• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: JPEG file display corruption

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported my JPEG collection and noted that several images have their lower half displayed in black and white with some orange hue, other are completely distorted. The original image looks fine when rendered by any other image viewer or editor I have (i.e. Preview, Picasa, Xee, Canon DPP, Firefox, Safari. Upgrading to 5.3 did not help.

Here is a screenshot and an original image that can be used for comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89g6zglpz7...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017
This issue was fixed in Lightroom 5.4/Camera Raw 8.4 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS version? Where are your images located - are they on an external drive, or network drive? Is there a pattern to this occurring with images in a specific location?
This could be a problem with your preview file - it has the same name as your catalog, but ends in previews.lrdata, and is saved in the same location as your catalog. You can delete this file (catalog-name preview.lrdata), and then see if the images still have the same issue.
If that doesn't work, try resetting your preferences: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/r...
Have you opened and saved these images in other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am running LR 5.3 on Mac OS 10.8.5. The images are located on the system drive in the ~/Pictures folder. The affected photos are coming from two folders storing photos I took and extracted from the camera at different times as well as a couple of 10 year old desktop backgrounds. After deleting the preview file I briefly saw the thumbnails being shown correctly and as the previews were generated these files getting back to the distorted image. Deleting the preferences and the previews folder again did not change things. The photo thumbnails were looking good for a glimpse of a second until the previews were generated.

Please note that every other program that can open JPEG files has no problem displaying them correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doru, it looks like the files have been modified in some way by Picassa. Are you using Picassa on you system? If so, what version? Are you making any specific changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, I have been using Picasa for years. My entire photo collection has been imported and edited with it. I do basic editing like cropping, automatic exposure and white balance correction, and on occasion fill light and red-eye corrections. At the end I flatten the picture and remove the originals to save space.

The important part here is that until now I have not seen any images being rendered incorrectly with any other Mac or Windows program except LR. Over the years I shared the albums with friends who also use a variety of Apple and Windows computers and none reported any issues. I would suggest investigating the JPEG decoding algorithm implementation used by LR as this is so far a singularity. If needed I can provide a few more pics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doru, no need. The file you posted works to reproduce. The team is looking into it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This issue was fixed in Lightroom 5.4/Camera Raw 8.4 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate