• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts after 14.4.1 Update (AMD-only) (affects Cr, LrC & LrD)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since just now, I've been experiencing a weird bug / crash in Lightroom Classic (on a Mac), where ALL my photos suddenly are fully covered in artefacts in the Develop module.

lightroom develop module.jpg

(Screengrab from the Develop module in Lightroom Classic)

When I check the linked RAW + JPEG source files in Finder, they all seem ok (they don't look corrupted, nor show any artefacts here), meaning the issue is within Lightroom.

raw source file.jpg

(Screengrab from the RAW source file in Finder)

When I export images out of Lightroom (with any setting, edited or even not edited), the artefacts are also present on the export files.

export.jpg

(Screengrab from the exported JPG image)

This problem started occuring soon after I applied the new AI noise reduction feature on just ONE (1) photo. 

I already tried:

• Closing and re-opening Lightroom
  • Shutting down (fully), and restarting the computer after 1 minute
  • Switching the GPU accelrator setting in Lightroom on/off

MY SPECS

• Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 - Build (202310121438-d2af310c)
  • Macbook Pro 16" - 2019
  • 2,3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 
  • 32GB 2667MHz DDR4 memory
  • OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this makes the whole software unusable....

Thank you!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 279 Replies 279
279 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2024 Sep 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I imported my photos, they were normal in Library Preview but when I switched to Developer Mode I got this crazy coloring on every image. It changes when I zoom it, but I can't get rid of it. How can I correct this?

[moved from bugs to discussions according to the community rules - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you're on an Intel Mac with an AMD Radeon 5000-series GPU. If you're not, then do the command Help > System Info and copy/paste its entire output here.

Apple released a buggy graphics driver for it in Mac OS 14.4.1. Most people report images covered with static-like noise but a few have reported problems with LR's AI commands.

Users experiencing noise and artifacts can often work around the problem by restarting their computer and/or setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.  But for problems with AI masking caused by the buggy driver, you're out of luck: For some inexplicable reason, Adobe refuses to allow users to disable use of the GPU by LR's AI commands.

Adobe says they notified Apple months ago.  There have been a few reports that updating to Mac OS 15 (Sequoia) fixes at least some of the issues.  If you try Mac OS 15, please let everyone here know whether or not it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2024 Sep 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spot on! A good old-fashioned restart seems to have corrected the artifacts, which're no longer showing. Thank you for your fast response~

Votes

Translate

Translate