• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Exporting photo with brush mask and overlapping red-eye correction fails with "unknown error"

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting a photo with a brush mask and overlapping red-eye correction fails with "unknown error" when Use GPU For Export is enabled.  

Tested on LR 12.1 with Mac OS  12.6.1, 12.6.2, and Mac OS 13.1 on two different machines.

To reproduce:

1. Import the attached JPEG.

2. Enable the option Settings > Performance > Use GPU For Export.

3. Export the photo to the desktop as a JPEG (see the attached screenshot for precise export settings).

4. Observe the following "unknown error":

johnrellis_0-1672698317637.png

The photo has a brush mask applied around the right eye socket, with Whites = 22 and Noise = 18, and a red-eye correction on the right eye.  

See here for the original report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/error-using-the-publishing-service-in-l...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Adding bug number

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The June 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While publishing photos (a single one or a collection set as well) LrC always produce the following error message:

readMetadata: Error when Lightroom
attemps to process a catalog master
image file: "dng_error_file_not_found"
(look at the part after "dng_error" for
a clue to the problem)

Later apears a window with a list of not rendered photos preceded of this message:

Einige Exportvorgänge wurden nicht gerendert.
Unbekannte Fehler. Dieses Foto wurde nicht gerendert.
or in english
Some export operations were not performed
An unknown error occurred. This photo was not rendered.

All the listed photos are exist on the HD as DNG-Files. They appear in the LrC catalog with all their metadata attributes.
They also could without any problems be exported to HD by using the same parameters as in the Publishing Service.

Consequently the Publishing Service of LrC is not usable.

The same problem already occurred in LrC 11.5 so I was forced to downgrade LrC to version 11.4.

Lightroom Classic-Version: 12.0.1 [ 202210260744-9e008017 ]
OS: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition, version: 10.0.19044

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot, library module, grid view, with folders panel shown. Looking to see if their are ? and ! marks, thinking missing photos

see:

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error currently affects any photo in any of my collections.
None of this photos are marked with "?" or "!" in the library module. They were neither moved nor missing.
All the photos are stored on an internal HD. It is still possible to develop this photos and also to export
them to any location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Graphics processor information:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (31.0.15.1694)
Initial status: GPU is supported by default for image processing
User Preference: GPU enabled for export"

In Preferences > Performance, try unchecking the option Use GPU For Export.

Also, your graphics driver (31.0.15.1694, 516.94)) is about four months old.  LR is constantly tripping over bugs in graphics drivers, so update to the latest (526.98) by going directly to Nvidia.com.  Try the Studio driver first, rather than the Game Ready Driver (Studio drivers are supposedly better tested with creative apps.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, it has no effect whether GPU support is enabled or even completely disabled: the error still occurs.
Installing the latest version of the NVIDIA Studio Driver (31.0.15.2698) has no effect as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which publishing service are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the disk publishing service only. The target disk is an internal HD,
so the same one as the disk used for storing the source photos as DNG
files. There are enough free space on this disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found only one other relevant instance of this error, which you also found:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/ls-classic-10-4-error-using-publishing-...

Another suggestion: Rarely, LR has been known to corrupt export presets and definitions of publish services. Try creating a new instance of the Hard Drive publish service (right-click Hard Drive under Publish Services and do Create Another Publish Service).  Does that new instance also experience errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found only one other relevant instance of this error, which you also found:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/ls-classic-10-4-error-using-publishing-...

Another suggestion: ...Try creating a new instance of the Hard Drive publish service...

@johnrellis

Unfortunately, a new instance doesn't behave any better.
But I found out that the bugs were caused by two plugins, Timothy Arme's "LR/Mogrify 2" and Jeffrey Friedl's “Metadata Wrangler” Export Filter, which I've been using for years with no problems. After disabling both and adjusting the publish services accordingly, the errors no longer occur. Thank you for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"“Metadata Wrangler” Export Filter"

Please report the problem to Friedl. He's generally very responsive and actively maintains his plugins.

""LR/Mogrify 2" 

Unfortunately, there's no point in reporting this to the LR/Mogrify2's author -- lots of reports in the forums that he hasn't responded in years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You made two changes, deactivated two plugins, and things now work. But, we're both of those changes required, or just one?

If you put one back, probably the metadata wrangler, does the problem return?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both plugins, even individually, cause "Unknown errors" with a list of not
rendered photos. However, the message "readMetadata: Error when Lightroom
attempts to process a catalog master image file:
"dng_error_file_not_found"" only comes with the Metadata Wrangler.
The regular export with the "Export" function works perfectly with both
plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found that the "Export as before" feature gives the same errors as described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just run into the same issue running MacOS 12.6.2 & LR 12.1.  I do have Metadata Wrangler installed.  I got the same error whether I publish to SmugMug (using SmugMug's plugin) or publish to my hard drive Friedl's Collection Publisher plugin.  Interestingly, some of the photos are published successfully, others are not. Exactly the same photos fail when publishing to each Publish Service.  At this point I can't see what the successful or unsuccessful photos have in common.  It seems random (but I am guessing it's not!). 

I have used these two public services with Metadata Wrangler installed for many years without a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not persuaded that Metadata Wrangler is the culprit. I disabled it in the plug-in manager, and the same files still failed to get published, only this time the error message is different; it simply says "there was an unknown error." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digging into this further, the 18 images that were successfully published were the first 18 in the publish collection. The remaining 44 images failed to publish. The culprit seemed to be the 19th image. When I removed it from the publish collection, all of the remaining photos published successfully, both with Collection Publisher and with the SmugMug publish plugin.  Now I will have to see if I can puzzle out why Lightroom choked on publishing a particular photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent (way too many!) hours trying to track down exactly what steps lead to this error. I can consistently create this error by doing the following: 

1. Start with a photo that needs red eye correction
  2. Create an eye sclera mask and apply an exposure increase, a noise increase, and a whites increase (the order does not seem to matter)
  3. Apply redeye correction
  4. Attempt to publish or export

The export or publish will fail with the error noted by the OP. 

I have tried this with a number of different images (taken with different cameras) that require redeye correction, and the steps consistently lead to the error.

* For the curious, this phenomenon is independent of whether I draw a pentagram and hop five times on my left foot prior to taking the steps above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm can replicate this on my Mac, but only with Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor enabled.  I'll file a precise reproducible bug report on this.   

Can you please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running. Unless this issue can be easily reproduced by Adobe, it will get thrown into the bit bucket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding bug number

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any export with the Jeffrey plugin enabled runs into the render error exactly as described above. As soon as the plugins are deactivated, everything works again. Disabling GPU support doesn't change anything. Error also occurs with simple, unedited images. Please help Adobe!
(Win 11, LR classic 12.1, all plugins up to date)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the Jeffrey plugin"

He has many plugins -- which one in particular? The error message is generic and has many possible causes, and your problem is likely unrelated to that  of this thread. I recommend you contact Friedl next, since the problem could be caused by the plug-in itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These two:

Metadata Wrangler — Control what metadata is/isn't included during any export
Run Any Command — Custom process each image during an export

Of course I had already sent Jeffry the technical logs but didn't reply (which matches the experience of other users).

I suspect that Adobe has changed something in the plugin APIs in recent versions, but I can't prove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is curious is that the behavior people are reporting does not seem perfectly consistent. A couple of people have claimed (and I have no reason to doubt them) that disabling some Freidl plug-ins fixes their issue. But the steps I described above in an earlier post caused the export problem even if all of the Friedl plug-ins are disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's best to start a new thread for the problems with export plugins. "Unknown error" encompasses all internal programming errors, and it's almost certainly the case that the error triggered by rendering a brush mask overlapping a red-eye correction is different from that caused by running two plugins after LR has rendered the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate