• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Library zoomed view shows wrong color

Participant ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When zooming into an image in library mode, the color changes suddenly and differs from all the consistent colours shown in develop mode or library mode (fit image). I just updated to LR10.1 and appreciated other fixed bugs. I am using an external BenQ display calibrated to AdobeRGB profile using xrite. The images have Adobe profiles (AdobeVivid) applied.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My son is using sRGB, perhaps that's the difference?"

Which setting exactly do you mean he is using? The system wide color profile? In that case his colors might be so out of whack that he may just as well not see subtle variances of saturation this bug involves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another Mac OS Big Sur user who's seeing this bug--namely, inconsistent colors at different levels of zoom in the library module, as if Lightroom loses track of the color model (ProPhoto, sRGB, etc.) it should be using to render its own previews.

I wonder if this has something to do with Apple's new active profiling, which adapts system profiling on-the-fly to accommodate HDR images or video alongside "normal" content when necessary?

Regardless: I upgraded to Big Sur only because Adobe announced Lightroom Classic had been thoroughly tested and was compatible. I waited until you guys told me it'd be OK. Can you understand how frustrating it is, then, to encounter this obvious, glaring bug right out of the gate?

And then your latest update doesn't address the issue, even though people have been documenting it here and elsewhere across the internet for six weeks? When's the next update? If history is a guide, it looks like I'll be waiting until April or May for spin at the update wheel-of-fortune.

Whoever at Adobe is reading this forum: can I just level with you, one professional to another? Hustling business and staying afloat during Covid lockdowns has been a NIGHTMARE. Surely you understand what the pandemic has done to the imaging industry? To the millions of small businesspeople and freelance creatives who rely on your software? How precarious our situations are, right now? Useless previews in the library module make a hard life that much harder. One more thing that doesn't work in world of things that no longer work. Feels like you guys are just kicking me when I'm down, and I'm the sucker paying you a monthly fee to do it.

Livelihoods depend on your software working when you say it does, as you say it does. Now more than ever. Lightroom Classic is *professional* software, is it not? Honestly, I'm beginning to suspect you don't take that responsibility very seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody needs to create a video of the bug and post on Youtube so it's replicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did it weeks ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same issue for sRGB profile selected in Mac display settings. I would appreciate to see a screenshot of a correct behaviour on any Mac with BigSur and latest LR proving that there is no issue. I would appreciate if there would be from Adobe either a statement that they tried to reproduce it, even if they failed to reproduce it, that they are working / not working on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'm on Big Sur, I see no such bug or change in previews. The bug just doesn't affect all users. It isn't Apple doing anything with the display profile. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not a display / icc profil, the preview on the top left keeps the good colors.

If it was a ICC issue, it would affect all the screen, not just one part of it.

I only shoot RAW (Canon and Fuji), are JPEG affected to ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue, Lightroom classic version 10.1.1.

I have Big Sur, 11.1. 

Canon R5

Macbook Pro 16 (2019)

Same issues on my Max PRO 2013 + blur images ! 

Never had this issue before.

Regards

Serge

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, ok. I get it, I get it. This isn't Adobe's problem; it's my problem.

So, I'll just go ahead and figure out a different way to get my imaging work done, then. My relationship with my customers is too important--again, now more than ever. The work's got to get done, on time or before--under-promised, over-delivered. When I say one of my products is ready, it's ready. I'm not about to just leave customers hanging for weeks on end or brush them off, whether their needs are "not something everyone sees" or no. 

Stay safe out there, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was on BigSur before WITHOUT having this issue. It was introduced with LR update.  I would appreciate Andrew, if you could post a video/screenshot of LR10.1.1 with Library preview in different zoom states, I can send you one of my images, but as the same issue happens with different cameras I doubt that this depends on the images themselves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to reproduce this and have filed a bug. That being said I think it just has to do with the different color space used in the Develop and Library modes. As mentioned earlier, accurate color is best judged in the Develop mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick - understood and known that develop mode is the ultimate way to assess image quality / soft profiling. Still - quick review in Library mode is of benefit and should not disagree in color space - as this was working before and as this allows a quicker walk through of many images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing similar behavior in Lr Mobile on iPad Pro - 
Image color is changing when zooming into raw files in Lr Mobile on iOS / iPad Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a workflow perspective, my problem remains that Lightroom's Library mode has a purpose which has now been rendered far less purposeful. And I relied on that purpose to get work done.

