• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts after 14.4.1 Update (AMD-only) (affects Cr, LrC & LrD)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since just now, I've been experiencing a weird bug / crash in Lightroom Classic (on a Mac), where ALL my photos suddenly are fully covered in artefacts in the Develop module.

lightroom develop module.jpg

(Screengrab from the Develop module in Lightroom Classic)

When I check the linked RAW + JPEG source files in Finder, they all seem ok (they don't look corrupted, nor show any artefacts here), meaning the issue is within Lightroom.

raw source file.jpg

(Screengrab from the RAW source file in Finder)

When I export images out of Lightroom (with any setting, edited or even not edited), the artefacts are also present on the export files.

export.jpg

(Screengrab from the exported JPG image)

This problem started occuring soon after I applied the new AI noise reduction feature on just ONE (1) photo. 

I already tried:

• Closing and re-opening Lightroom
  • Shutting down (fully), and restarting the computer after 1 minute
  • Switching the GPU accelrator setting in Lightroom on/off

MY SPECS

• Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 - Build (202310121438-d2af310c)
  • Macbook Pro 16" - 2019
  • 2,3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 
  • 32GB 2667MHz DDR4 memory
  • OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this makes the whole software unusable....

Thank you!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 274 Replies 274
274 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for months. While editing, an image will suddenly appear corrupted after making an adjustment. When inspecting the images themselves, they are not actually corrupt. I can typically get it to go back to normal by closing out of lightroom and re-starting my computer. This time around I've gone through that process three times in a row and even switched catalog and the issue persists. I have updated my Lightroom app and my Mac OS is up to date.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.13.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known problem: Please see here:

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts afte... - Adobe Community - 14563606

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2024 Sep 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

j'ai lightroom qui "freeze" principalement dans le module développement et affiche des artefacts verts. J'ai essaye de réinstaller redémarrer... Rien n'y fait.. La chaleur du processeur de la CG ?  Je suis sur mac 

Tout est dans les captures d'écran..

Je n'ai plus d'idée à part reformater toute ma machine et/ou la jeter à la poubelle 🙂 

Capture d’écran 2024-09-20 à 15.12.08.png

Capture d’écran 2024-09-20 à 15.03.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2024 Sep 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I go into the develop module I get lines like below.  They dont show up in Library

Help

IMG_7369.jpgIMG_7370.jpg

[moved from bugs to discussions according to the community rules - Mod.]

[merged with authoritative thread for this issue]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Elzemeyer,

Confirm that you're on an Intel Mac with AMD Radeon 5000-series GPU. If you're not, then do the command Help > System Info and copy/paste its entire output here.

Apple released a buggy graphics driver for it in Mac OS 14.4.1. Most people report images covered with static-like noise but a few have reported problems with LR's AI commands.

Users experiencing noise and artifacts can often work around the problem by restarting their computer and/or setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.  But for problems with AI masking caused by the buggy driver, you're out of luck: For some inexplicable reason, Adobe refuses to allow users to disable use of the GPU by LR's AI commands.

Adobe says they notified Apple months ago, but who knows if/when Apple and AMD will release a fixed driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wenn ich die RAW2 improtiert habe und auf entwicklung gehe zeigt der bildschirm nach kurzer Zeit streifen auf dem Bild. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm that you're on an Intel Mac with an AMD Radeon 5000-series GPU. If you're not, then do the command Help > System Info and copy/paste its entire output here.

Apple released a buggy graphics driver for it in Mac OS 14.4.1. Most people report images covered with static-like noise but a few have reported problems with LR's AI commands.

Users experiencing noise and artifacts can often work around the problem by restarting their computer and/or setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.  But for problems with AI masking caused by the buggy driver, you're out of luck: For some inexplicable reason, Adobe refuses to allow users to disable use of the GPU by LR's AI commands.

Adobe says they notified Apple months ago, but who knows if/when Apple and AMD will release a fixed driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experiencing this problem tried Mac OS 15 (Sequoia)? To help others, please update this thread with your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using:
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAC OS 14.6.1 (23G93)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU
RESTART WORKS!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned the graphics processor off. I do have the AMD Radon Pro 5500M

Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it's fixed in 15, otherwise I doubt it will ever get fixed.  The 5500M was only used on two Intel MBP models that are now 5 years old with x86 OSX support headed to the EOL heap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was in the middle of editing in Lightroom when all my photos started appearing like this:

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 5.49.20 PM.png

I didn't use any unusual settings or anything, but every photo appears like this when I view it. I tried resetting the application and everything else on my computer behaves normally. Has anyone else had this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give more info. What version of Lightroom? What version of MacOS? What are your hardware specs?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular Lightroom (not classic) 

Aaron36104484dbcp_0-1727262337233.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 7.08.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 7.08.07 AM.png

I don't know if this is helpful, but images also look different depending on how zoomed in I am.

Plus, each image will look normal in the preview bar on the bottom, but once in the view/edit mode, it starts looking like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, We're sorry for the trouble.

Please try turning off the GPU and check if it works. (macOS) Lightroom Classic > Preferences > Performance. Then, from the Use Graphics Processor drop-down menu, select Off. Quit and relaunch Lightroom.

You can also check the details here: https://adobe.ly/3Y79o9z.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks!

Shivani 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known bug in the AMD video driver for Intel Macs running Sonoma 14.4 and later. Its unclear if this has been fixed in a later version of Sonoma or in Sequoia. I have seen it on a few images but not recently with a Radeon card in a 2019 MacBook Pro. You can restart the computer or turn off graphics acceleration in Lightroom if this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced this in Lightroom? I was editing yesterday and everything was perfect. This morning I went in and any photo I click on looks like this in 'Develop'.
I have closed out and gone back in. Same thing.
I've 'resest' the photo. Still the same.
Tried a different catalog. Still happening.
I'm stumped 🫣
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.16.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-gpu-develop-edit-view-amp-export-artifacts-a...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

• Go to "preferences" -> "Performance", and under "Camera RAW Cache settings": "Purge cache"
  • Also, under "Performance": set "Use Graphics Processor" to "Custom" instead of "Auto", and then: only "Use GPU for display", and not "Use GPU for image processing".
  • Restart LR

This did the trick!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
11 hours ago 11 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had something similar happen. The below screenshot is what Lightroom gave me when trying to use the AI denoise feature.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 10.38.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate