• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Custom Order lost with slight accidental movement of thumbnail in filmstrip

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sort order is set to date order, it then changes to custom order each and every time an image is edited in Photoshop

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify you are no longer experiencing the issue. Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup - it's bizarre the way it currently works. I've gotten used to it and know, almost every time when LR is going to change to custom order when I don't want it to. Yesterday, I highlighted 6 photos and I saw, in the split second that my hand shifted to the right(too much coffee). I then thought to check the sort order and lo and behold, it was changed to custom, so I changed it back to capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering for a long time why my sort order changed at random.  Thanks John McNairn.  This should be an easy fix for Adobe if they can be convinced it is an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John, I do have logitech software running at the background. I cannot disable it because my keyboard is also from Logitech. LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John, I do have logitech software running at the background. I cannot disable it because my keyboard is also from Logitech. LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I have custom order set and take a round trip - edit in photoshop and save and go back to lightroom the picture and its new linked edit jump to the back. Highly frustrating and slows workflow.

Side note after an above comment about why Adobe doesn't seem to care about this issue  - I have friends pushing me to move to work in capture one, I have others telling me Affinity is soon going to be companioned with its version of a lightroom type programme currently under development.

I am highly tempted especially because while powerful I always seem to be waiting for lightroom no matter how far I upgrade my hardware. Task manager isn't showing any core, ram or disk on close to full capacity yet I'm still waiting for lightroom!

Argggg Rant over.

I use Wacom, I use Genius. I don't use any photoshop plugins - i do rely on sorting and editing many photos and need to do this quickly... The jumping is frustrating if there are 1000 photos in a folder/collection from a wedding etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree entirely, very very frustrating. I too am waiting for the Affinity companion, I already have Affinity. Capture one came close but I rejected it because it lacked sufficient export functions. OnOne was strong contender but performance and again export functions were not good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.... had it for last couple of years at least . The intermittency of it drives me nuts. Come on Adobe ... sort it.  I have a old Wacom attached but never us it. Have tried disconnecting it and problem persists.
We pay a subscription fee and this sort of thing should have been fixed years ago !!. Any body tell me where I can change the sort back to file order rather than capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious, why has no one with the issue simply altered their file naming workflow to rename the photos using the syntax:

YYYYMMDD_hhmmss

And sort by filename, never capture time. Photos edited in PS will still have, perhaps, metadata capture time issues, but that would not effect your sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom might revert to Custom Order even if you have sort by Filename so it wouldn't solve the issue.  Also, renaming all your files seems like an extreme workaround when the easier workaround is to just check the sort on return from Photoshop.  It doesn't happen to everyone and appears random to the ones that is does so I am sure it is a difficult bug to solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david is still moves to custom order, doesn't solve anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon ......  Photos are exported from LR with a specific and relevant filename.  Why would I want to rename in LR prior to exporting, just to keep the image order ??  

And I do think Adobe have not taken Wacom users seriously when looking into this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a side issue - it is a main issue.  And will lose Adobe customers.  Why have they not resolved this issue now - it has been a problem for many many years, and hinders a myriad of users 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list too. I've also had this issue for a few years now. Across new computers and fresh installs of Lightroom and PS. My workflow is to star the images I want to keep and work on. I've never tracked the percentage that this happens but I would say at least 50%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use wacom too 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem also appears, although not consistently, when sorting using ratings in develop module on my last pass to straighten the one's I'm going to export.  I had been sorting, straightening and then turning the sort off after switching to the library module (selecting "None" at the top of the collection window) and that's when I would notice the change to Custom.  I've found that if I turn the filter off with the "switch" before leaving the develop module, it doesn't appear to happen any more.  No external editing tool was used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this off and on for a while.  I can say with confidence that it has to do with the Wacom tablet I have.  The tablet is a new tool for me.  Before, when only using a mouse, the sort order when returning to Photoshop would switch to custom from capture time only if I would change the order of the images before sending the image to Photoshop.  If you move an image around in Lightroom, it automatically changes the sort order to custom.  At least this is my experience.

Now, with the tablet, it has happened most of the time and driving me nuts.  The pen/tablet interface is quite sensitive.  I am having a hard time getting used to the tablet because of this in the first place.  What I believe is happening is when touching the image in lightroom, it moves slightly, perhaps imperceptably, but doesn't actually change the order of the images.  Lightroom, however, see the slight move as an order change and switches the order to custom.  When I go back to using the mouse, the sort order doesn't change.  When I use the pen, it does.

Turning off Lightroom automatically changing to custom order would fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are right, in that the Wacom tablet may have a contributing part to this infuriating issue.  I have come to this conclusion having read many years worth of comments on the matter.  And I have never used a mouse on my iMac, and always had the problem with Lightroom viewing order

I would have thought it is a simple matter for Adobe to strengthen the choices of viewing order, or simply offering a lock for a particular choice of viewing order, which could be toggled on or off if a change in order is required

Rectifying this issue would save hours and hours for many people during photo editing (post shoot production)

Otherwise, time to look for other photo editing software

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I rarely use a tablet and it happens when using the mouse, sadly I have to keep using Lightroom for another year due to a long term project. After that I'm done with it, as much as I like it the problem is nearly constant. I've tried alternative software and some of them are more than viable

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to believe that such a simple and widespread issue has not been resolved after so many years of users having to struggle with this handicap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the last couple of comments intriguing. 

We've never reliably reproduced this behavior in testing. Have any of you disconnected your Wacom tablet and then been able to reproduce this - or is it only reproducible with the tablet attached?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a mouse, so have not disconnected my tablet.  But I understand this issue occurs for others who do not use a tablet.  Is there any way that a viewing choice can be locked i.e. on 'capture time' ?  I literally never use any other sort order !

I could try a test without the Wacom, but not very easily, and probably only confirm what others have found and struggled with as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk...seriously? 100% of my actions in Lightroom is mouse related, the capture time order changes at an extremely annoying rate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me sometimes before I got the tablet.  After I started using the tablet, it happens almost every time.  By saying almost, I mean 99% of the time.  I don't need to unplug the tablet.  I have a mouse also.  When I use the mouse, tablet still plugged in, the problem rarely happens, if at all. 

I agree with Nick, a simple lock to toggle on/off for the sort order would solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I will rephrase my question to you. Do you have a tablet attached or a Wacom driver installed - regardless of whether you use it or not? 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate