• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens metadata field missing on import

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating Photoshop and Lightroom, I've noticed that the aux:lens metadata field is being deleted from my images on import, such that there is no lens listed after import. I've determined that it's Camera Raw 9.5 that seems to be the culprit, as lens metadata is retained if I use an older version of the DNG Converter v8.8 to import the same images.

For example, I had an image shot on a Sony RX100 III at 8.8mm. If I import this image with the old version of DNG Converter, and then open the converted DNG in Photoshop, the lens is reported with the full-frame equivalent focal lengths, i.e., 24-70mm F1.8-2.8, and the raw metadata has the correct aux:Lens field (24-70mm F1.8-2.8).

Conversely, if I import the same image directly into Photoshop or Lightroom, the metadata will display the correct focal length, but will not display the lens information; Lightroom reports this only as "unknown lens," and in Photoshop the aux:Lens field is missing completely.

For now, I will use the old version of DNG Converter as a workaround, but this is inconvenient, and really should be fixed.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016
This should be fixed in the Lightroom CC 2015.5.1/6.5.1 update that was released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/04/lightroom-cc-2015-5-1-now-available.html

See this document for parsing the lens metadata: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lens-metadata-hidden-on-some-cameras-in-lightroom-6-5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 142 Replies 142
142 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, can we please stop cluttering this thread with DNG vs NEG etc discussions. I want to be informed about the fix for this and please vote to get this fix. Any other discussions are only distracting. I subscribed to this thread because I want to know when it is fixed and not get my maibox full with age old DNG vs native RAW discussions

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve posted several comments back:

Unless you need brand-new camera support, the workaround is to roll back to LR 6.4/2015.4 by uninstalling LR 6/2015 completely--but leave the preferences, don't delete them, then reinstall LR 6/2015, then the .4 update patch, both of which can be downloaded from here: 

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html#lrcc2015

IMHO, for now this is the best solution to the problem. I mean, Adobe doesn't move fast, and even if they do come up with a "fix" who know what else they may break as evidenced in this 2015.5 update?? Go back to 2015.4, like I did, and wait until Adobe fixes this. And even then, I'd wait to see what other bugs they may introduce in the next fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Not sure if this has been reported before. I always use developer view options (Ctrl + J) so I can see the common attributes and exif data. However, Lightroom is not showing lens information or the name of the lens used when choosing common photo settings / Lens / Camera + Lens / Camera + Lens setting. This was not happening before, but happening now with the 6.5 update.

Please can this be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks,

Manzur

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Massively frustrated!!
I have been holding off buying CC for months but finally went for it a few days ago and now on the first import of new images I find I loose the EXIF data for the lens in the Library module. Grrrr...
Filtering my images by lens is something I do frequently, and in the case of this job, is important.
Rant Mode = Off (now)

So, Mr Adobe, went can I expect a fix? And, will it display the lens information for the images I just imported?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to uninstall LR6.5 and installed 6.4 and then just read the metadata from file again. That solved the exif lens metadata issue. Now need to wait for the next update as 6.5 is messing up metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.5. Nikon NEF files loaded after 3-12-15 do not have the LENS information in the EXiF file showing in the Library module for pictures taken with the same lens and camera. The LENS information does show in the exif files when looking at the picture on the camera. What has Adobe lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recovered my previous (Lr 5.7.1) library and went back to working there - thus wasting my subscription for now...
Hence my frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has lost the ability to read/import/display the lens information in the NEF file in the Library module.
In Lr 5.7.1 I can see the lens model in the Library - Metadata view. In Lr CC 2015.5 I cannot (unless imported before 2015.5) when using the same NEF file.
Interestingly, in the Develop module, when applying Lens Correction it picks up the lens model automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a month now and still no fix for a broken update!!!!!!  But, Adobe has not delayed charging me right on time, without any hesitation for my subscription!!!!!!!

I am a very unhappy camper Adobe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thesis getting ridiculous.  Has anyone gotten a refund from Adobe or their credit card?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like that is going to happen!!  This has definitely made me consider dropping the subscription and looking for alternatives when I can do it without penalties.  Then again, by that time Adobe already has my money and doesn't care!  As I said, I am a very unhappy customer!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that there are a coupe of newly announced cameras that the coming dot release would need to support. It took a little bit longer than the usual dot releases that had just the bug fixes. We're at the final stage to certify the build for release. Thank you for being patient. It is just unfortunate in terms of timing. We have zero influence over when the camera vendors will release their cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pleased to hear that fix is coming. I am, however, taken aback by the tone of your post and the suggestion that the timing of this release is in the hands of camera vendors. I bought a program that worked; Adobe, not the camera manufacturers, then broke it. Adobe is responsible for this, Adobe made it difficult for customers who continue to have to pay for the product because it's on a subscription model, and Adobe should have fixed this much more quickly.
This may not be the biggest issue in the world, and I do not want to make mountains out of lens data molehills - but  I -- like many other people who use the program and rely on lens information in our workflows -- had to scramble to find a workaround, which cost me a few hours of time. So -- please. When you acknowledge a problem, issue a mea culpa. Then fix the problem. And avoid, please, the (perhaps unintentional) dumping of responsibility for your issue onto third parties. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a manager of software development, I can tell you that putting out a release is a big deal, involving an insane amount of testing and verification. Each release carries a risk. If you can put out one release instead of two by delaying the release a few weeks, that is generally a better option. That said, some releases have to be rushed out because they contain critical fixes. This is not such a release, because there is a workaround to the lens exif problem. What I would have liked to have seen more of during this episode is more comments from people like Chen giving the community updates on the progress and schedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one pays for a service, one expects reliability and promptness in fixing issues if
changes break something.  That is what a subscription is, a service!  As I said, Adobe was VERY PROMPT in charging me for this service!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently that's what they should have done with the .5 release so we wouldn't be in the predicament in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, the official Adobe response is "we don't plan on fixing this issue until the next major dot release." If someone from Adobe had posted this in response to my original post a month ago, this would have been a disappointing, but at least honest and understandable statement given the underlying business and software development factors. It also would have allowed customers to decide for themselves whether this was an acceptable delay given their current needs, and whether rolling back was an acceptable workaround for them. But that didn't happen. Instead, we got the full story only after one month and a few vague "we're working on it, stay tuned" promises in the interim. I'm not at all surprised that this is how it unfolded, but I don't appreciate the lack of transparency.

At the moment, I'm willing to put up with the workaround and (begrudgingly) continue to pay for CC, because the older DNG converter still works with my existing gear. But I have a hard stop: I doubt the workaround will work for the D500 that I plan on upgrading to. I hope the fix is out by the time I get one, otherwise that could be enough to make me migrate off of Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, the official Adobe response is "we don't plan on fixing this issue until the next major dot release." If someone from Adobe had posted this in response to my original post a month ago, this would have been a disappointing, but at least honest and understandable statement given the underlying business and software development factors. It also would have allowed customers to decide for themselves whether this was an acceptable delay given their current needs, and whether rolling back was an acceptable workaround for them. But that didn't happen. Instead, we got the full story only after one month and a few vague "we're working on it, stay tuned" promises in the interim. I'm not at all surprised that this is how it unfolded, but I don't appreciate the lack of transparency.

At the moment, I'm willing to put up with the workaround and (begrudgingly) continue to pay for CC, because the older DNG converter still works with my existing gear. But I have a hard stop: I doubt the workaround will work for the D500 that I plan on upgrading to. I hope the fix is out by the time I get one, otherwise that could be enough to make me migrate off of Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the double post; apparently I can't delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the exact timing of the dot release update, but it should happen fairly quickly, in the next week or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be a possibility to re-import just the lens metadata? Re-importing metadata usually reeks havoc with development settings (read: voids them) and I want to avoid that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lhiapgpeonk The way to prevent this problem is simple - first save the metadata back to the files. That's Ctrl S on Windows and Cmd S on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John - that sounds as though it could be useful but you mention saving metadata back to the file whereas I and others would want to retain the develop settings when re-importing.
Please could you clarify.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my recommendation to recover the missing lens metadata once you get the next update:
1. In the library module, filter and find all the photos that you imported into Lr since the Lr 6.5 release.
2. Select them all (Ctrl/CMD+A)
3. Invoke Metadata>Save Metadata to Files menu command to save the latest metadata (that includes the latest develop settings) to the files.
4. Invoke Metadata>Read Metadata from Files menu command to read the latest metadata back, including the missing lens metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Simon.

Votes

Translate

Translate