• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Inconsistent counts in the Metadata browser for directly assigned keywords containing children

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Metadata browser's Keyword column in hierarchical view shows inconsistent counts for directly assigned keywords containing child keywords.  

My personal catalog has many, many such instances of this. They're easy to find: Configure the Metadata browser with two Keyword columns, the first with View > Hierarchical and the second View > Flat. For example, "Dubrovnik" shows a blank count in Hierarchical and a count of 79 in Flat:

johnrellis_1-1690785009586.png

To reproduce:

1. Download this tiny catalog and open it in LR:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hckz8qbeqk3nynnrtbojj/keyword-column-bug.2023.07.30.zip?rlkey=ymrubwd...

2. Do File > Library Filters > Enable Filters.

3. In the Library Filter bar, click Metadata.

4. Remove the last two columns, leaving two columns.

5. Configure the second column to Keyword / View > Flat, the first column to Keyword / View > Hierarchical.

6. In the Keywording panel, set Keyword Tags to Enter Keywords.

7. Select 1.jpg and assign the keyword A>A1 in the Keywording panel.

8.Select 2.jpg and assign the keyword A>A2.

9. Select 3.jpg and assign the keyword A>A3.

10. Select 4.jpg and assign the keyword A.

11. Select 1.jpst and assign the keyword B>B1.

12. Select 2.jpg and assign the keyword B>B2.

13. Select 3.jpg and assign the keyword B>B3.

14. Select 4.jpg and assign the keyword B.

15. Observe in that the first Keyword column correctly shows a count of 1 for A but incorrectly a blank count for B:

johnrellis_0-1690784625341.png

16. Let you have problems reproducing this, you can download the final version of the catalog with the inconsistent counts:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0o14dn2zcwfnk7ix241w8/keyword-column-bug-final.2023.07.30.zip?rlkey=x... 

Tested on LR 12.4 / Mac OS 13.4.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parent levels in hierarchy keywords when using the filter bar do not consistently show the count of photos in the children keywords. The parent Keyword tag options can be either checked or unchecked for 'Include on Export' and that does not change if they show the count of children photos. Attached is a screenshot indicating the missing counts.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 9.28.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

In the hierarchical view of the Keyword column in the Metadata browser, LR shows a count to the right of the keyword only if the keyword has been directly assigned to one or more photos. In your example, "CA" has been directly assigned to 6 photos, while "animal" hasn't been directly assigned to any photos.

To see how many photos have been assigned to "animal" or any keyword contained by "animal", select "animal" and then look at the top line of the filmstrip:

johnrellis_0-1690529747829.png

To see how many photos have been directly assigned to a keyword, not counting child keywords, switch the Keyword column to Flat view:

johnrellis_1-1690529881492.png

When you select a keyword in Flat view, it will display only those photos to which the keyword has been directly assigned, not photos assigned with child keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks for the reply about parent keywords being directly applied to photos that also have the child keyword. However, in my example, 'Petaluma' is directly applied to the 6 photos where 5 of them have a Petaluma child keyword 'Thrifty Hippie' and 1 has the child '2nd St'. Yet the 'Petaluma' parent doesn't show the count of 6 when I select all 6 photos in the grid view. I have attached the keyword entry panel view that shows 'Petaluma' as being directly applied to all 6. Why isn't the count of 6 showing up for 'Petaluma'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see this too for some parent keywords, but not for all. I have no idea what makes one parent keyword show the count, and another one not show it when that other parent is definitely assigned directly to at least some images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it in my personal catalog too.  A bug has crept in at some point, and I just filed a bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/inconsistent-counts-in-the-metadata-browser-fo...

It's straightforward to find the inconsistencies: Configure the Metadata browser to have two Keyword columns, the first with View > Hierarchical and the second View > Flat.  For each ancestor keyword in the hierarchical column showing a blank count, click on it and look in the flat column to see if it appears there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirmed that the bug recipe works correctly in LR 13.0, as does my personal catalog. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate the confirmations @johnrellis 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate