• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Library Previews not updating

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't ever happened to me previously and I edit hundreds of images a day, as a wedding photographer. Has only appeared since latest update (so far as I've seen). 

Edit an image in Develop mode, normally the thumbnail at the bottom would auto update with the new preview/look. It doesn't anymore. Go to Library mode to check, no, no update to the preview, it's still the old look. Force rebuild standard preview (and 1:1 preview) no effect. The Library preview will not update to the new look created in Develop mode. 

Quit LR, then restart it, the preview is updated. 

Even did a Sync of one process, which was converting to BW across 5 images. Four of the images changed profile to the new look, the 1st image in the group didn't. Stuck with previous old version of the look. Quit and restart LR it changed to new look. 

MacOSX 10.15.7

Hampshire Wedding Photographer / Documentary Wedding Photographer
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13.  Using this release we are no longer able to reproduce this error internally. Please install the update and let us know if the issue has disappeared for you as well.

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 243 Replies 243
243 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lightshop, now seeing this post. I also do not write info to xmp I have reported as a bug. Users that have the option selected do not experience the issue.

If you go to the”bug” section of the forum you can view the lengthy discussion. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming asap, in the meantime I have reverted to LrC 11.2.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that option selected and i experienced the bug, I also convert everything to DNG, which integrates the XMP inside the file. 

Anyway my understandment of the issue I dont see how is related that, since is not a problem of LR reading catalogue or xmp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote “Anyway my understandment of the issue I dont see how is related that, since is not a problem of LR reading catalogue or xmp.”

When you are working with LrC the application is reading and writing to the Catalog file. The option to write to xmp allows other apps mainly Bridge / ACR to access the work you have performed in LrC.

At initial import if there is xmp info available LrC will read and apply that metadata. Thereafter LrC does not automatically read from the file, you are likely to get a prompt that there is a “conflict” and if you wish to replace the info in the Catalog with the info from the file that requires a user intervention.

I wish to avoid that decision, and always retain my LrC work free from what I may have done elseware. Just my preference, I also avoiding DNG.

I accept that other users wish to utilize those “options”.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Adobe, please address. We pay too much for this software for it not to be immediatly addressed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thus far the team has been unable to replicate this behavior on our test machines. If anyone can provide clear, step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue, we would be happy to attempt them again.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a screen capture video of what's happening helpful to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting something similar, when pasting develop settings to other RAW images in Lightroom CC, the compare and loupe views are not updating the previews. Only the develop view is showing the updates. I have to then change something in the develope settings, then switch back to the compare or loupe view to see an update to the preview.

When I try to build previews, it says previews already exist.

I updated to 11.3.1 a few days ago, and I don't know if the problem with the previews started before or after the update.

Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue, nothing helped me yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lightshop, are you able to identify some of the changes that you are making in the Develop module that do not show in Library? For example do they have anything to do with the new Masking features? Something that we can try to replicate?

See the latest post by Rikk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User Flohr, trying to think out of the box, we know that there is one bug report posted in the bug section that identifies that metadata from crops applied in Develop module does not display correctly in the Library module metadata for users who do not have “automatically write metadata to xmp” selected.

The Author of this post confirmed that he does not have that option activated.

Has anyone been checking the issue raised, with that option deselected?

Also I have reached out to the Author for additional info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:
Scenario A

• After making first develop edits to unworked RAW files in develop module, library previews only show updates for half a second before changing back to the old embedded preview. Attempting to manually build standard sized previews shows error "already exists". The previews only show the current updates after relaunching Lightroom Classic, or after entering develop module to make secondary edits.

Scenario B

• After pasting develop settings to unworked RAW files, library previews are not automatically generated, even after entering and exiting develop module without making further edits. Must then manually generate standard-sized previews.

Scenario C

• After pasting different develop settings to worked RAW files, previews are not updated. Attempting to manually build standard sized previews shows error "already exists". The previews only show the current updates after relaunching Lightroom Classic, or after entering develop module to make secondary edits.

Provide Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1
Provide OS and version: Windows Pro 21H2

Provide good steps to reproduce the behavior:

Scenario A

• Import RAW files to library
  • Enter develop module for an unworked RAW file
  • Make develop edits for the first time
  • Enter Library grid view, updated preview shows for half a second then switches back to the old embedded preview. Loupe and compare view also shows the old embedded preview.
  • Build standard-sized previews error says "already exists"
  • Must either relaunch Lightroom or enter develop module to make additional edits, for the preview to update

Scenario B

• Import RAW files
  • Copy and paste develop settings to unworked RAW files for the first time
  • Previews not updated, shows the old embedded preview
  • Enter develop module and exit without making further edits, previews not updated
  • Must manually build standard-sized preview

Scenario C

• Copy and paste different develop settings to worked RAW files
  • Previews not updated, shows the old preview in grid, loupe, and compare views
  • Build standard-sized previews error says "already exists"
  • Must either relaunch Lightroom or enter develop module to make additional edits, for the preview to update

Expected result: Lightroom Classic should show updated previews
Actual result: Lightroom Classic shows old previews

[Moved to bugs by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a bug report if you want to add to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes @Rikk Flohr: Photography Thanks for your interest. Have a look at the two short video clips. These images are straight untouched imports (although my default import has a few minor tweaks). The first video shows a develop module adjustment - I used an outrageous colour balance adjustment just to easily demonstrate the effect but it applies to all develop module adjustments. Notice how the grid preview very briefly shows the develop adjustment in the video. The second video shows a synchroniation of one of the images that has been converted to B&W and toned: bizarrely, the synch does not display on one of the selected images, but does to the others. The synch has actually worked on all selected images. It's just the Library views don't show it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. For the time being it looks as if clicking the "automatically right metadata to xmp" has fix my problems.  We'll chalk this up to user error. 🙂 

I will say that I never touch my catalogue settings, so it is odd that it just started happening to me out of the blue. But if checking a box fixes everything that will be awesome. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lightshop, I am not able to repeat what you show in the video screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Automatically write metadata to xmp option in LrC is not the default function for the application. If you are attempting to perform a function in LrC that is not being completed as designed it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Using/adopting the option below is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, I brought it up in Discussions forum last week (didn't have time to work out how to file a bug report). 

System iMac

3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9, 64Gb memory, OSX 10.15.7, LR 11.3.1,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lr-11-3-1-previews-not-updating/m-p/129... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this too, it's started happening just within the last couple of weeks. As well as images not updating when in Library view, pressing F to view images in fullscreen also often shows the 'old' version.

I'm on 2021 MacBook Pro 14" with Apple M1 Pro, 32gb memory, running latest version of MacOS Monterey, so it's definitely not an issue with my OS/laptop being out of date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an OS problem, I'm seeing this issue on 2021 MacBook Pro 14" with Apple M1 Pro, 32gb memory, latest version of MacOS Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why but it started working again today. I could not reproduce the bug anymore. The difference today was that I used the big import button to add photos to the library.

The past week I was using the add folder function from the folder list. Maybe using this function first thing after updating Lightroom messed up the preview caching, and then using the big import button fixed it. See if this fixes it for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reply to my own bug report. Maybe someone else could post my solution to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Import button all the time - it's made zero difference, the issue still exists. It's not repeatable on every image. It seems random. But it sure is repeatable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Since the update to Lightroom (Classic) 11.3.1.
After making adjustments in the Development module and synchronising (develop settings - sync settings) this adjustments to other photo's the previews won't get updated.
But when i select one of these synchronized photo's in the Loupe view it shows the photo with the synchronised adjustments, both in the Loupe view and in the Grid view.

I few seconds after selecting another photo in the Loupe view the adjusted view of the previous one in the Grid view automatically fall back to the original imported raw file view.

After restarting Lightroom the photo's in the Grid view will be visible with the adustments i made before (like it was in the previous versions of Lightroom).

I hope Adobe will fix this bug soon. Its very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the import button, still doesn't work for me.

(I also can't reply to the bug report)

Votes

Translate

Translate