Rick: you can't honestly expect us to cull, manage, and make decisions around voluminous photoshoots by running individual frames one at a time through the develop module. Yet this bug's color shifts in the library mode--particularly when they appear in thumbnails--are significant enough to either make one second guess a photo's quality or usefulness, or to require exactly what you're suggesting--a pass into the develop module to assess whether one's got a keeper. If one is working through hundreds of frames, that's a major time commitment you've now added to the workday.

Respect means straight and honest talk, so here it is: I don't want to hear a pedantic reminder that "accurate color is best judged in the develop mode." It's not an acceptable workaround for the problem, and you know it. How about someone take responsibility? Own the issue? Be professional and proactive: apologize sincerely for the inconvenience, offer a date on which a fix will be delivered, and meet it. That's what every working professional who relies on Adobe software would do if they effed something up for one of their clients.

Nobody forced Adobe to decide that software wasn't a product bought-and-owned, but rather was a continuous customer service enterprise worth a recurring fee. So here we are, paying that fee: where's the service? Own the problem. Give us a fix date. Meet it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wowowooo, we’re having this issue for weeks now, with photos and videos to prove it and the bug has only been filed now?

Seriously?

Does Adobe trust us or does he think we’re using LR during our retirement in Mexico taking pictures of cats and sunsets?

(I prefer dogs and rain...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TomM I confirm, have the same issue on iPad Pro (and on MBP 16 and Mac Pro). No comment 😞

PS : I waiting for month now for tethering with my Canon R5...Adobe is really not responsive...A calamity for the pros...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick > That being said I think it just has to do with the different color space used in the Develop and Library modes.

I'm not convinced about that. I have seen the Library Adobe RGB vs. wider Develop space difference in the past, but it's only usually noticeable on highly saturated reds. The colors in Billijs Locs's video look well within Adobe RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the question (answer) becomes, even IF you have a wide gamut display, color that exist from the raw that exceed that gamut can't be seen as it falls outside display gamut. If you have an sRGB gamut display, you'll see even less of any kind of difference. Since the only accurate way to view color precisely is in Develop from the raw data, what tiny difference may (repeat may) be seen in Library san's a display bug should be virtually invisible. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug;

the color in the Dev Module is correct, in the Lib simply wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks more like an issue where a standard gamut image is represented as a wide gamut photo ( limited color reproduction). I used to have issues on my previous computer with wide gamut screen. I had to run monitor in Adobe RGB mode to have an accurate sRGB color space represented because my system at that point could not output wide AdobeRGB, just sRGB. When I set the monitor in sRGB mode it desaturated all the colors, so in order for it to show the full color range available I had to set it to Adobe RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This looks more like an issue where a standard gamut image is represented as a wide gamut photo ( limited color reproduction)."

What is a 'standard gamut image'? Doesn't matter actually, any image, with an embedded ICC profile will preview correctly under bug free color management behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you calling me a liar, Andrew Rodney?

I'm seeing a difference. Not "may" see it. Am seeing it. And the color shift isn't subtle. It's huge. It's similar, in fact, to the shift that occurs when you look at a ProphotoRGB image in a web browser that mistakenly defaults it to sRGB. Skin tones literally turn shades of green. Not "subtly" green. Vegetable green.

Are the multiple videos posted, here, documenting this obvious, significant color shift also lies? Are they doctored? Come on.

A working library mode--i.e., one in which people in my portraits aren't GREEN--would help me get work done. It would allow me to make at least some level of culling / managing / collecting decision around color. Isn't that the purpose of the library module? Why don't you want that for me or for the other people, here, who've complained, even if it doesn't happen to affect you, personally?

If it were peak wedding season in an healthy world, this room would be deafeningly loud with complaints. Wedding photographers need a functional library module. So do I.

Can you see your way to letting us have that, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who called you a liar exactly where Mark? Do provide a link. 

You are seeing a difference because of a bug. It doesn't show up for everyone and in fact, relatively few of the installed base, and NONE of the pre-release testers saw it, myself included. Absolutely NO, zero, nada issue on this end, with a Mac, Big Sur, a wide gamut display. 

No one is lying, some are experiencing a rare bug. Nothing more.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude.

You are not being cool, here. Not at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate Andrew, if you could post a video/screenshot of LR10.1.1 with Library preview in different zoom states.

And you'd end up with a video in sRGB color gamut, defeating the purpose of a color managed wide gamut display that on this end, behaves with Library previews as it always has. 

Votes

Translate

Translate