the Adobe RGB color space. But when I export jpegs in sRGB to upload to smugmug, and view that on my monitor, I don't think they appear as washed out online. Will double-check.

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that the reasons colors look wrong when playing slideshows in Lightroom 5.3 is because it's not attempting to do any sort of color management, even though other parts of Lightroom do?

As Bill said, when I export JPEGs to sRGB and then view them, they don't look washed out as they do when playing a slideshow in Lightroom 5.3. (Nor did they exhibit the red/orange oversaturation that I saw with slideshows in Lightroom 5.0 & 5.2.)

I don't know if you wanted this information from everyone or just Bill, but my camera calibration is set to Adobe Standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may well be a bug/issue here outside of Slideshow being unmanaged/sRGB only - but I wanted to get that info out there first. I've asked someone more familiar with Slideshow to take a look at this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks, Jeffrey. I look forward to hearing more, and I'll be happy to provide additional information if it would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. This looks like an issue beyond the slideshow just supporting sRGB. Hopefully we can address this in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to the fix. If there's any help I can give, let me know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm likewise looking forward to a fix. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be better with the 5.4 update that was released last night. Launch Lightroom and select Help>Check for Updates... to install the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey - any reason why my v5.3 is telling me it's the most up to date version? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference...

Thanks,

Pete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've confirmed that for me, the 5.4 update fixes the problem with washed out colors when playing a slideshow in full screen mode that was introduced in 5.3. Thanks!

I don't know if my original problem - excessive reds and oranges when playing a slideshow in full screen mode when hooked up to the Epson projector (introduced in 5.0) - is fixed, because I don't have access to that equipment at the moment. I will follow up on that when I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seemed fixed to me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed with LR 5.4. Tested on wide gamout monitor calibrated with Datacolor Spyder 3. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate